Short Scale Bass Recommendations

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBM said:
    It's worth looking for one with through-body stringing, like a Fender Mustang Bass. That adds about 2" to the effective string length and makes it easier to find full-scale strings that will fit. In fact, it can cause trouble with some short-scale strings because it brings the cotton wrap back to over the nut.
    Any SS bass I consider purchasing would be after contacting the makers to find out all about compatible strings. I'm just awaiting a reply from Chowny about just that. I will bear your comments about the Mustang in mind, thank you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Similar to the Hofner Violin bass is the Hofner Club bass. Same scale length, light weight and ultra slim neck. Tina Weymouth uses one and she gets some cool sounds.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    JezWynd said:
    Similar to the Hofner Violin bass is the Hofner Club bass. Same scale length, light weight and ultra slim neck. Tina Weymouth uses one and she gets some cool sounds.
    The Club uses the same body as the Club guitar - and is very similar to the Violin sound wise - it's a Violin for people who don't want a McCartney look alike but want the sound ;)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Fretwired said:
    Isn't that just a big guitar, tho?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    Fretwired said:
    That looks like an excellent idea - not daft money either.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited January 2018

Isn't that just a big guitar, tho?
    Not really. It's a baritone scale but with a hybrid string set and bass voicing via pickups and EQ. You can sound like a regular bass and do things normally done on guitar, but it doesn't sound like a guitar. Great for metal riffage though ...

Check this out .. very versatile ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • A pal of mine bought a A fender Mustang which I thought was very usable.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I have a Gretsch G5442 semi which is fantastic
  • Squier Bronco. Change the pickup and tuners and you're laughing for not much money.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited January 2018
    @victorludorum which replacement tuners did you use, I'm just starting to mod one... 
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    If you fancy making a partcaster short scale bass (32" scale), I might just have what you need. It's not completely finished yet, but when I'm back in the workshop most likely only take a couple of days to finish it. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

Resurrecting a slightly old thread here.  I ended up playing bass in church yesterday on a borrowed short scale bass.  One of these:

https://www.jhs.co.uk/brands/supro/supro-basses/supro-huntington-3-bass-w-piezo-tobacco-sunburst-flame

It was so easy to play.  Doesn't quite have the sound I'd ideally like but not sure of how much of that was down to the electrics.  I know it looks ugly, but if I went for a Mustang bass is it more likely to give that P bass kind of tone, or is the scale length an essential part of that?

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Squier Bronco cheap as chips!....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• How about a Kala? 21" scale Sub Ubass
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    I have a MIJ Fender Mustang bass. Not only does the 30in scale length make for an easier reach, the neck is lovely and slim, more so than most Jazz basses. When I take the Mustang out instead of one of my Precisions, it's like a night off!

Be aware though that the through-body stringing means 30in strings won't fit properly on the Mustang, you need a 32in set or else you may have silk coming over the top nut into the 'speaking' part of the string.
    Keefy said:
    I have a MIJ Fender Mustang bass. Not only does the 30in scale length make for an easier reach, the neck is lovely and slim, more so than most Jazz basses. When I take the Mustang out instead of one of my Precisions, it's like a night off!

Be aware though that the through-body stringing means 30in strings won't fit properly on the Mustang, you need a 32in set or else you may have silk coming over the top nut into the 'speaking' part of the string.
    How does the sound compare to the Precisions?
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    crunchman said:
    Keefy said:

How does the sound compare to the Precisions?
    Well my Precisions are an ash/maple original 1973, and an alder/rosewood 1963 AVRI - very different, but both quite detailed sounds. The Mustang is more straight-ahead, kind of like the snotty punk kid brother to the Precisions. Considering the price differential (a factor of 3 approx.) the Mustang acquits itself very well.
    edited February 2018
    Might have to try the Mustang.
  • I'd definitely recommend the Scott Whitley Signature.  My (13 year old) daughter's one arrived a few weeks back (there is a bit of a wait for them) and really impressed with the look/finish/set up/sound and if you go for the headstock in the same colour as the body it really stands out.  Very nice quality instrument for £400 I'd say.