Short Scale Bass Recommendations

What's Hot

So, having gotten used to my Taylor GS Mini-e bass, in fact I am unable to put it down as it is more addictive than crack, I have come to realise that the vast majority of my bass playing woes over several years stem from my small hands vs. full scale bass necks. So I’ve decided to sell up all my full sized basses (Godin A4 and my new Aerodyne that’s barely a month old) and stick exclusively to short scale. I’ve been looking at a Gretsch G2220 but as I am a novice in the world of short scale basses I thought I better see if anyone has any recommendations or ideas. I have the Taylor and I’ll be getting a second as a back up but I want a short scale electric bass and as it will be my only EB I’d like as good quality as I can get...

Whaddya think?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    edited January 2018
    Reverend Wattplower might be a contender?

Doubtless budget will be the main concern.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited January 2018
    Scott Whitley produced a run of his own design short scale, but they are now produced by Chowny, there are vids of them on YouTube......

http://chownybass.com/product/swb-1-scott-whitley-signature/

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Yes, a Chowny SWB Pro is top of my list at the moment.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    This might sound odd since the scale length is almost as long as a standard full-scale - only 3/4" shorter, 33.25" - but see if you can find a Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003 to try. Like you I have small hands, and I've never been able to quite comfortably play a 34" scale - but I've also always found a 30.5" scale unsatisfying in the end, even though I've quite liked some basses with it.

Surprisingly given the small difference, the Rick scale is *perfect* for me, to the point where I've simply lost interest in all other basses really. They aren't cheap, but you only need one!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• This fella makes a lot of short scale versions of his basses, never tried one but he comes highly recommended on bass chat

https://www.public-peace.de/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/elwood/4-string/1981-elwood-4p-tobacco-burst-short170308

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    This fella makes a lot of short scale versions of his basses, never tried one but he comes highly recommended on bass chat

https://www.public-peace.de/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/elwood/4-string/1981-elwood-4p-tobacco-burst-short170308

Maruszczyk basses are excellent.. really top quality..
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    In terms of playability and tone a Fender Mustang with flats works for me as does a Gibson EBO. 
  • ICBM said:
    This might sound odd since the scale length is almost as long as a standard full-scale - only 3/4" shorter, 33.25" - but see if you can find a Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003 to try. Like you I have small hands, and I've never been able to quite comfortably play a 34" scale - but I've also always found a 30.5" scale unsatisfying in the end, even though I've quite liked some basses with it.

Surprisingly given the small difference, the Rick scale is *perfect* for me, to the point where I've simply lost interest in all other basses really. They aren't cheap, but you only need one!
    Despite Chris Squire being a very early bass influence of mine, I just don't dig Rickenbackers. I love the sound but something about the looks leaves me cold!
    ICBM said:

Despite Chris Squire being a very early bass influence of mine, I just don't dig Rickenbackers. I love the sound but something about the looks leaves me cold!
    I wouldn't worry. Nobody ever looks at/listens to the bass player. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Unless it's Lemmy.

Who used a Ric....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

Unless it's Lemmy.

Who used a Ric....
    Nah. He was a singer who used a bass to point at stuff :D
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    The cheap Hofner Ignition Beatle-style basses (the Violin or Club shape) are really good for the money...short scale, super light (fully hollow), unique sound.  No idea if the spendier versions offer much more in the way of playability or refinement, but might be worth investigating.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    For me the issue with short 30" scale is finding the right strings, in my admittedly blissful ignorance, on a long scale steings dont seem to matter so much, but the short scales get a bit flappy and tensionless with some brands, trouble is Ive forgotten what works for me on my Squier Bronco and Epi EB0......Both are pretty good for the price and have both had pickup changes...I particularly like the Bronco, but prefer Fender style guitars too....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• The cheap Hofner Ignition Beatle-style basses (the Violin or Club shape) are really good for the money...short scale, super light (fully hollow), unique sound.  No idea if the spendier versions offer much more in the way of playability or refinement, but might be worth investigating.
    They might, I have never considered one before, I hear wildly differing reports about them.
  • paulnb57 said:
    For me the issue with short 30" scale is finding the right strings, in my admittedly blissful ignorance, on a long scale steings dont seem to matter so much, but the short scales get a bit flappy and tensionless with some brands, trouble is Ive forgotten what works for me on my Squier Bronco and Epi EB0......Both are pretty good for the price and have both had pickup changes...I particularly like the Bronco, but prefer Fender style guitars too....
    I am lucky (in a sense) that the Taylor GS mini-e bass that turned me on to short scale in the forst place, has its own set of strings designed specifically for it. It is something I must discuss when choosing.
    paulnb57 said:
    I am lucky (in a sense) that the Taylor GS mini-e bass that turned me on to short scale in the forst place, has its own set of strings designed specifically for it. It is something I must discuss when choosing.
    The Danelectro Longhorn also has its own set of strings made by la Bella..
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27570
    The two that occurred to me were the Ibanez Talman short-scale bass and the short-scale Jaguar bass.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    The two that occurred to me were the Ibanez Talman short-scale bass and the short-scale Jaguar bass.
    I don't dig the Jaguars but I'm liking the look of the Talman basses.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Just reading through. I was in PMT a couple of weeks before Xmas and the Talmans ( Talmen?) quite caught the eye. 
    The Gretsch has the Royal Blood connection although I think he's moved on now. 
    Usually there is  a reasonable showing from Ibanez, Fender and Gretsch at the Birmingham guitar show so I'm reserving my bass GAS for that or after that now. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    paulnb57 said:
    It's worth looking for one with through-body stringing, like a Fender Mustang Bass. That adds about 2" to the effective string length and makes it easier to find full-scale strings that will fit. In fact, it can cause trouble with some short-scale strings because it brings the cotton wrap back to over the nut.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom