Silent Mic footswitch ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
I want to be able to reroute my mic through my iPad for a cheeky vocoder effect on one number and I don't want to faff about with a second mic.  I don't trust the iPad to have my vocal through it constantly and just switch off the effect for 99% of the set, plus I'd have to take my hand off the guitar to switch the effect in and out.

What's the best design for the switching - and would it be silent with just a regular DPDT footswitch and nothing else ?

I was thinking that the vocoded output from the iPad will be at line level, so I can't really use the same channel on the mixer without blasting the input when the iPad is in the loop.  Pain in the arse to have to run another cable and use a whole channel for one bit of one song.

Maybe it would be better to route it all through the iPad after all and keep it all at line-level on the one mixer channel ?  I'm a bit wary of letting a computer sit between my mic and the PA....  You never know what the bloody things are going to do half the time - email notification halfway through a song etc... !

I suppose I could build a footp.... no, that wouldn't work...  .. yes it would... but I'd have to attenuate the line-level output of the iPad down to mic-level so I could use the same channel on the desk....  but then the run from the footswitch to the mixer would become unbalanced - and mic-level.  Shit.

Answers on the back of an RS catalogue...
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited December 2017
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Almost the perfect box ....

The standard box mutes the 'AMP' output along with the main XLR mic out (the 'TUNER' always remains active) - but Orchid do custom builds and may be able to configure this so that the 'AMP' mutes when the XLR is active (and vice versa).

Orchid balanced mic mute pedal
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    That won’t do it I’m afraid.  What’s going to mute the clean mic channel when it's Dalek time?  I need to be able to switch from 100% clean to 100% iPad without moving.  I can’t be faffing around with the mixer mid-song.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Would something like a Boss LS-2 or an EHX Chill Switch do the job?
  • Silent mic, holy night ,
    All is calm, All is bright.
    Round yon monitor, Emp Fab and axe,
    Vocal effects so crazy and wild,
    Sing in vocoder noises,
    Sing in vocoder noise. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited December 2017
  • No it doesn’t, right from mic to splitter, out put from splitter into channel 1 on box. Signal from split into iPad return from iPad into channel 2 on box
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Get a vocal fx pedal, it’s a lot easier?! 
    Almost.....   the output from the iPad (via a Line6 Sonicport) going into Ch1 on the box will be line-level.  The signal going into Ch2 will be mic-level.  I'm assuming that's what the pad switches are for then.  Obviously, I need to get the same level at the output regardless of which input is selected.

Just out of curiousity, and because I've never done it myself, would you trust an iPad to reliably pass your mic signal through it without fail, gig after gig ?  I've only had the iPads a short while, relatively speaking, and they do seem to be very dependable.  I certainly would never consider routing my vocals through a Windows box for live use - but the simplest option of all would be to have the iPad permanently in the loop and just switch the effects in or out from the screen.  Would you trust it not to go mental and start announcing a reminder for your appointment with the GUM clinic, mid-song ?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Simplest way to attenuate the level on the iPad is to turn down the volume ...... the headphone output isn't line level it's headphone level (more capable of power than large voltage swing ) so designed to drive into 32 Ohms or less ...so will be fine into a Mic pre as long as you turn the level down to non clipping

I work with people who use iPads for all kinds of stuff and they are reliable as long as you are careful with the sockets .... having said that I wouldn't pass my mic signal permanently through one, I would buy a £10 splitter 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Actually, thinking about it....  I'm also going to be using a Digitech JamMan Stereo to trigger prerecorded samples from - little synth intros, rhythym guitar parts to fill the holes when I do the solos (I'm the only guitarist) etc.  I could prerecord the vocoder parts and just trigger them in the same way.  I would have to mime over them though - and I'm not overly happy at that idea.  (The song in question is ELO's 'Mr Blue Sky').  I already feel like I'm 'cheating' a bit with the samples.  Miming to a prerecorded vocal (albeit a robotic voice) is a another step further.

However - will the audience care if the robotic voice is 'live' or a sample ?
    @Danny1969 ...it's not coming from the headphone socket, it's coming from the connected Sonicport interface.  According to the spec, I can pick either the 3.5mm headphone out jack or the 1/4"  'Guitar / Line Level' output. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Danny1969 ...it's not coming from the headphone socket, it's coming from the connected Sonicport interface.  According to the spec, I can pick either the 3.5mm headphone out jack or the 1/4"  'Guitar / Line Level' output. 
    Ah ignore what I said then :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I never ignore you Danny, you are always there with excellent advice whenever I ask some daft question about live performance and gear set up.  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    It sounds like the second mic is actually the less faffy approach.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Why do that or buy a pedal? When you can lash together some unreliable heath Robinson method and look a tit when it goes wrong 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    wayneirie said:
    Sporky said:
    Why do that or buy a pedal? When you can lash together some unreliable heath Robinson method and look a tit when it goes wrong 
    Why so sarcastic?  I’m only asking for advice.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Emp_Fab said:

However - will the audience care if the robotic voice is 'live' or a sample ?
    No. Most people - if they think about it at all - assume that a Vocoder is a ‘synthesiser’ anyway, so they won’t find it odd if you’re not even visibly singing at the same time.

You will have to mime with a little toy keyboard though ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Fuck it then....  into the JamMan it goes!  I was sort of looking forwards to playing with this though...  nothing stopping me nonetheless...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oMeaP8-VJFA