30ish watts amp with a lead boost / channel with marshally drive tones ??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
fancying a new amp and wondering what's out there. 
Looking for 30 ish watts , and a lead channel. I like jcm800's and tiny terrors for reference. 
What should I be looking at ?!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Orange rocker 30? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    jet city jca22 or 50
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Orange rocker 30? 
    +1

The old model - discontinued but not too rare. The guitarist in my band has one, it sounds fantastic. The lead channel is somewhere between an old Orange and a 2203 and takes boost pedals well, and the clean channel takes distortion and fuzz brilliantly. No FX loop though, if that matters.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    JCA custom 22 .. pm me as I might be moving one on 
  • If you like the Tiny Terror then why not look at the Dual Terror? I've found mine quite versatile. The only cons are no built-in reverb and no effects loop.

"When the train, it left the station, there was two lights on behind,
    Well, the blue light was my baby, and the red light was my mind.”
    Robert Johnson
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    Not 30 watts but don't discount a Mesa Stiletto Ace - a lot of amp for the money
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Marshall Astoria Dual or Custom.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    welshboyo said:
    Not 30 watts but don't discount a Mesa Stiletto Ace - a lot of amp for the money
    If you use a couple of the switches, it drops to around 30w

the ace is so much better than the deuce or trident
  • Cornford Roadhouse 30
  • Check out the Budda Superdrive 30 on here. Awesome rock amp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Check out the Budda Superdrive 30 on here. Awesome rock amp
    Yep, I play an SD18 now, best drive sound I’ve ever had. I don’t think it’s great as a channel switcher but as a single channel amp, it’s phenomenal 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Cornford Roadhouse
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Mini Silver Jubilee
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    JMP1 preamp and 20/20 valve power amp - all the jcm800 tones you could wish for and more :-)
    (I just happen to have this rig and will be selling it shortly lol)
  • timmysoft said:
    welshboyo said:
    If you use a couple of the switches, it drops to around 30w

the ace is so much better than the deuce or trident
    I had the deuce briefly and although it was fantastic quality and had everything I needed I found it a bit too fiddly (too many knobs and switches ) , I didn't warm to it particularly and it had a lot of glass in there !!
    it did however have everything I needed on paper. .
    did they make the ace as a head or just a combo ???
  • ICBM said:
    Orange rocker 30? 
    +1

The old model - discontinued but not too rare. The guitarist in my band has one, it sounds fantastic. The lead channel is somewhere between an old Orange and a 2203 and takes boost pedals well, and the clean channel takes distortion and fuzz brilliantly. No FX loop though, if that matters.
    I was worried that these amps might me a bit dark sounding , although your description makes it sound perfect !! 
    Fx loop doesn't matter to me , but I could do with sometime that has a boost for leads. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    edited January 2018
    riffpowers said:

I was worried that these amps might me a bit dark sounding , although your description makes it sound perfect !! 
    No, they sound like a real Orange, not like these dark, middy, muddy things they make so many of now . The best-sounding modern Orange by a mile.

Fx loop doesn't matter to me , but I could do with sometime that has a boost for leads. 
    But that could be a problem - they're cathode-biased, and inherently quite compressed... so when they're at high volume they don't get much louder with a boost in front.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FaffFaff Frets: 29
    Can I refer you to my Orange TH30 Combo for sale in Amps£ A Great no nonsense workhorse. Solid and reliable. As it happens, I'll be near Durham and I can deliver it this Saturday!
    Guitarist for...  HEY PIXIES - The UK's most gigantic PIXIES tribute band
    http://www.facebook.com/heypixies
    "We don't actually own any of this gear - we're just looking after it for the next Fretboarder."

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    If you mean a volume boost for leads, hardly any amps have one (Friedman Phil X does), but anything with a proper FX loop (Metro) will work with an EQ (but we've all explained this to you 500 times and here we are... :) )

My suggestion to you is this - Buy a Friedman Pink Taco or Dirty Shirley Mini from an online store, you then have 7 days to try it to your hearts content, and you can send it back for a full refund if you don;t like it.

They sound fantastic, are very fun to play, have proper FX loops so will take a lead boost pedal no prob, and they clean up brilliantly with your guitar's volume knob.