Best size acoustic for slide

What's Hot
Have been playing a bit of slide on my old dread which is ok
However would like something a bit smaller with a punchier sound. 
Any ideas. Ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Anything goes really. I think dreads make great slide guitars actually - that footage of early Cooder concerts springs to mind.

But any guitar will offer up a voice for slide - there's no best and there are exceptions for any rule anyone cares to state. Assuming 'punchier' means the same thing to you as it does to me, then I'd make sure I checked out smaller bodied guitars (parlour, Martin O/OO/OOO, Gibson L-00 body shapes....doesn't have to be those manufacturers, just those styles) in spruce top and mahogany back and sides. Depending on budget, an Adirondack spruce top would definitely max the punch.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    My 1946 Kay archtop is superb for slide. It's on the large side with approx 16.5" across at the widest point and barks like a Rottweiler. 

I've posted this pic before.... sorry if you've all seen it but needs must!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the tips
    Will have a look around. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    all depends if you are using fingerpicks, it so - almost any guitar will do
    are you amplifying the guitar?

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    hang on, I was assuming you are using a nut riser and playing it on your lap with a proper, heavy steel
    that's the way to get a punchy sound, instead of a rattly, weak sound
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    hang on, I was assuming you are using a nut riser and playing it on your lap with a proper, heavy steel
    that's the way to get a punchy sound, instead of a rattly, weak sound
    Although it does render you unable to play 90% of the most iconic slide guitar repertoire, because it also incorporates fretted notes.
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Really anything will do. Ry Cooder used a dreadnought. If it’s good enough for him...
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Hmm rolls, u can play slide on most steel strings s'long as it's set up for it - pick u'r size / style and go search for the sound u'd after.
    e.g. I like and have jumbo / s/j's and play slide (very occasionally) on them all + 12 stringers.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    On the occasions I've dabbled with Slide my cheapass Dreadnaught has sounded right powerful! (solid cedar top, laminated b&s) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Listen to Lewy! I’ve heard him play slide on many guitars and it always sounds stellar!