C18Q1. TTony goes mad.

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    m_c said:
    TTony said:

Got to work out which ones need scratchplates now ...
    ;)
    I hear plastic is really easy to work with.. ;)
    Aluminium or GTFO ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    GTFO is really hard to machine. It either splints or melts.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Thought I'd start with #3.
    • body shape "refined" (it was rough cut to a vaguely-Tele shape previously)
    • round overs front & back (and then sand out all the burns - after this photo)
    • marked centre line and then all the other positions 
    • cut the neck pocket (also after this photo)
    Tomorrow
    • belly carve (which'll take a while given how big it needs to be)
    • finish the neck pocket to the correct depth
    • rout out the control cavity
    • triple check all the measurements, particularly the scale length, and neck alignment in the pocket
    • make a template for the pickup cavity and route that out too
    • do some more sanding

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    edited January 2018
    Don't know how I missed this, fantastic project @TTony - I absolutely love the fretboard you have for that DC project, What stain are you going to do the Korina body in? Reds always a winner for a DC!

I love DC's!! here's one I did from a cheapo kit last year. Complete with terrible sanding mess up i decided to pass off as a relicing effect ;)

eSully said:
    I love DC's!! here's one I did from a cheapo kit last year. Complete with terrible sanding mess up i decided to pass off as a relicing effect ;)

If the rest of the guitar is worth it, strip off the old finish and re-do it @eSully?  Else, you'll know how you did it wrong, but you'll not know that you could do it right ...
    ;)

Not sure what colours I'm doing any of them yet.  I might do the DC in Amber?  Don't know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

TTony said:

Tomorrow
    • belly carve (which'll take a while given how big it needs to be)
    • finish the neck pocket to the correct depth
    • rout out the control cavity
    • triple check all the measurements, particularly the scale length, and neck alignment in the pocket
    • make a template for the pickup cavity and route that out too
    • do some more sanding
    Just finished a couple of workshop hours, and got all of that done, apart from routing out the control cavity.  Mainly because I couldn't find a template that I'm sure I've got somewhere and didn't want to make another one.

Did a bit of cut away on the rear of the heel too, so a standard oblong neck plate won't fit on this one.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    @TTony said:
    If the rest of the guitar is worth it, strip off the old finish and re-do it @eSully?  Else, you'll know how you did it wrong, but you'll not know that you could do it right ...

Not sure what colours I'm doing any of them yet.  I might do the DC in Amber?  Don't know.
    Nah, I've grown quiet fond of it plus that sounds like far too much work right now seeing as I appear to have another project to work on atm ;)

Amber sounds great, Looking forward to seeing it!
    Got the heavy drilling & routing work finished on #1.  

Yes, I realise that the pickup cavity looks odd, but that's *really* where the pickup legs go!

The  third hole in the top is for the ground connection from the underside of the bridge.  In a piece of precision drilling, that hole meets a horizontal hole drilled from the bridge-side of the p'up cavity,

Next will be several days of sanding, during which I can think about finishing options.    I might just try some white-tinted oil.

But before I clear all the bits of ash off the workshop floor, I thought I'd make some Korina mess by starting on #2.  

Just a quick bit of marking out so far, I want to triple check things like neck angles before I start cutting anything.  
    :)

• RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
    Good stuff... Glad you are getting back in to the swing of things...  :)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    I do like the rounded neck joint on #1. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    I didn't even get into my workshop today.
    :(

But I did submit the print files for my book, approve the proofs, and authorise the printing.  Unfortunately, nowhere near as exciting as making sawdust.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Done some work on #2 today.

I want to get all the messy stuff done, and all the mess cleaned up, before I start the finishing work on any of them.  That seemed like a sensible approach.

So, neck pocket, p'up cavity (the bridge) and control cavity, plus connecting wiring holes all done today. rounded over the body front and back, and checked that it all fits together.

I'm going to change the bridge from the lightweight Wilkinson in the photos to a more substantial Gotoh wrapover.  The Gotoh has better intonation adjustment and is heavier.  This guitar is lightweight and needs added weight!

Nice tight fit 

There's no angle on the neck pocket yet, so it's  only cut to size, not to depth.

The hardware will change - bridge and control knobs will be silver rather than black.

I'll rout the cavity for the neck p'up once I've cut the angle on the neck pocket accurately, but before I nail the neck in place.    Now I've decided on the bridge, I can get that done tomorrow.

Not sure whether the control layout should be switch  - vol- tone, or vol - tone - switch.  Any thoughts?

I had a load of Abranet sanding sheets arrive yesterday, so used some of those to sand the rough cuts out of the side of the body.  Don't know whether it's because Korina is much easier to work than the Ash I've been using, or whether it's the effectiveness of the Abranet, but that stuff really works well!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    As everyone else has been busily posting progress updates, I thought I would too.

Except there's been no progress.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    TTony said:
    As everyone else has been busily posting progress updates, I thought I would too.

Ah, I see you are going for comedy ;)
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    TTony said:

Not everyone  

But I hadn't seen the above pic till just now so it was still worth the visit as that looks great .. 

• m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    TTony said:

I'm thinking of it as keeping things in balance. If we all rushed to finish, then you'd just have to shorten the current challenge, and come up with a new one sooner.

edited January 2018
    Right, a bit of progress today

But it's in more of a backwards, rather than forwards, direction.

I needed to work out the angle to put on the neck/body join, so drew it all out full size so I could measure the angle rather than calculate it.  Drawing it out, and then transposing the measurements on to the neck heel made a couple of things clear ...

The first clear thing was that there was going to be a fairly thin piece of the neck underneath the pickup cavity ... leaving a relatively small amount of neck left in the pocket.  And the second clear thing was that there'd be quite a lot of neck heel protruding beyond the end of the body - so much so that I thought I'd extend the neck carve a bit further - as sketched.

Just time for quick shower before time to eat.

And in the shower, I realised why these problems were arising.  I started with the fact that it's a GSP neck, and he doesn't make mistakes.  But he does make very good LP necks.  Which is what I asked him for when he made this neck for me.  And very good LP necks really don't fit into DC Jr bodies very well!

My cock-up.  But at least I realised it before gluing the neck into the body.  

Unfortunately, not before I'd routed out the neck pocket though!

So, I now need to make a LP style body that will fit this neck better, and/or make a neck to fit the DC Jr body and the neck pocket that I've already routed.  Making necks isn't my preferred part of making guitars, and I generally swerve it (hence having a GSP ready-made neck or two), but there's no swerving it this time.  

Need to check what wood I've got that I could make a LP body from, and a replacement neck ...
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    But hang on a minute. If you’re building a fourth guitar won’t it need to have either 4 Pickups or 0 Pickups to stay true to the original plan ?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DrBob said:
    But hang on a minute. If you’re building a fourth guitar won’t it need to have either 4 Pickups or 0 Pickups to stay true to the original plan ?
    Damn.

I'd pretty much decided *not* to do one with a GK kit in it too!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    TTony said:
    DrBob said:
    Damn.

I'd pretty much decided *not* to do one with a GK kit in it too!
    Four pickups it is then