The "Bass collection re-stocking" thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Well, just tried the eBay discount code on one of those ibanez ones on eBay and it's coming out at £412 as opposed to PMTs £580.

I might just have to get one now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Two basses now incoming.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    wayneirie said:
    It’s hard to decide I suppose, I always think Paul McCartney’s a good example. When he got the rickenbacker, he started to play more melodic stuff higher up the neck because the access and intonation was better than the hofner. I don’t know what kind of stuff you play but  I suppose you’ll have to try a bunch and find your rickenbacker. Not necessarily an actual rickenbacker. They are cool though 
    There are Rickenbackers and then there are just other basses.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    prowla said:
    wayneirie said:
    It’s hard to decide I suppose, I always think Paul McCartney’s a good example. When he got the rickenbacker, he started to play more melodic stuff higher up the neck because the access and intonation was better than the hofner. I don’t know what kind of stuff you play but  I suppose you’ll have to try a bunch and find your rickenbacker. Not necessarily an actual rickenbacker. They are cool though 
    Indeed.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    edited December 2017
    prowla said:

That's what Geddy said.  Then he tried a Jazz!
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited December 2017
    prowla said:

That's what Geddy said.  Then he tried a Jazz!
    He always likes to have his Ric in shot though.
    JezWynd said:
    prowla said:
    wayneirie said:
    Indeed.

That's an interesting Ric - what is it?
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    I'll be keen to see what you buy, good basses really make music better, and there are some visually stunning ones too.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    @prowla, it's a 4001C64. A limited issue copy of McCartney's Ric, the one painted in pscyhedelic colours before being taken back to original wood. Obviously a right hander, they put a leftie neck on it to give it a vibe of the original. It's specced as an original 4001, with horseshoe pickup and gap tooth bridge but has a dual truss rod as per modern 4003's. It's my first Ric and I love it - very easy to play.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    prowla said:
    Looks like a 4001S V64.

S indicates rolled body edges, dot fingerboard inlays and no binding.

V64 indicates "toaster top" and horseshoe magnet pickups. 

The only true McCartney touch is the reversed headstock. An accurate replica of the man's personal instrument would have signs of wood removal from the corner of the upper horn.
    Be seeing you.
    Hate to say it chaps - but I wouldn't buy a new Ric. The prices now are ridiculous.

I might consider a used one but the prices are a lot higher than they used to be...
    JezWynd said:
    @prowla, it's a 4001C64. A limited issue copy of McCartney's Ric, the one painted in pscyhedelic colours before being taken back to original wood. Obviously a right hander, they put a leftie neck on it to give it a vibe of the original. It's specced as an original 4001, with horseshoe pickup and gap tooth bridge but has a dual truss rod as per modern 4003's. It's my first Ric and I love it - very easy to play.
    I was looking at the bridge - it seems to be 3 screws, but I thought the reissues had the extra 2; that's why I asked. (I want a gap-tooth bridge, so it caught my eye!)

I think the horseshoe on those is just cosmetic, as opposed to being part of the pickup like the originals.

Nice.
    Hate to say it chaps - but I wouldn't buy a new Ric. The prices now are ridiculous.

I might consider a used one but the prices are a lot higher than they used to be...
    I tend to buy used; that way things have had time to settle in.
    prowla said:

I tend to buy used; that way things have had time to settle in.
    Mostly I'm shocked by the increase in Ric prices over the last few years....
    prowla said:
    Looks like a 4001S V64.

S indicates rolled body edges, dot fingerboard inlays and no binding.

V64 indicates "toaster top" and horseshoe magnet pickups. 

The only true McCartney touch is the reversed headstock. An accurate replica of the man's personal instrument would have signs of wood removal from the corner of the upper horn.
    Well, and that Macca's was a '64 S model. I think I'd prefer a tribute rather than a replica artifically aged & damaged like the artiste's. Macca's also acquired a zero fret at some point (which puzzled Rickenbacker when it was mentioned to them!).
    Right, well. Much as the Ric discussion is interesting, I feel duty bound to get back on topic!

New Bass #1

2009 Fender AVRI 62 Precision

Yeah, yeah.. I know. It's another Precision. But this is basically Fender's copy of my '64. I don't gig the '64 - too much risk. But I love playing it. This one came up for a steal so I had to have it for gigging duties.

It looks like the 64. It plays very much like the 64. It sounds a lot like the 64. It's damn close. There's something missing, not sure what, but a little something..

Spot the difference:

'64:

2009 AVRI:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    New Bass #2

For those of you that know me.. well, this one really is a bit left field. 

Ibanez SRH-500-DEF

It's a hollow body. It's also piezo-only.

It's flipping light weight (like 6 1/2lbs light).

It has a 38mm nut width and quite a thick neck (shock horror!) but the board is pretty much flat, and the frets quite chunky, so it actually plays really really well - much better than any Jazz I've ever played with that nut width.

Sounds - it's very different. Acoustic, woody, almost double-bass. Really usable though. Going to enjoy this one. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Meh, too many frets
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The ibanez really is intriguing. It's excellent fit and finish - far outstrips the £412 I paid for it. It's easy to manage (comfy body shape) and the string spacing near the bridge is good. 

It seems to like being played just at the end of the fingerboard finger style and it really does have a quite complex tone. I was expecting a harsh piezo sound - but no, quite different.