SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

No longer required : Old MacBook Pro.

What's Hot
antifashantifash Frets: 603
edited January 2018 in Misc £
The graphic chip in my late 2011 15” MacBook Pro (i7). Do you have one lying around? Do you have a more recent one that works? Let me know what you have. Thanks. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Are you having the problem with the pink/purple lines across the screen? I had this on my 2011 MBP and they accepted that it was a common fault on the model and replaced the entire logic board (and then the display too as they damaged it whilst replacing the board!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    edited January 2018
    @bristol86 The whole screen went white. Then blue! And then really faint. Should I take it to an Apple store?
    Yikes. 

Not sure - when I did some homework on the issue I had it transpired it was a well known fault that in the US there was an active replacement program for. They ran some tests and agreed it shouldn’t have been a chargeable repair.

Nothing to lose by taking it in and asking nicely I guess!  
    Hmm looks like they no longer cover 2011 models

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/20/apple-ends-2011-macbook-pro-repair-program/

But I guess you could still try and appeal to their generosity?!
    @bristol86 Merde. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited January 2018
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Hmm looks like they no longer cover 2011 models

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/20/apple-ends-2011-macbook-pro-repair-program/

But I guess you could still try and appeal to their generosity?!
    @antifash ;;
    I would strongly suggest you visit an Apple Store and explain you weren't aware of the problem until recently and that they didn't contact you when the repair program was announced.

They can run a program which identifies if yours is included in the 'recall'. It was a defective graphics card on a certain batch of models. You may be pleasantly surprised.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @SRich I’ll try that. Thank you. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I did a DIY fix on mine. 5 years and still going strong!

• hasslehamhassleham Frets: 598
    @axisus Why would that work?! haha
    @axisus Yeah, I gotta say, I don’t understand why or how you came to this decision!
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    As with a lot of chips the solder sometimes develops cracks, it's a risky fix. It sort of reflows the solder making the connection again. It's a common fix for the old XBOX ring of death
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    edited January 2018
    With that heat gun trick your actually messing with the upper construction of the chip, the BGA joints beneath the chip need to get a lot hotter than that to resolder the lead free BGA. The problem is actually in the fabrication of the chip it'self. The same GPU chips fitted to Dell, HP and other OEM laptops went the same way.
    I used to think it was a BGA joint problem until I realised I could affect the chips action  at a much lower temperature than would ever affect the lead free BGA joints. Actually changing the GPU BGA chip is the only proper cure 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Just to add there are other chips on a Macbook \ Macbook Pro that do suffer BGA failure, likewise some of the chips on the iPhone 6 which aren't underfilled 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    As with a lot of chips the solder sometimes develops cracks, it's a risky fix. It sort of reflows the solder making the connection again. It's a common fix for the old XBOX ring of death
    Yup, that's it! I've also fixed two Xbox Ring of death scenarios in the past. I'm a real Mr fix it. 

Danny1969 said:
    With that heat gun trick your actually messing with the upper construction of the chip,

Don't knock it - it cost me nothing and I've had another 5 years so far out of that laptop!
    axisus said:
    Yup, that's it! I've also fixed two Xbox Ring of death scenarios in the past. I'm a real Mr fix it. 

Danny1969 said:
    With that heat gun trick your actually messing with the upper construction of the chip,

Don't knock it - it cost me nothing and I've had another 5 years so far out of that laptop!
    Yeah for yourself it's worth a try, it's just not something I could do for a customer as a warrantied repair and charge them accordingly though because as soon as they start doing something GPU intensive it's likely to re occur 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    axisus said:

Danny1969 said:

Yeah for yourself it's worth a try, it's just not something I could do for a customer as a warrantied repair and charge them accordingly though because as soon as they start doing something GPU intensive it's likely to re occur 
    Fair enough, I wouldn't do it for someone else. I also downloaded a software fix to speed up the fan, the problem is usually caused by overheating. 
    Apple told me that my machine was vintage and they don’t have access to the parts any more. They said to try the original place I bought it from (who said the same thing). So then I was left looking at new MacBooks which don’t even have all the ports or a SuperDrive. Nada. Bastards.