Anyone play an Admira or Manuel Rodriguez classical?

What's Hot
 I've been asked, by my cousin and his fiancee, to play them down the aisle. While flattered, they would like a Jose Gonzalez tune that I think would only sound correct on a Spanish style classical guitar and I don't have one,  nor have I ever played that style. 

Now it's 6 months away, so I'll be fine learning the song,  but,  do I just play it on my dread or shall I treat myself to a new guitar...

My mate can get Admira and Manuel Rodriguez into his music shop, but,  I dont know either brand .

Any pointers? 

Cheers :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Can a grown-up move this for me please :)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8684
    Moved
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    From memory of working in a large traditional music shop which sold both, Manuel Rodriguez are generally a higher-grade guitar than Admira, although the ranges overlap. At the same price point there probably isn't much in it. If you're looking for a best tone for the money solution to a problem, I would get the cheapest solid-top guitar in either range.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    I had a M.R. years ago but foolishly sold it. It was a great guitar. But if you don’t want to break the bank try a Takamine, I got one from eBay last year for £200, good electronics in it too. 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11878
    I have a MR FG
    It's good, but I would prefer a bit more zing to it, but that's probably just me

what is your budget?

do you really want a 2 inch nut,  flat fingerboard?
    (There are cross over nylons about 48mm wide, with a radiused board)
    I'm thinking that you might be better off with a crossover one?

Also - amplified or not?
    I'm sure I'd get used to a 2 inch nut fairly quickly, but, you're right I'd probably find a 48mm less alien from the off. A crossover might be worth looking into,  if only for a comparison.

Re price, I'll prob spend in the 4-600 region.

I tend to prefer acoustics without electronic panels on the side, so if I was to get something with a pickup installed it must be discreet, or I guess I could install a k&k at a later date.

Im guessing the wedding will poss require amplification, even if only just louder than acoustic volume.
    I think a well-developed "concert" technique is needed to get a lot of volume from a classical, unless using a plectrum

I think a 2 inch nut would be easier to adapt to than a completely flat fingerboard - go and try a few maybe?

I'd just use a K&K transducer pickup with no preamp in the guitar, as I have just done on a nylon cutaway with radiused fingerboard and 48mm nut.  Bear in mind the transducer needs the bottom EQ'd out, and a scooped mid

Check the arrangement of the piece you want to play: all classicals are 12 fret, and it's possible the track needs more than that if the original was played on a cutaway modern model

one other thing I learned recently: nylon strings don't provide much tension, so standard bracing would prevent much sound being produced acoustically.  Classicals typically have very light fan bracing (btw with this, you need the special 4 transducer variation of the K&K). However crossover models intended to play live sometimes have tighter bracing to lessen feedback when amplified - therefore choose the combination you want long-term (i.e. amplified or acoustic)

which track is it?
  • I had an Admira Malaga for about ten years. It's the solid cedar top with mahogany one in their line up. I liked it and thought it was pound for pound a great guitar (£150 at the time), it had a lively tone, was lightweight and well balanced. The fit and finish were rudimentary and it didn't look that great but it would do the job. 
    I'm not sure if I've played a Manuel Rodriguez, I did play one with a similar/same? name years ago but found it heavy and overbuilt.

I currently have a Yamaha CG182S (spruce with rosewood) which is definitely superior in fit, finish and looks but not much of an improvement tonally. 

I wouldn't worry too much about nut width and radius particularly if you are on a budget, as crossover guitars just add pounds to the price with no tonal improvement.
    Your best bet is used as classical guitars are hard to sell, here's a nice one on fleabay.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-CG-201S-Classical-Guitar-Case-Warranty/253295848189?hash=item3af99beafd:g:2v0AAOSwDkVaJo15

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I had an Admira Malaga for about ten years. It's the solid cedar top with mahogany one in their line up. I liked it and thought it was pound for pound a great guitar (£150 at the time), it had a lively tone, was lightweight and well balanced. The fit and finish were rudimentary and it didn't look that great but it would do the job. 
    I'm not sure if I've played a Manuel Rodriguez, I did play one with a similar/same? name years ago but found it heavy and overbuilt.

I currently have a Yamaha CG182S (spruce with rosewood) which is definitely superior in fit, finish and looks but not much of an improvement tonally. 

I wouldn't worry too much about nut width and radius particularly if you are on a budget, as crossover guitars just add pounds to the price with no tonal improvement.
    Your best bet is used as classical guitars are hard to sell, here's a nice one on fleabay.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-CG-201S-Classical-Guitar-Case-Warranty/253295848189?hash=item3af99beafd:g:2v0AAOSwDkVaJo15

I agree with you on these points

my MR is heavy, and I suspect overbuilt

if we are sticking with a normal fingerboard, this one Chalky found looks good value
    https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/yamaha-cgx122mcc-electro-classical-guitar-natural?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI19W57_632AIVarXtCh26kQDhEAYYASABEgLTj_D_BwE