Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

OK Who forgot to pack the mixing Desk?

What's Hot
FezFez Frets: 499
What have you forgotten to take to a gig?
Prompted by our last gig where we suddenly realised we didn't have the mixing desk. Fortunately the pub is very near my house just the other side of the railway crossing, yup you guessed it I had to wait 7 minutes for the freaking train to pass. How did I forget well the house was at 6s & 7s as my sister was over for Xmas with her mental dog (a large Munsterlander). My mrs wasn't too impressed as she sat with the dog which howled all night. Our kid enjoyed the gig though and got chatted up several times including getting offered charley (not something you should offer a senior operating theatre sister). 
Don't touch that dial.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited December 2017
    ...Guitar 

Which is why I now have a checklist of everything I need stuck to the door and I go through it every single time.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    If I can see out of any of the car windows I've definitely forgotten something...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We have a checklist in the back of the van which gets ticked off when stuff goes in from the storage room to van and out from the venue back into it after shows. I'm usually the one doing the checking and do not shut the doors until every item has been put in there!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Okay, so not guitar related, but this little storey underlines the importance of double-checking to make sure you've got everything ...

So one day several years ago, I offered to take a nephew to Cannock Chase with the mountain bikes. Packed my bike into the car at home, then at his place, unloaded the car, took wheels off both bikes bikes to fit them into the car, then re-packed car with two bikes.....

... only to get to Cannock (90 minute drive), and discover that I forgot to re-pack my own bikes wheels. <Facepalm>

Drove all the way back - rather apologetically, I hasten to add, whereupon, I saw them against the family car as we pulled into his drive.

Strange, but we've never attempted such an excursion again.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    3 times I've accidentally taken our bass players Boss effects to another gig with different bands because his and my GT10 are in identical hard cases ... I've now written my name on my GT10 case like a schoolboy 

The most shambolic muso I've ever worked with ... who I shan't mention cos he's on the way up in the industry has not only turned up to gigs with no guitar  \ amp \ mic his-self  but has forgotten to book a drummer on at least 2 occasions ..... so the gigs have gone ahead with no drummer at all ! :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited December 2017
    We were once late for a gig which was the other end of the country. We had to take a huge amount with us; we were doing 90mph down the motorway, reading down the list and checking we’d got everything when we suddenly realised, we’d forgotten the car.

(* thanks Lee Evans)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    The songs...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I played in a band where the drummer forgot his cymbals once.

Unfortunately, he remembered everything else....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I kid you not, I played in a line up where the headline bands drummer was supposed to provide a kit, with the rest of us bring Snare and cymbals. Drummer got to the gig and the cases were empty. Apparently, he'd worked late - asked son to take the kit appart and then pack the van with the cases, and his son didn't think to put the drumkit in them.

Luckily, our drummer hadn't read the email about sharing, so had his kit and all the bands used that,

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    Normally all the gear is stored in the "Music room" however this being occupied by our visitors the gear was moved to the front hall (double fronted house) and other locations I just missed the mixing desk case on my check round because it wasn't where it would usually be.
    Don't touch that dial.
    When we played Fakefest in the summer we had to get a dep drummer and he turned up with no cymbal stands even though he was told there were only shells provided and he needed to bring breakables. Fortunately one of the other bands helped out phew!
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Since ditching onstage amps and going direct to PA with the kemper the monitor speakers are the things I've forgotten most the time. Should be bloody obvious the car not sinking on its suspension with no marshall half stack in the back.

Think it's me being lazy as I can wedge stuff in without bothering to take the kids seats out the back

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    Guitar Straps.....what a nightmare that was...managed to borrow one off the Bass Player but as all of my guitars have the Schaller Straplock thingies then the fit wasn't that great and with a Boat Anchor with a fragile headstock (AKA Les Paul) it wasn't the most comfortable of gigs.

I have also left all my kettle leads at home after deciding it was a good idea to clear out my leads bag...
  • we had a dep drummer last year who arrived at the gig to find he'd forgotten his cymbals (90 minute drive away) by luck there was a band on before and he bribed them to lend him theres afterwards.   more recently, i bring all the PA , leads, my guitar amp,guitars, lighting. obviously its too much to expect the singer  to bring her mic AND remember to bring her mic stand too. 
  • We left our mixer amp in Yeovil once, I normally carry it, but one of the guys had it for some reason drove all the way to Wales to do the gig. Luckily my old man lived less than 20mile away and brought his over. 
    Then bass amp blew up, but in typical Welsh musician style, a chap said I have an old bass an head down the street borrow that! So we did. 100w SF Fender bass an head as opposed to bassists old Trace Elliott 130w head. Much better sound as far as I was concerned. 
    Also forgot my guitar strap once so had to make one out of a guitar lead and masking tape! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Guitar lead and masking tape to make a strap that's creative. 
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyo said:
    Guitar Straps.....what a nightmare that was...managed to borrow one off the Bass Player but as all of my guitars have the Schaller Straplock thingies then the fit wasn't that great and with a Boat Anchor with a fragile headstock (AKA Les Paul) it wasn't the most comfortable of gigs.

I have also left all my kettle leads at home after deciding it was a good idea to clear out my leads bag...
    Ditto on both counts...it gets more difficult when you are in more than one band doing different things too, one acoustic & one electric, two setups are now the order of the day.  Very miffed as one of my decent Bear Straps was lifted on Christmas Eve too...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    welshboyo said:
    Didn't the bar sell any beer in flip-top bottles?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    welshboyo said:

Ditto on both counts...it gets more difficult when you are in more than one band doing different things too, one acoustic & one electric, two setups are now the order of the day.  Very miffed as one of my decent Bear Straps was lifted on Christmas Eve too...
    Ouch, I do wonder about my Heistercamp straps being lifted, I just live in hope that the average thieving punter isn't intelligent enough to think about straps..

ICBM said:
    welshboyo said:
    Didn't the bar sell any beer in flip-top bottles?
    Didn't even think of that!!! one to remember for next time (and its bound to happen)
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Forgot my amp’s foot controller couple gigs ago. I’m not a pedal guy so I rely on the footswitch for everything.

Biggest problem was that I only realised I’d forgotten it about 10 seconds before we were due to start!

After a mad last second fiddle with the amp’s manual channel selector, I set it manually to crunch and had to completely wing it using pedals and guitar volume for boost/clean (which I had never done before). I think I made it through alive but it was all a bit of a blur...