Question for keys/piano players

What's Hot
I have an old electronic keyboard. When I play a triad, even using only my right hand, it sounds very distorted. Diads work passably well but triads cause this problem. Even worse if I play the root note with my left hand (root note an octave below the triad). Sounds extremely harsh and unmusical. Is this a characteristic of all electronic keyboards or it it likely due to my keyboard being very old? Would a reasonably priced (€250 give or take) new keyboard solve this problem? Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    It sounds as though your keyboards faulty, there should be no distortion even with octave bass left hand and triad with right hand. 
    There are some real bargains keyboard wise out there, something like this be ideal 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roland-Juno-D-Keyboard/173041242965?hash=item284a0fd355:g:3-wAAOSwe7laOWOx
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    An amplification problem, methinks.

If the keyboard has built-in loudspeakers, one of the units could be on the verge of terminating itself.

Rocker said:
    Sounds extremely harsh and unmusical.
    If you ran a Fender Rhodes electric piano through a guitar amplifier, with or without a ring modulator effect, that distortion would qualify as jazz fusion.
    Be seeing you.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Could be the cables.
     ;) 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Check with headphones. Is the distortion still there? And does it remain when you lower the volume?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    goldtop said:
    Check with headphones. Is the distortion still there? And does it remain when you lower the volume?
    Good thinking, Batman.

Rocker said:
    old electronic keyboard ... sounds very distorted ... Sounds extremely harsh and unmusical. 
    If the keyboard sound generation technology is digital, the distortion could originate in the digital-to-analogue audio conversion chip.

If the IC sits in a socket, it should be possible to reseat it. This would restore normal operation. If the IC is soldered directly to the main PCB, it will be a royal pain to take a soldering iron anywhere near it. This runs the risk of overheating the IC to destruction.
    Be seeing you.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Comments for this thread now on C18Q1. Learning to read music.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum