Boss Katana 100 gig report

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Danny1969 said:

I think a lot has to do with how players play.  I had a similar experience to the OP and gave up, but the Katana's sound good for most people and to be fair, I've no doubt I'd think the same about listening to somebody else play them.

To me for gigging it's a no brainer, for an extra £50 and 5kg, I'd go for a used Hot Rod Deluxe (like the one in the classifieds), which to me sound instantly good.  Clean channel set at 5, OD pedal, simple.  But that's all they do.....Wheras the Katana is much more.

One thing I would say, is give the Katana 10 gigs for the speaker to break in and see how it goes.

Yeah that's my view as a working muso, the 100 watt Katana isn't much cheaper than a used quality valve amp which as you say generally sound great with no effort at all. I picked up a nearly new Hot Rod Deluxe for £360 and pretty much loving that 
    I agree with you both and already have a pair of 1x12 valve combos, (hang on, make that four after a recount!) but I wanted something light which didn't need any pedals.

My main issue is that I play guitar and run the PA in my band, and my wife is the drummer. That's a lot of equipment for one estate car plus two people, so we're down to a fairly compact vocal PA, an Arbiter Flats drum kit and the Katana with floor controller stuffed in the back. 

We're looking at how the economy pans out next year with Brexit upheavals etc before shelling out on an HK Audio Lucas PA, which means we can just pick up any old 300 quid hatchback of reasonable size whenever we need to, rather than having to find big money for a van every couple of years. 

I hate to mention the B-word, but during the last recession ten years ago gigs in mid Wales totally dried up, so I'm going to wait until at least next summer before shelling out two grand on more gear. 

If I was just a guitar player I'd still be gigging with half stacks tbh. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Maxx77Maxx77 Frets: 20
    Interesting topic!
    Looking for the 100w combo, mainly for gig use, since my Fender SS60 its quite heavy and i cant park my car inside bars to unload and load it.
    I think ill wait for a few more of your gigs report to pull the trigger ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the issue with it is not volume. its more than adequate in that respect. It comes down to whether you like the sounds and like the way the amp operates, as someone who likes things nice and simple, i found it a bit of a learning curve but now i roughly know what im doing im pleased with it.
    More reports on the Katana p90fool?
    @Maxx77  I've been gigging other amps for the last couple of weeks, but I'm using the Katana this Saturday, in a biggish hotel function room. I've been tweaking EQ in the software to match one of my other gigging amps at pretty high volume as my neighbours were away for a few days, and it's sounding very promising in isolation. 

Watch this space!
    thx m8
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    @Maxx77  I've been gigging other amps for the last couple of weeks, but I'm using the Katana this Saturday, in a biggish hotel function room. I've been tweaking EQ in the software to match one of my other gigging amps at pretty high volume as my neighbours were away for a few days, and it's sounding very promising in isolation. 

Watch this space!

So how are you getting on with it now?
    Well, more or less ok, I'm still gigging it anyway. 
    I'm actually off to a soundcheck in about ten minutes, I'll give you more details tomorrow. 
    :)
    Last night was a struggle, a very crowded pub gig with a lot of ambient noise before we even started, and no stage.

Quieter gigs are ok with the Katana, but when it gets rowdy it loses its dynamic feel, I'm never at the right volume, having to ride the expression pedal all night. 

It's like there's a compressor across the output, if I set up a loud, clean-ish tone and play very delicately it just refuses to get much louder when I really dig into the strings. 

Our next gig is NYE, and I just know in advance the Katana is not up to it, I will have to bring real valves.

It's a shame, I really want a lightweight, single box gigging amp, I'm undecided now whether to sell it or not. It's a handy amp to have around, and I guess it would make an ok backup that's cheap and loud, but it just isn't good enough to be my main amp. 

It sounds great at home, if a little bland, but in terms of being a crucial half of a musical instrument I've had better results bunging a Zoom G3 directly into the PA. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    That's a shame.

I've just picked one up and I'm very happy with it as a home amp. It's useful to know it can be gigged if required and I suspect I would be ok as I'm used to having to set up patches with a few levels when gigging modellers.
    I'm under no illusions it's not going to sound like a half stack.
    It's a weird one tbh, I really like it at home, and I've had a few rehearsals with a country band and a few jams and it's excellent, but I just can't get it to sit right in a rowdy gig.  

I have a kind of backup plan in a pressure situation with a good valve amp, just turn it up way loud and do it all from the guitar. The tone at any given time might not be exactly what you'd choose, but it'll be musical and playable with a bit of sensitivity and skill. 

I just cannot get the Katana to do that for some reason, it's totally unpredictable in the way that it can suddenly be very trebley, or certain notes on the fretboard will leap out at you.  
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited December 2017
    p90fool said:
    It's a weird one tbh, I really like it at home, and I've had a few rehearsals with a country band and a few jams and it's excellent, but I just can't get it to sit right in a rowdy gig.  

I have a kind of backup plan in a pressure situation with a good valve amp, just turn it up way loud and do it all from the guitar. The tone at any given time might not be exactly what you'd choose, but it'll be musical and playable with a bit of sensitivity and skill. 

I just cannot get the Katana to do that for some reason, it's totally unpredictable in the way that it can suddenly be very trebley, or certain notes on the fretboard will leap out at you.  
    I play classic rock and blues and been watching this thread with huge interest as I really liked the idea of a lightweight amp and floor pedal that I could use backline or through the PA. But reading about the live problems you've had with your Katana suggest that it's not going to do what I need on stage.  It's really disappointing as up to now I've only read good things but most of that has been based on home playing. 

The idea was to get a 100w Katana and if it did the job to then sell my Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX rig. The ridiculous thing is that the AD120VTX is brilliant live; the mix of modelling and valves that are in the power section and the way it changes with volume and reacts with speaker impedance makes it very valve-like. 

The problem is it's size and weight - 58lbs amp, 14lbs VC12 floor controller plus mini pedal board for fx. I'm now 60 and I just can't carry it anymore up and down stairs and in and out of the car. Hence why I'm now using my Vox Tonelab SE and LE which are good but I love the simplicity and tweakability of the Valvetronix.  I really was hoping the 32lb 1x12 100w Katana might have been the answer. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    p90fool said:

Have you tried mic’ing it up to the PA or a blend of both? 
  • ive gigged my katana live approx 30 times since ive had it. we are not overly loud but not quiet either. at high volumes i would say it doesnt have that thump of a valve amp through a 4 by 12, but im using  the 1by 12 combo,  not micced up. ive found the cleans are great and cut through no problem, the drives have to be pulled back a bit as can get lost. i think expectations need to be managed as there was a lot of hype about these amps.  I bought it cos i saw one used and i fancied a lightweight amp for home, jams and rehearsals but i found it was very giggable. and the size and weight issues that Voxman stated.im keeping my laney vc30 2by 12 as its a nice amp and i will use it at some stage but im finding the katana works for me in the band im in now
  • As a Luddite, I’ve never set eyes on a Katana - let alone played through one - but given that a copy of The Times more expensive, aren’t some people’s expectations rather high? It seems that the answer to any ‘What amp?’ question is ‘Katana’ - much like it used to be ‘Lazy J’ if more money was being spent....

My guess - having not tried one - is that it is the modern-day Peavey Bandit - great value and useable - but not really a substitute for a Matchless/Bogner/Two Rock/vintage Fender, et al. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • As a Luddite, I’ve never set eyes on a Katana - let alone played through one - but given that a copy of The Times more expensive, aren’t some people’s expectations rather high? It seems that the answer to any ‘What amp?’ question is ‘Katana’ - much like it used to be ‘Lazy J’ if more money was being spent....

My guess - having not tried one - is that it is the modern-day Peavey Bandit - great value and useable - but not really a substitute for a Matchless/Bogner/Two Rock/vintage Fender, et al. 
    yes , bang on.  its a great "working amp" it does have loads of options and a degree in computer science is optional, but you can use it as simple as you like. I thought thats what i would do, i like simplicity. but i have delved into hooking it up to a pc and had some fun making and saving settings . i've never owned a boutique or really expensive amp so im not spoiled by the best gear. but it works and my band like it and im confident playing it live. modern day bandit is a good analogy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:

In fairness to the amp (and I think you are being fair), you are very much a dynamic player - plenty of valve amps would struggle with your use case, and the fact a katana has been seriously considered by yourself is a good indicator of its quality I think. 

Really enjoyed your review. 
    Adamski said:
    p90fool said:

Have you tried mic’ing it up to the PA or a blend of both? 
    I always mic it, and am in charge of the desk on pub gigs so can do whatever I want with that regarding FOH and monitoring. 
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:

In fairness to the amp (and I think you are being fair), you are very much a dynamic player - plenty of valve amps would struggle with your use case, and the fact a katana has been seriously considered by yourself is a good indicator of its quality I think. 

Really enjoyed your review. 

Very valid point. I think @p90fool use case is about the least suited to a modeller and the most suited to a simple valve amp. The Katana getting anywhere close to doing the job is extremely impressive.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    Voxman said:

The idea was to get a 100w Katana and if it did the job to then sell my Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX rig. The ridiculous thing is that the AD120VTX is brilliant live; the mix of modelling and valves that are in the power section and the way it changes with volume and reacts with speaker impedance makes it very valve-like. 

The problem is it's size and weight - 58lbs amp, 14lbs VC12 floor controller plus mini pedal board for fx. I'm now 60 and I just can't carry it anymore up and down stairs and in and out of the car. Hence why I'm now using my Vox Tonelab SE and LE which are good but I love the simplicity and tweakability of the Valvetronix.  I really was hoping the 32lb 1x12 100w Katana might have been the answer. 
    I think I’ve said this before in which case I apologise ;), but you need to find an AD60VTX. I’m not totally sure of the weight but it should be around 40lb I think.

I’m actually thinking of looking for one since I’ve always loved the Vox sound but can’t be bothered with the weight of an AC30 now...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson