Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Matamp

What's Hot

Comments

• Bring back the Little Rock. The only amp I've sold that I now regret. Orange Rocker, TH30, Mesa Dual Rec, Mesa 5:25 and others - all gone too but the Little Rock remains the one I wish I'd kept and would buy again.

Kept up comfortably at band practice and yet could provide a good sound in my flat without raising complaints from the neighbours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have an AC30 and a 50W JCM800. Both are too loud to be pushed properly anywhere I play. i.e. small gigs or rehearsal room. I don't want a pedal platform, reverb, tremelo etc. Just one channel and 20Watts of hand wired valve smoking goodness with a shedload of Matamp mojo that I can plug in my SG and pull guitar faces at. Combo or head, don't mind.
  • So I’m pondering options after a chat with @shaunm earlier today. 

Single channel with boost, primary goal is a great clean with a bit of grit if you need it. Up could use the boost for overdrive or a solo level boost and rely on pedals for the drive.

Possibly an fx loop, definitely a verb and also maybe a bias mod Trem. 

Valve rectified, couple of EL34s and a 112 format with a Creamback as standard. 

Any thoughts?? Should I be working on a twin channel???

@janahan the trouble with the small amps is making them at an attractive price in the UK! Everything is produced cheaply overseas. 

@teacherphil I’m thinking if that as an option. Might even do a bedroom GT120, but running around 20/30 watts but with a quad of valves. What kind of tone were you thinking?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Single channel head, 30w, clean only would be ideal. I like the drive sounds from my pedals, and the reverb I have, so would be happy with something really simple. Only reason I'm looking at low wattage is that I don't expect to be playing live anytime soon and trying to be a considerate neighbour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If it sounds like this then take my money now.

That vintage orange/matamp sound does it for ne every time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks guys!
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    My GT1 is my amp for life...it’s beaten vintage Marshall’s and every other modern amp I’ve tried...not even a contest really! 

As for suggestions...I would love a smaller GT1, 1 EL34, 20w head or combo

also, can you guys start making Spring Reverb Tanks? I’ve seen one or two floating around...I think they were made back in 70’s...same size as the amp heads...love to get one of those!

another cool thing would be a solid state head...I know a few pedal builders make GT120 pedals...which are cool (I have one that Dunwich made for me) but that would be even cooler as 100w head. It’s the perfect backup amp and also great for people who don’t have the cash for the tube version.
  • So I’m pondering options after a chat with @shaunm earlier today. 

Single channel with boost, primary goal is a great clean with a bit of grit if you need it. Up could use the boost for overdrive or a solo level boost and rely on pedals for the drive.

Possibly an fx loop, definitely a verb and also maybe a bias mod Trem. 

Valve rectified, couple of EL34s and a 112 format with a Creamback as standard. 

Any thoughts?? Should I be working on a twin channel???

@janahan the trouble with the small amps is making them at an attractive price in the UK! Everything is produced cheaply overseas. 

@teacherphil I’m thinking if that as an option. Might even do a bedroom GT120, but running around 20/30 watts but with a quad of valves. What kind of tone were you thinking?

Sounds about perfect for me. 
    FX loop, not something I'd look for, but a trem; that'd be sweet. 
    Do you do trade-ins ;)
    Lots of Nice Guitars, and not enough pedals!

• @teacherphil I’m thinking if that as an option. Might even do a bedroom GT120, but running around 20/30 watts but with a quad of valves. What kind of tone were you thinking?
    I've seen a few guys who amps with 2 EL84's in the power amp section and a Model T preamp and I think a 20/30w GT120 would be equally appealing to doom fans. 
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Well for what it is worth, here is my input... I've spent years playing 100Watt rigs at deafening volumes, but now in my mid 40's my tinnitus is off the charts and I just can't tolerate any real volume (yes I wear/wore earplugs live). I have been through a multitude of low wattage amps from Fuchs, Engator, VHT, Palmer, Orange, Marshall etc. And for someone who now only plays at home/studio at fairly low/reasonable volumes (probably not your target audience) here is what works for me. 
    Decent reverb OR FX loop if it does anything more then mild OD.
    If it can just do a decent clean with some dirt (roll off the guitar volume for clean) then no need for the loop/Reverb as everything can go in the front. Suits me. (single channel)
    Tight and FULL bottom end (something EL84's seem to struggle with IMHO) - NO farting out (specially if tuned a bit lower)
    Full range cleans with a TMB to scoop/boost the mids 
    EL34? I don't care how many watts as long as it can go TV volume without it sounding shit - either a decent MV (PPIMV?) or attenuating/VVR if really needed (I don't care as long as I can bring it down and still sound good).

Lots of amps seem to get close, but not quite there... 

TBH I've played a few Matamps and they were just what I'm describing but too loud for home lol!

Not sure if that's any good to you - but IMHO most people with home amps tend to get higher gain with pedals, so lots of home high gain amps with awful cleans seem a waste..

I guess I'm saying a single channel full range pedal platform with a decent bass response?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Well @Exorcist that's quite a list but you've outlines some interesting points (including the main weakness of EL84s).

PPIMV is something I've been shifting too - it was on a lot of oranges & matamps back a few years but fell out of favour...no idea why.

The other thing you can do with the big amps is run lower internal voltage on the plates. You can turn a 100w 4xEL34 head into a 35w head. 

Watch this space....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• @teacherphil I’m thinking if that as an option. Might even do a bedroom GT120, but running around 20/30 watts but with a quad of valves. What kind of tone were you thinking?
    I've seen a few guys who amps with 2 EL84's in the power amp section and a Model T preamp and I think a 20/30w GT120 would be equally appealing to doom fans. 
    One thing I try and avoid is copying others.... inspiration though is allowed. 

The trouble with EL84s is while they do chime, they don't do bass which rather rules them out for the doom guys, now 6V6s on the other hand offer some potential.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    as Matamp are unlikely to re-do the mini-verb (despite begging and pleading) would Matamp consider making the circuit / details public so that someone else could build one if they wanted, as Matamp won't make them any more it's not like it would take business away.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

One thing I try and avoid is copying others.... inspiration though is allowed. 

The trouble with EL84s is while they do chime, they don't do bass which rather rules them out for the doom guys, now 6V6s on the other hand offer some potential.
    As a matamp owner and doom player, I don’t play any EL84’s amps...whether it’s the tubes or circuits, but probably a combination of the two and transformers...the amps all sound weak and don’t do well with fuzz...for my kinda tones anyway. On the other...I own a 6v6 combo at home (tweed deluxe clone) and that thing is great...so in short...I agree with Hayden
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Hayden.......you know how long I have had my two Matamps!

They are the only amps I play through and having friends in the music trade I have tried everything out there but the 1224GT is my sound. It took a long time to realise "I sounded like me" but everything else just doesn't have the chime, dynamics, openness and feel of my amp.

I use it on One output valve at home in Class A/B and it ALWAYS makes me smile no matter what I put through it.

As an aside, no matter what guitar I use they sound like they should without having to do any EQ changes. After playing a 335 and then plugging in a Tele it sounds exactly like a Tele and all I have to do is raise the volume because of the weaker pickups.

I can't get my head around that because I haven't had another amp that can do that. I'm not complaining!!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GT said:

They are the only amps I play through and having friends in the music trade I have tried everything out there but the 1224GT is my sound. It took a long time to realise "I sounded like me" but everything else just doesn't have the chime, dynamics, openness and feel of my amp.

I use it on One output valve at home in Class A/B and it ALWAYS makes me smile no matter what I put through it.

As an aside, no matter what guitar I use they sound like they should without having to do any EQ changes. After playing a 335 and then plugging in a Tele it sounds exactly like a Tele and all I have to do is raise the volume because of the weaker pickups.

I can't get my head around that because I haven't had another amp that can do that. I'm not complaining!!

Is that you Brian? 

Certainly is !  =)
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    TA22GT said:

Is that you Brian? 

-I'm Brian, and so's my wife. 
  • TA22GT said:
    Certainly is !  =)
    We met a couple of times at the factory, Paul's the name,

I still maintain that your modded 1224 is the best Matamp I've played.

Hope you're well? 
    TA22GT said:
    Certainly is !  =)
    We met a couple of times at the factory, Paul's the name,

I still maintain that your modded 1224 is the best Matamp I've played.

Hope you're well? 

Hi Paul I certainly do remember you! Did you have a Kingseat Combo? I hope you are well too mate.

Do you remember me showing you how the footswitch worked when it was labelled "Input"  because that's what it was doing by switching from Low to Hi input?  They then totally cocked it up by labelling it Boost!! That made it so difficult to understand the switching options!

They copied my 1224 and made it in to the 1224GT.  One day I was at the factory and casually asked Hayden if it was possible to increase the power from around 50 watts to 75-80 to give it more headroom. I was in a rush to get away but he quickly changed some fairly large capacitors on the top board and told me to try it when I got home. He gave me the original ones to solder back if I didn't like it. 
    Well that did the trick with my amp. It sounded so much bigger without actually being louder, so much wider and open and it's been like that ever since. They haven't heard it since but it still makes me smile when I plug in to it. 

Glad to see you are still around! =)