Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Kemp Guitars *2017-2018* Build Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• xKempGuitarsxKempGuitars Frets: 183
    edited January 2019
    WezV said:

Something interesting arrived at the workshop the other day from @webrthomson ;;;- Leopardwood. Updates and full spec on this custom build coming soon...

Do you know the species name.   I have also seen similar sold as "lacewood", and some similar sold as lacewood that had much smaller medullary flecks.

Anyway, the important thing is it needs a green stain to look like a crocodile

I didn't order it in myself, but it was sold as Leopardwood (Roupala montana). It is related to Lacewood, looks similar and is often called and/or mistaken for Lacewood. Being my first first-hand experience with Leopardwood, I read up in it and I understand that gLacewood is quite soft whereas Leopardwood is very dense (Janka Hardness of 2150 lb/f). There is no doubt by the weight of this neck blank that it's Leopardwood. The flecks, again unlike Lacewood, are only marginally softer than the rest of the wood so I don't foresee any issues in carving the neck - no more than when carving a Wenge neck. 

Haha, I don't know if @webrthomson will go for the green stain-crocodile look
    Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha, I don't know if @webrthomson will go for the green stain-crocodile look =)
    Not sold on the green, the wood does look great though!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    I’m really hoping I get lucky in that prize draw now...

Is there anything way of confirming entries by the way? I think I pressed all the right buttons on Facebook... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • JayGee said:

Is there anything way of confirming entries by the way? I think I pressed all the right buttons on Facebook... :-)

Message me your name (as it appears on your Facebook profile) and I will check my notifications :) 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    JayGee said:

Message me your name (as it appears on your Facebook profile) and I will check my notifications :) 
    Also got all my fingers and toes crossed on this one!!!
    edited January 2019

Christmas is on our doorsteps, the presents are all wrapped and the best part of the fridge space has been engulfed by a large headless bird! KEMP GUITARS WOULD LIKE TO WISH YOU ALL A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS. This will be the last update of the year: I leave you with these two custom beauties, in various stages of production. The DC 8-string Half-fan multiscale now ready for finish sanding and the latest custom DC build featuring a lot of Leopardwood and a Pale Moon Ebony fretboard  More on that one in the new year. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Stunning work. I’m interested to hear more about the Richlite. It has been mainly negative feedback but I gather this is coming from traditionalists who don’t like change.
  • lonestar said:
    Stunning work. I’m interested to hear more about the Richlite. It has been mainly negative feedback but I gather this is coming from traditionalists who don’t like change.

Thanks lonestar. I've never used it before but have read the negative views too so I thought I'd give it a try on a build for myself and find out what the problem is. Yes, it's all to do with the fact that it's not wood - and a lot of Gibson players mainly don't seem to like that. Fact is, with the Rosewood family now affected by CITES restrictions, how soon before other species are affected. Okay, it could be some time yet before all easily obtainable woods are restricted, but it will happen and we (guitar builders and players) need to consider synthetic alternatives for fretboards. So far, it's been okay. I've machined it, hand slotted it and sanded it. All that's left for me to do now is play it. As soon as I've got this build finished, I will update on it but quite frankly there is nothing wrong with it as a fretboard material... Certainly not for the modern electric guitar and it's player as a alternative to Ebony, even Rosewood (Richie is available in brown too).

Will keep you posted on this in the new year :) 

Merry Christmas
    edited January 2019
    Didn't think I'd post again until 2018 but I've been catching up on a bit of work on my own builds during the "crimbo limbo". These necks will soon be bolted to the forthcoming stock DC3 (white w/ black hardware) and a SS (with the Richlite fretboard and reverse F-head for my own collection), aptly named the "Pinky Dinky"... You can see why from this shot Happy new year to everyone on Thefretboard and thank you all for your kind words and support throughout 2017

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    There are some beautiful pieces of wood on this thread.

Nice work sir.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited December 2017
    TTony said:
    There are some beautiful pieces of wood on this thread.

Nice work sir.
    Thanks TTony.

Plenty more to come in 2018 Happy new year!  
  • Oh my - the wood in this thread is purely orgasmic :+1: 
    Loving it!
    Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.

• WildWayz said:
    Oh my - the wood in this thread is purely orgasmic :+1: 
    Loving it!

More to come in 2018 =) 
    edited February 2019

The first proper post of 2018 and I've been back in the spray booth today shooting some clear on the latest Kemp Guitars own (stock/private) builds - white DC3 and the gloriously pink "Pinky Dinky" SS...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019

Working with something a little more "natural" today - but certainly no less boring. Rest of the guitar gets a straight Tru-Oil finish, more soon.

Before...

After...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That stained Sapele (thru-neck build) has now seen some Tru-Oil...

tra090118-3jpg

And the front...

tra090118-2jpg

In full...

tra090118-1jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019

Also got this one out on "the blanket" just needing a setup now...

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Beautiful work
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    Beautiful work

Thanks Roland =) 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

wow, the tru-oil has darkened the wood a fair bit there?

that's right lovley that is.