Harmonica help please.

rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 197
edited December 2017 in Other Instruments
I’ve decided to have a go at harmonica.Just brought a cheapish Hohner Bluesband  set in most keys.Only problem is I can’t play .Any tips or help would be much appreciated.Thks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just find a beginner book. It's not a very visual instrument (watching other people is basically of limited help) so YouTube stuff probably isn't the best.

It's quite easy to find a way to get a basic tune out of one with poor technique but that sets you up for bad habits. You will need to get it right to bend notes as it's a very limited instrument without bending. 

Understanding cross harping is helpful as it helps you choose which harmonica for which tune. For example a C harp has all the notes from the C scale but you'd usually use it on a blues in G ( so you're playing the mixolydian mode with it's dominant 7th). 

Quite a lot of harmonica tab out there, it's a fairly well established system if you can't pick stuff up by ear. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Listen to your favourite harp players to decide how you want to play and, as Mr Weary says, get a decent book rather than relying on youtube clips.
  • Check out Adam Gussow or Tomlin Leckie on YouTube. Both give excellent tuition- I had lessons from Tomlin when I was learning. 
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 88
    edited January 2018
    Don Baker beginning blues harp' is a good book /cd.. think that's the name.it got me started on my blues harp journey....
      key of C' harp  is a common starting key... just start out learning basic tunes.Michael row the boat ashore' , Yankee doodle dandy' and last of the summer wine' tune etc.... just stick with it and find yourself an empty field or building to practise in , to save any relationship... as its not a pretty sound when your learning  s
    See if this link works
     https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beginning-Blues-Harp-Book-CD-by-Baker-Don-Book-The-Cheap-Fast-Free-Post/142499108096?epid=111775017&hash=item212d9bd500:g:jS0AAOSwySlaKrFX
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Who do you want to start off playing like? The two Walter lick book is incredible but might be a tad advanced. I forgot the title. 
  • lukedlb said:
    Who do you want to start off playing like? The two Walter lick book is incredible but might be a tad advanced. I forgot the title. 
    Mainly blues and folky stuff.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Use your tongue to block off certain holes. that's how you get individual notes. Some notes you can only get breathing in and some only breathing out.
    You'll need to contort the end of your tongue into all kinds of weird shapes...

It's quite a lot of fun.

If you ever do that 'Train' thing in other peoples company............expect to be shot.
    :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Don Baker beginning blues harp' is a good book /cd.. think that's the name.it got me started on my blues harp journey....
      key of C' harp  is a common starting key... just start out learning basic tunes.Michael row the boat ashore' , Yankee doodle dandy' and last of the summer wine' tune etc.... just stick with it and find yourself an empty field or building to practise in , to save any relationship... as its not a pretty sound when your learning  s
    See if this link works
     https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beginning-Blues-Harp-Book-CD-by-Baker-Don-Book-The-Cheap-Fast-Free-Post/142499108096?epid=111775017&hash=item212d9bd500:g:jS0AAOSwySlaKrFX

I think it was a Don Baker book I had , complete with cassette. Whereas most guitar tutorial stuff freaked me out his book was easy to follow and I made steady progress. Shame I didn't keep it up really and I've forgotten loads but I still do some simple harp in my band, just on a couple of numbers, and the basic techniques are still there. 

My dog howls if I practice at home and it's fairly anti social, I probably need to rebuy the book and sit in the car with it! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.