Suhr Neon Drip Finish: who could do it ?

What's Hot
I am considering making my own version of the Suhr neon drip finish on a super strat as I'd rather have the traditional strat body than the suhr. 

However, the neon drip finish looks really quite skilled to do well (watched a few youtube videos) my obvious first call will be to @lamf68 as his work is the best I've seen, but it looks a complex task to do well. Any one tried it, done a good/bad job ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I dropped in to see what the finish looks like. No pix :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    So... it’s a swirl without the swirl?

I did them for a while but that was years ago. TBH, by the time you’ve bought the materials, done a few test runs, prepped the guitar, dipped, cleared and finished the guitar you’d be looking at £££££. 

I chatted to Al (outofthisswirled) about this recently and we pretty much agreed it’s not worth the money anymore. He stopped doing them a long time ago.

The one I video’d was a Chapman ML1 and tbh it didn’t come out how I wanted it to and that’s down to the random nature of the process. You could do 4-5 test runs and be really happy with the finish then the actual guitar comes out shockingly bad.

https://youtu.be/O6mzXH2naDk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    your video'd example actually turned out quite nice. 
    tFB Trader
    darcym said:
    Ha, really? I suppose that’s the problem with it though... one chance and that’s it. Well, you can strip it and start again but it’s an awful ballache
    lonestar said:
    darcym said:
    Ha, really? I suppose that’s the problem with it though... one chance and that’s it. Well, you can strip it and start again but it’s an awful ballache
    thought it looked pretty cool actually. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    darcym said:
    lonestar said:
    darcym said:
    thought it looked pretty cool actually. 
    yeah, me too
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Ignore the content for sake of forum peace, but this is a classy swirl job on this Schecter - love the way you can see the natural flame maple top still.

https://youtu.be/_FV50xqZ7Ic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    This was my Jackson DK2 swirl from a few years back. I got it from Richtone. Nice guitar and a decent swirl job from the factory 

https://i.imgur.com/crkJQEK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/P3i1zPu.jpg

Notice how th black swirl fades towards the horns. It’s a clear sign they didn’t use enough paint or didn’t have a large enough surface area to allow the paint to spread 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This looks awesome

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This looks awesome

indeed it does, but it appears there is a lack of people doing it at the moment.
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 371

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=richard fay swirls uk

I believe he's going to be taking on commissions shortly.

tFB Trader
    darcym said:
    This looks awesome

indeed it does, but it appears there is a lack of people doing it at the moment.
    At the price people want to pay there’s little money in it. I’ve spoekn to a few other guys who were thinking about offering it as an option and charging no less than £450-500 a time. It’s extremely niche too. 

Theyre awesome to look at the chances of owning a swirl as your first, second or third choice of guitar is fairly remote 
    lonestar said:
    darcym said:
    This looks awesome

At the price people want to pay there’s little money in it. I’ve spoekn to a few other guys who were thinking about offering it as an option and charging no less than £450-500 a time. It’s extremely niche too. 

Theyre awesome to look at the chances of owning a swirl as your first, second or third choice of guitar is fairly remote 
    I can understand why it's in short demand and limited offerings due to the effort that I can see goes into the prep (just from reading up on it).

I'll find someone in the end, I'm in no rush, it's just going to be a very rarely used guitar and I really like the surh but the body shape - I'd much rather have a more traditional super strat shape.
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 850
    Matt, i'll knock one of them out for you mate no sweat...pm on the way