NAD x2!!

What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962

1. The Budda SD18 combo. - I love the sound of the superdrive, but never had the budget to own one. They have the fattest rock rhythm tone i think I've ever heard and for 18w, its bloody loud. This will be my main live amp.

2. Crate Blue Voodoo 50 / Montage 112. - i picked the pair up and still had change out of £200! I know the BV's get a lot of internet hate, but its really unjustified, they're a killer high gain amp, loads of volume and easier to dial in than most. The cab came loaded with a greenback which i'll be ditching, but its a nice cab, removable panels for open back use too. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I thought, when I first read that, that you'd got both amps for under £200! 

Now that would have been a spectacular deal! 

HNAD

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    edited December 2017
    I thought, when I first read that, that you'd got both amps for under £200! 

HNAD
    i think if the budda had been that cheap i would have cut my own hands off. 
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    edited December 2017
    When you get tired of the crate you can tell Norman at Old Hat that Billy Gibbons once used it and sell  it to him .
    He could put it in his museum ;-)
    slate said:
    When you get tired of the crate you can tell Norman at Old Hat that Billy Gibbons once used it and sell  it to him .
    That would mean talking to Norman and i hate him.

I will tell him that Jeremy Beadle used it on his Small Hand tour back in 1988, we can then move it into the vanity project museum.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    slate said:
    That's a strange 'shop' he's only got about 6 guitars in stock.
  • A Crate o' Budd..........excellent :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    Sassafras said:
    slate said:
    That's a strange 'shop' he's only got about 6 guitars in stock.
    You must be looking at his website ...its even worse than the real shop.
    Hes got loads of stuff in the shop in Horncastle , mostly overpriced junk that because its old, he thinks is worth a fortune.
    He does have some amazing gear upstairs in the "museum" but none of that is for sale .
    If you look at his facebook page all the photos are from the museum, not the shop - its easy to be fooled into thinking that its a treasure trove of rare vintage gear but in reality its very different.
    He's also an offensively rude old man and it was a genuinely painful experience to have been in his company. Me and @timmysoft were there recently and it was just awful - hes extremely arrogant and basically full of shit .
    The only thing that caught my eye in the regular shop was (what was labelled as) a JTM45 reissue head with a Marshall TV 412 for £995.
    A month or so later i called them to enquire about it and they said they still had it so I went back over to try/buy it.
    Upon arrival I plugged into it (trying to ignore George the salesman who was incessantly gabbling on about the rig having "been in the studio with robbie williams") and it had two microphonic preamp valves and wasnt even working at all through inputs II apart from a squeal. 
    Even so, from the amount of gain and the tone i suddenly realised it wasnt a JTM45 but a 1987X reissue (confirmed when i looked around the back and found the effects loop). Upon pointing this out to Norman he went a bit (more) mental and started arguing and swearing blind that it was a "50 Watt JTM45 with EL84s in it " - which does not exist, nor  has it ever. 
    Safe to say I won't be going there again and I'd advise anyone thats thinking of going not to bother either. 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    When I saw NAD x2 I thought you were checking your ballz
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lovely evening with the Blue Voodoo. I really don't get the hate for these, when i first started touring i had the 60w head and the matching 412 and it was reliable, but sounded great every night. 

This 50 water is fantastic, its compact but delivers some really meaty high gain tones. Cleans are bright and jangly and the reverb is huge (its real reverb!). The gain channel boosted with a stock SD-1 is great, pinch harmonics just stand out and the chugs are tight and super percussive. Gets a bit noisy but the NS2 in the loop sorts it right out, i just need a GE7 in the loop now for the ultimate budget metal rig. Its a lot of fun for heavier styles of music, it doesn't touch the Budda for quality of tone, but its a different kind of amp, i'm pretty sure i'll end up using it for some gigs!
     Its a dirty old bastard, but its cool.

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I gigged a SD18 combo for years alongside a Mesa F50. Never felt it lacked any power at all. 

Ive had three Buddas in the past and had them all modded for the variable lead volume mod, really makes a difference when gigging it. 
    andy1839 said:
    I gigged a SD18 combo for years alongside a Mesa F50. Never felt it lacked any power at all. 

Ive had three Buddas in the past and had them all modded for the variable lead volume mod, really makes a difference when gigging it. 
    Totally, there really is no shortage of power from the SD18, I'm using it more like a single channel amp, if i was switching a lot i'd definitely have that mod done.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11675
    I thought, when I first read that, that you'd got both amps for under £200! 

HNAD
    When I first read the thread title I was just glad he didn't have Hitler's problem...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...

A few rehearsals in and I’m loving it! Fitted a new celestion and the Palmer JB DI, it’s pretty much perfect! I just need to refine the preamp valve choice