Muso Classifieds: A Rant

What's Hot
jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
edited December 2017 in Live
So this morning I have a private message on Join My Band. I’ve had a comprehensive advert on there for most of the year. I list my many influences, I have YouTube links to my last two bands. So you can see what I look/sound like and my playing style. So if you can be bothered to read, you know that I’m into various rock music forms. Classic/Prog/Alternative & Shoegaze. The advert also states that I have no interest in covers bands.

So why email me with a vague offer of a band without any detail whatsoever. I guess It’s intriguing, so I email back asking about style of music originals/covers etc.

The response back is “Reggae & Soul covers”. Nothing wrong with that, I have been known to play a bit of reggae years ago when I stood in for a guy in a Bhangra outfit. But why bother contacting me, especially as my advert obviously states my interests? 

This is happened to me before when a band in Brixton just nodded their heads to everything I said, took me on for two months. Then said they didn’t like my playing style and wanted me to be more like St Vincent. My response was “You knew my influences and playing style from my advert on Gumtree, did you think I was going to magically change one day and develop tits?”

Sorry rant over. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ah Join My Band, have had all sorts of funny replies from there. Like you I stated all my influences and clearly wanted to form/join an ORIGINALS band. Yet people are so lazy these days and don't read I had all sorts of offers to join 60's covers functions bands and all sorts. Messages are sent using text talk (mostly from teenagers using a free site) and not bothering to check out any links. It was a total waste of time and unsurprisingly none of the lineup members were found from there.
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    Ah Join My Band, have had all sorts of funny replies from there. Like you I stated all my influences and clearly wanted to form/join an ORIGINALS band. Yet people are so lazy these days and don't read I had all sorts of offers to join 60's covers functions bands and all sorts. Messages are sent using text talk (mostly from teenagers using a free site) and not bothering to check out any links. It was a total waste of time and unsurprisingly none of the lineup members were found from there.
    Having just had a similarly "interesting" experience on JMB, where did you find your band mates?
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • 4string said:
    Ah Join My Band, have had all sorts of funny replies from there. Like you I stated all my influences and clearly wanted to form/join an ORIGINALS band. Yet people are so lazy these days and don't read I had all sorts of offers to join 60's covers functions bands and all sorts. Messages are sent using text talk (mostly from teenagers using a free site) and not bothering to check out any links. It was a total waste of time and unsurprisingly none of the lineup members were found from there.
    Having just had a similarly "interesting" experience on JMB, where did you find your band mates?
    The last band I was in 2 were off Gumtree surprisingly. The other 2 were via an advert on a noticeboard at the music academy I attended in 2011. Never been lucky enough to already know of a drummer or singer who lived nearby.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don’t think it’s not read what you do, it’s just your local the right age you might be interested
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    4string said:
    The last band I was in 2 were off Gumtree surprisingly. The other 2 were via an advert on a noticeboard at the music academy I attended in 2011. Never been lucky enough to already know of a drummer or singer who lived nearby.
    Right, I am going to give GumTree a go. How bad can it be?  
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • I've had success finding band members using Join My Band. However, my experience has been the same as the OP in that some people don't read the adverts properly.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Ah join my band.. at least you get responses, up in North Wales pickings are slim to none.. 
    I've been contacted a few times over the years, usually by young kids wanting to start a band with metallica covers moving on to originals, or people who have everything in place, the contacts, the gigs, going to be huge! Just don't have songs or people or a clue...

Latest contact.. last year now, was by a band that actually had their shit together, had an album and stuff.. not really my type of music but I thought why not? I'm game..
    Turned out they wanted me to be the bassist. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4string said:
    4string said:
    Right, I am going to give GumTree a go. How bad can it be?  
    You'll still get a few weirdos or timewasters but more chance of something actually happening!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    LuttiS said:
    Ah join my band.. at least you get responses, up in North Wales pickings are slim to none.. 
    I've been contacted a few times over the years, usually by young kids wanting to start a band with metallica covers moving on to originals, or people who have everything in place, the contacts, the gigs, going to be huge! Just don't have songs or people or a clue...

Latest contact.. last year now, was by a band that actually had their shit together, had an album and stuff.. not really my type of music but I thought why not? I'm game..
    That worked out ok for Noel Redding... :)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    p90fool said:
    LuttiS said:

That worked out ok for Noel Redding... :)
    He never seemed happy, though.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    prowla said:
    p90fool said:
    LuttiS said:

That worked out ok for Noel Redding...
    True, one of the all time great pub bores.

He tried to shove me out of the way in a "Do you know who I am?" manner on the Fender stand at a trade show once while I was doing a deal with a salesman, so I stepped backwards onto his foot and stayed there until his minder politely asked me to move.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • once went to an audition, the band had sent me a songlist of about 80 songs, I knew  about 60 of them anyway, they said pick 12 and we'l go through them. fair enough. at the audition they asked me to choose one, i did all ok, then said choose another, which i did. they said we dont know that one yer, so i picked again, sorry, not done that one yet. "but its on your list?" turned out they only knew about 10 of the songs on the list but hadnt told me which ones. lol. also they said they were gigging every month and were gonna step up to twice a month. actually they hadnt gigged at all yet.  Nice poeople and not bad players but total airhead dreamers and bulshitters.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    p90fool said:
    prowla said:
    p90fool said:
    LuttiS said:

That worked out ok for Noel Redding...
    True, one of the all time great pub bores.

He tried to shove me out of the way in a "Do you know who I am?" manner on the Fender stand at a trade show once while I was doing a deal with a salesman, so I stepped backwards onto his foot and stayed there until his minder politely asked me to move.

What was the minder minding him from??