What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• axisus said:
    Just went to see Jumanji with my daughters. We all loved it. It won't win any awards but it was a lot of fun. I was pissed off with the trailer though, it spoiled a funny moment. Why do they ruin films with trailers these days???
    Don’t watch trailers. I stopped watching them for films I already know I want to see.

If I’m not sure I want to see a film I might watch the trailer but stop it soon as I’ve decided I’m interested
    That's my approach nowadays. Spiderman Homecoming had so many trailers it was unbelievable. 
     I might go and see Karen Gillan in short shorts *ahem* I mean Jumanji 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Just went to see Jumanji with my daughters. We all loved it. It won't win any awards but it was a lot of fun. I was pissed off with the trailer though, it spoiled a funny moment. Why do they ruin films with trailers these days???
    Don’t watch trailers. I stopped watching them for films I already know I want to see.

If I’m not sure I want to see a film I might watch the trailer but stop it soon as I’ve decided I’m interested
    That's my approach nowadays. Spiderman Homecoming had so many trailers it was unbelievable. 
     I might go and see Karen Gillan in short shorts *ahem* I mean Jumanji I

I remember a few years ago reading that research indicated that in the USA trailers were more successful at selling a film the more of the plot it gave away - audiences didn't like surprises. Generally a film will have a different trailer for the UK and Europe which gives less away. 
    I'm surprised how little Karen Gillan features in the trailers for Jumanji, she probably isn't a big name in the States but she's quite well known here. Maybe they have been showing an unchanged version of the US trailer which would also explain the spoilers. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    BRISTOL86 said:
    "Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri ".

Crime/Drama based in rural US town. Grieving mother is fed up with the local sheriff dept. in regards to her daughter's murderer. 
    Strong performances from Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson.
    I liked it - tad on a long side. My other half though yawned throughout.

6.5/10
    Watched this a couple of nights ago and thought it was excellent. 
    Just watched it, thought it was very very good, a great film in a sea of cliched rubbish 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    paulnb57 said:Charlise Theron is still worth a squirt!.....
    Why the heck wasn't that review on the poster??!! :lol:

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    The Last Jedi

Not bad, but not quite worthy of the 10/10 reviews it's been getting - I would give it about 8. Too many little niggles for it to be any higher, and at least one big one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Star wars - 8/10.

New Jumanji - 7/10, ruined by typical romance bit.

The greatest showman - 9.5/10. The critics are so wrong about this. Absolutely loved it.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited December 2017

The greatest showman - 9.5/10. The critics are so wrong about this. Absolutely loved it.
    Agreed. Superbly entertaining. The 'I am Me' song/scene was particularly powerful.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3279
    edited December 2017
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 

a stonking 10/10 from me
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mother! Very bizarre but most entertaining.
  • The Guest.

Just finished watching it and it's 1:10am. I was glued to the screen. Absolutely brilliant, possibly a cult classic - 9/10.
  • Bright, on Netflix.

It’s a take on the cop paired with partner from another race and them dealing with their differences  to save the day. But the twist is it’s a world where humans coexist with Elves (who are generally rich, intelligent, and powerful) and Orcs (who are portrayed as less intelligent, physically strong, and publicly hated for historical reasons).

Once you realise it’s not trying to explain absolutely everything that happens credibly it’s enjoyable. I mean the everything wrong with YT guy could fill a long episode about it, it’s quite a basic story and some of the significant parts were a little rushed, but personally I thought it was a fun watch overall. Felt very late 90s/early 00’s to me.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited December 2017
    Ferdinand - at the new Odeon luxe in Edinburgh. 

Film gets a 6.5/10 from me, 9/10 from my son. The cinema gets a 9.5/10. Reclining seats and loadsa legroom.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    I watched Bladerunner 2049. Sorry guys, Philip K Dick may be turning in his grave....
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Danny1969 said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    "Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri ".

Crime/Drama based in rural US town. Grieving mother is fed up with the local sheriff dept. in regards to her daughter's murderer. 
    Strong performances from Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson.
    I liked it - tad on a long side. My other half though yawned throughout.

6.5/10
    Watched this a couple of nights ago and thought it was excellent. 
    Just watched it, thought it was very very good, a great film in a sea of cliched rubbish 
    Me too, quirky small towm America, with residents to match, thoroughly enjoyed it, although the ending caught me by surprise, but it worked really well.....it's no action theiller, but benefits from proper old school acting......
    9/10
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• I saw Girls Trip (2017) with my friend for new years at midnight before heading out to a party.
    It's new.
    I hadn't heard of it, but I've seen it now.
    Comedy about celebrity girls set in New Orleans.
    Adult humour.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2386
    War of the Planet of the Apes - needed to watch something on my new 4k HDR telly, and this didn't disappoint.

Pretty impressed with it, and the CGI is naturally outstanding - I'd say 8/10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Watched the first half of Wrecking Crew ( much praised on this forum) before Xmas but it seems to have gone off Netflix now so haven't seen the second half. It was okay, I guess an eye opener if you aren't familiar with those people. 

In lieu of that I watched the iPlayer documentary about The Proclaimers instead. Reasonably interesting, various people involved who I wouldn't have guessed were anything to do with the twins. Spent some of it trying to decide if I still fancy KT Tunstall. 

MrsTheWeary was watching the Wizard of Oz yesterday. I've never seen it all the way through although I've seen lots of bits. I'm not sure I feel drawn to it's very stylised look. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    FarleyUK said:
    War of the Planet of the Apes - needed to watch something on my new 4k HDR telly, and this didn't disappoint.

Pretty impressed with it, and the CGI is naturally outstanding - I'd say 8/10.
    I was really disppointed with War of Palmet of the Apes, although the CGI was good, I was expecting War......all too slow and actionless for me......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Justice League - Utter arse gravy.....0/10

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6146
    The Great Beauty - an Italian movie about the hedonistic lifestyles of Rome's glitterati. A sort of update to La Dolce Vita. Not our normal sort of movie.

First - it's visually stunning, as in OMG jaw-dropping cinematography. If you like movies where the texture of the scenery, the shot composition and lighting create an almost non-stop series of masterpiece paintings, you'll love this. The only movie I've seen that's made me wish we had a 50-inch 4k screen.

Then there's the soundtrack. It manages to alternate between impossibly beautiful choral music and thumping dance tunes without ever jarring. It's the sort of soundtrack that has you scurrying off to IMDB to find out more.

It leaves you guessing, too. It's meaning is not laid out on a plate, many things still puzzle me. Significant things happen without further comment. The dialog, too, is sometimes quick, complex and hard to follow (at least via the subtitles). Some things are fantasy, or exaggerations. Parts of it are surreal. Especially Rome itself, as they somehow shot the movie without the hoards of real people and tourists getting in the way. So it really does feel like a gorgeous playground for the super-wealthy, Berlusconis and mafia to enjoy.

We will have to watch it again, because we had to follow the subtitles so closely that there was hardly enough time to savour its sheer beauty.

I can't wait. It's that good. 10/10