Over ear wired headphones for £100 - £150

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
edited January 2018 in Off Topic
i have £100 - £150 to spend on headphones and I don’t know what to buy. 

So, what is the best over ear wired headphones for £100 or under?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    The most expensive pair of Sennheisers you can find for under £100.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Audio Technica ATH-M40x.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Open or closed back?

Do you have a particular sound signature you like from headphones?  E.g. bass heavy, or more neutral studio type etc.

Any other requirements such as cable length or impedance (the intended playback device would determine this to an extent)?

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited January 2018
    Open or closed back?

Do you have a particular sound signature you like from headphones?  E.g. bass heavy, or more neutral studio type etc.

Any other requirements such as cable length or impedance (the intended playback device would determine this to an extent)?

Closed back please!!!

I'd like a neutral studio type sound.

Cable length isn't important.  I don't know what impedance is, but I will be listening to music on my computer, iPod, iPhone and hifi.  
  • Presonus HD7’s are excellent and not just at their price point, way under your budget as well.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    You can pick up a pair of AKG K550 headphones for around the £100 mark - not heard them but they are supposed to be the absolute business.  
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited January 2018
    Open or closed back?

What's the main difference between open and closed back?  Any advantages of one over the other?

I'd like a neutral studio type sound.

Cable length isn't important.  I don't know what impedance is, but I will be listening to music on my computer, iPod, iPhone and hifi.  

Closed back are better for when you need to be as quiet as possible, as the open back design will leak sound. 

Sonically closed back headphones tend to be more bass heavy and also less flat. Open back headphones tend to be flatter but it does still depend on the drivers themselves too. Wearing for long periods open back feels nicer to me, less claustrophobic.

The most neutral headphones can actually sound a little thin as most people are used to a fairly big bass boost from headphones.

Simplistically and in general a lower impedance means it’ll be louder from a typical source, which matters if the source isn’t powerful. A lot of headphones designed for use with phones/mp3 players are low impedance for this reason. Most commercial headphones aimed at this market will already be suitable.

Personally I like Beyerdynamic headphones. I have DT770s (closed) DT880s (open and flat) and DT990s (open and with increased low end).

They all have the same ear cups and I find them to be very comfortable for extended wear periods which is the main reason I have them. Sonically they have a treble forward family sound which can be divisive, especially if you prefer a darker treble (Sennheiser would generally be a company with darker treble but as with anything it varies by model).

Personally I like the 990s for casual listening, they’re currently a hair over your budget at £104. But at 250 ohms they won’t get super loud with an iPod or iPhone, which may or may not be an issue, depends how loud you want to go. The lower ohm versions are more expensive and way over budget currently, as are all the DT880 pairs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah I've seen you've edited your post since I replied.

If you want closed back I'll be honest and say I wouldn't pick the Beyerdynamic DT770s as my only listening headphone.  They're a great studio headphone because they block out a lot of sound, and are comfy to wear for hours at a time.  But the issue for casual listening with a flat sound preference is they're (IMO) a little too recessed in the upper mids relative to how bright the treble goes which can make some vocals less enjoyable to listen to.  

This graph tool can be quite useful, they have a number of headphones measured.  Nothing will be dead flat (neither are your ears) but you can get an idea of the broad differences between models using it.

http://graphs.headphone.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited January 2018
    @guitarfishbay - thanks iI will check those out.  I'm leaning towards the Beyerdynamic DT770 more than any suggestions, although the Audio-Technica ATH-M40X look interesting for a cheaper option.  

I would probably go for closed back as I listen to a lot of music late at night when other people are in bed, so I don't want sound leaking out in that respect.
  • Musical Fidelity MF-200's

They absolutely wipe the floor with anything at the price...

Check 'em out. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited January 2018
    I’d recommend AKG Y50’s I have a pair and sometimes listen to music next to my wife in bed at night. She’s never complained of sound leaking.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/headphones/headphones/akg-y50-headphones-black-10026311-pdt

Previously known as stevebrum
  • Akg. I've got some and they're great.

I also have some sennheiser ones that are great, but wearing out. 
  • Iamnobody said:
    I’d recommend AKG Y50’s I have a pair and sometimes listen to music next to my wife in bed at night. She’s never complained of sound leaking.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/headphones/headphones/akg-y50-headphones-black-10026311-pdt

Yes I saw those in Curry's today, didn't think of trying them out though.  I'll call in again on the weekend.  
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Those AKGs are fantastic, got a pair and they’re great 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    edited January 2018
    The Grado SR 60e are pretty good. They're about £75.

https://www.soundguys.com/grado-prestige-series-sr60e-review-1644/
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    Superlux from Thomann. Way way under your budget. Seriously good kit for peanuts. Buy some before they realise just how good they are...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    Superlux from Thomann. Way way under your budget. Seriously good kit for peanuts. Buy some before they realise just how good they are...
    What model, matey?
  • Looks like it's currently Y50s vs DT770s.   

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11799
    Closed back
    Studio monitors
    Neutral sounding 
    Good quality
    Under £100

Objectively there is actually a correct answer to this, the Sony MDR-7506 (or V6).  It is used in studios all over the world for good reasons. 

I have a pair they are great, and I can compare them to my Sennheiser HD600/580, momentum, Sony MDR-1000, Sennheiser HD-II 25 and I often just use the Sony 7506.