How excited should I be about playing/buying an Avalon?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    I just bought another Avalon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2017
    here is someone's history of how the Lowden guitar company became Avalon:
    http://acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5017951

to summarise from my perspective:
    • George Lowden ran his guitar factory from 1985 - 1988, and went into liquidation
    • A new company owned by others (Lowden Guitar Company) bought the company assets, and paid George a royalty on guitars sold
    • They made all the Lowdens for ~17 years, effectively building the reputation and large numbers of sold guitars out there being used
    • in 2001 there were disagreements about design changes, and Lowden Guitar Company became Avalon
    • Avalon's 6 luthiers are some of those who built Lowdens since 1989
    • Lowden now is a larger factory, less of a workshop, staffed by much younger luthiers, with less experience
    My conclusion is that many people underestimate the quality and workmanship of guitars from  the Avalon luthiers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • So...how do you feel about Lowdens? ;)
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    it did seem to be the case that, 2nd hand, Avalons went to a fair bit less than lowdens, dunno about now tho.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    A +1 for Avalon... I live 5mins from their workshop and have owned over twenty of their acoustics. Incredible craftsmanship and a nicer bunch of guys you could never meet. 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    edited December 2017
    So...how do you feel about Lowdens?
    Lowdens are great, one of my top 4, exactly the kind of sound I want, but currently they cost more for the same quality level

My potted history of Avalon is intended for the benefit of anyone who does not know about Avalon, personally I think they are ignored by many in the UK, even though they are highly rated in America and Europe.

My personal opinion is that the guys in Avalon contributed a massive part to building the current strength of Lowden as a brand, and yet they do not really benefit from that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    I am still loving mine, completely killed all desire for any other acoustic, which is why I've not been on here much since, just been enjoying playing it. It's been used/gigged twice a week now since I got it and keeps surprising me with the sheer quality it posses.