The "Bass collection re-stocking" thread

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
So following the big guitar clear out I now have funds for more bass action.

I'm currently in conversation with someone about a potential first purchase. I'll update this thread as I grow the collection now the guitar collection has shrunk..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Wonder what the potential purchase could be and what’s the perfect bass collection?
    One P one Jazz and....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I've tried so many Jazz's it's unreal - and didn't like a single one. I'm hoping somewhere down the line I can pick up a jazz-a-like that isn't actually a Jazz. 

I'm looking for one "sensible" gigging bass, and then some wacky stuff for fun. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    Koa said:
    what’s the perfect bass collection?
    One 
    There you go ... you were over-complicating things!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've tried so many Jazz's it's unreal - and didn't like a single one. I'm hoping somewhere down the line I can pick up a jazz-a-like that isn't actually a Jazz. 

I'm looking for one "sensible" gigging bass, and then some wacky stuff for fun. 
    Stingray HH. It’ll do both sensible and fun. Lots of sounds in it
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    edited December 2017
    ICBM will insist that you NEED a Rickenbacker 4001/4003. 

I suggest a German-made Warwick Corvette Standard (the fully passive version). MEC Dynamic Correction J pickups out. Duncan, DiMarzio, Bartolini or Aguilar pickups in.

If you are a silly, twisted boy, consider an Ovation Magnum (either variant). 

On any four stringer with 3.5" soapbar pickups, it would be possible to install Duncan NYC pickups and some smartass coil switching to cover most sonic eventualities - including, obviously, J Bass sounds.

If you fancy a Gibson EB mudbucker sound, consider installing one of those huge pickups in a '51 P Bass and wiring the controls like a Yamaha Attitude bass.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited December 2017
    wayneirie said:
    Nice, but does he have a weird problem with resting his fingers and thumb? ;)
    edited December 2017
    Theres a two Pickup version as well with no rests. No Idea about the two rests!  I took the rest of my precision
    wayneirie said:
    Theres a two Pickup version as well with no rests. No Idea about the two rests!  I took the rest of my precision
    They do look nice tho. Mind you we really get hammered on price with dollar rate over here! Crikey!

I really like the Guild Starfires as well (the standard ones)

Been gassing for a semi for a while, but I'm actually starting to wonder what I'd actually use it for.
    edited December 2017
    It’s hard to decide I suppose, I always think Paul McCartney’s a good example. When he got the rickenbacker, he started to play more melodic stuff higher up the neck because the access and intonation was better than the hofner. I don’t know what kind of stuff you play but  I suppose you’ll have to try a bunch and find your rickenbacker. Not necessarily an actual rickenbacker. They are cool though 
    wayneirie said:
    It’s hard to decide I suppose, I always think Paul McCartney’s a good example. When he got the rickenbacker, he started to play more melodic stuff higher up the neck because the access and intonation was better than the hofner. I don’t know what kind of stuff you play but  I suppose you’ll have to try a bunch and find your rickenbacker
    I probably already have you know. Wide fat nut slim front to back Precision. Rosewood board. Tiny frets. 7.25" radius board.

I find myself all over the neck on my Precision - so much so that the conversation I've entered in to is for an AVRI 62 Precision (I know, I know) - it's at the right price and it's a gigging bass primarily.

But just to keep you all on your toes, I dropped something else into a website basket tonight, and it's not moved out yet. I'm actually thinking of pulling the trigger and seeing what it's like - polar opposite of a vintage style big fat precision. 
    edited December 2017
    Duplicate due to site weirdness
    edited December 2017
    And again!!
  • Upright bass or go home
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Bridgehouse said: polar opposite of a vintage style big fat precision. 
    Status headless? None more 80s!

Alembic? None more 70s!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27988
    You need more Stingrays.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053

If you are a silly, twisted boy, consider an Ovation Magnum (either variant). 

Been looking for a Magnum for a long time, love the look and the onboard graphic eq but as I've never laid hands on one I've been nervous of buying on the few occasions they do appear. That said, gas has completely evaporated since getting a reissue 4001.
    No correct guesses yet.. tho @Sporky - I have a Stingray body and neck on the way for a Partsoray
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Try a Hofner Club or Violin, you'll be amazed that low end tones can emit from something so lightweight. The neck and bridge are a bit marmite but it's the price you pay for wearing something so comfortable on your shoulders.
    I really fancy an original Danelectro Shorthorn 3412 - but rare, specially over here. Not seen one for sale for a while.

Have looked at the long scale DC 59 bass a lot recently and I'm sorely tempted..

However, this is what's been in my basket for a few days now..

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/ibanez-2017-srh500-def-bass-workshop-dragon-eye-burst-flat