Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fretboard Jam - North Edition - Sasquatch Studios - Huddersfield - 27th January 2018 - SONG LIST UP!

What's Hot

Comments

• I am singing a lot of songs... I am technically a baritone. If something's too high for me I'll just song it an octave lower and sound even more shit ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm a backing vocalist rather than a lead vocalist but I can sing in tune. I'll see which of those I can carry to give other people's voices a rest. Leave it with me and once I've had a bit of a practice and I'll update. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited December 2017
    I am singing a lot of songs... I am technically a baritone. If something's too high for me I'll just song it an octave lower and sound even more shit  
    Haha. Jam session aside, have you tried Eb tuning? It's only one semitone but it can make a big difference to how comfortable the voice is.  

I've volunteered for Alright Now so I've been studying how Paul Rodgers sings it live. Even in his prime he's taking various shortcuts to avoid the big high notes. Gary Cherone this week was doing similar things with his own material - including dropping an octave in places - so you're in good company!  Although he wasn't singing the whole thing an octave lower, just the difficult bits. Not a bad compromise. 
  • Yeah there's a couple of songs I'm down to sing where I'll have to bob up and down octaves for different parts. Manics is a prime example, the chorus is significantly higher so it doesn't sound too bad dropped down. That's how I've been singing it in practice. Quite how I'm going to manage that at the same time as taking my first tentative steps on lead guitar is another question! It may go horribly wrong but I'm putting in the practice. I think I've got the solo nailed now, and there's no singing for that bit! Just that the trickiest bits on lead are in the chorus, where I'll also be messing about with octaves on vocals. It'll resemble the original...but it won't be note perfect haha! 

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Another song-key question - Travis Why Does It Always Rain is in E not D as per the list, although they clearly wrote it / played it in D then put a capo on the 2nd fret to shift the pitch up. Which key are we going to use in performance?

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited December 2017
    bigjon said:
    Another song-key question - Travis Why Does It Always Rain is in E not D as per the list, although they clearly wrote it / played it in D then put a capo on the 2nd fret to shift the pitch up. Which key are we going to use in performance?

As I'm singing it, I'd be more than happy for it to be the lower of the two! It gets quite whiny high in places  

• I've still not heard from @iseverynamegone ; who was first on the reserve list. I'll give it 48 hours from now for a confirmation, and then I'll bump it on to second in the list and pop you back on the reserve list mate. Want to give people as much practice time as possible. 

Everyone else; still lots of space for guitars, vocals etc and Differs is learning the song list on drums but is more than happy if other people want to take drums on stuff so shout up! He'll happily fill in on bass or rhythm on stuff too. 

I'm pretty sure we don't have keys at all... Right? 

For the main room, @Sasquatch_Bob ; has asked that we try and have a consistent backline setup all day, and with DI where possible. This will enable him up set levels fur the recordings in the mornings and make minimal adjustments during the day. I'm planning to put my Pod / Katana head into one of his Marshall cabs for the day so this will cover a lot of bases for one guitar. We'll need another couple of amp options, preferable with DI. @Bridgehouse ; I'm assuming you can DI out of your bass rig? 

Any volunteers for kit (which I'll let Mark make the final call on) please shout, and be aware that it'll mean you won't have your amp for other rooms as it'll be on use all day, for anyone performing in the main room to use. 

Cheers all, this has been a public service announcement.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Yep. I will bring a DI setup with a QSC monitor and this can be used all day for bass duties - it can be wired or wireless - we can see on the day.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    I'd be happy to drum on "Why does it always rain on me" - I learnt it for the Northampton jam. Will just bring a basic pedal board to plug into any amp that's there on the day. I can bring cymbals for the other room drums if needed.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    I'd be happy to drum on "Why does it always rain on me" - I learnt it for the Northampton jam. Will just bring a basic pedal board to plug into any amp that's there on the day. I can bring cymbals for the other room drums if needed.
    We'll have a full kit for the main room, and the studio have some old cymbals we're welcome to use for the other rooms but if you want to bring better ones you'd be welcome to. Obviously at your risk!

• Also... There's only a month to go! 

Woohoo! 

• @legionreturns. Sorry man count me out, have lots of fun folks. 
  • @legionreturns. Sorry man count me out, have lots of fun folks. 
    Fair enough, thanks for letting us know. 

Next on the list is @Danji ...can you confirm if you want the spot please mate? 

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    I have a 50w Wharfedale head I can bring, if there's a spare cab?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344

I'm pretty sure we don't have keys at all... Right? 

Are keys necessary / critical for any track?

I plugged this in this afternoon (for the first time in years) ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    I can bring an EHX B9 - then anyone can play a few chords organ style.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    mrkb said:
    I can bring an EHX B9 - then anyone can play a few chords organ style.
    Even better - yessir - I've been wondering what those are like!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Looking at @Danji ...he/she hasn't logged in since November so it looks like we might be moving further down the reserve list. 

@Van_Hayden is next, be on notice that you'll likely be in if you're still available.

• What's the latest on the song list. Not checked this thread in ages embarassingly!
  • What's the latest on the song list. Not checked this thread in ages embarassingly!
    This is the last published version but there are a couple of changes to be made.