C18Q1 Bridgehouse's Tragedy Bass Rebuild - Abandoned

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    m_c said:
    Probly about the same as my usual nitro efforts then ;)

Either that or it's a stain finish, but I do want to protect those sides a bit!
    In all seriousness, modern water based automotive paints are slightly harder to work with. The biggest problem is they run far easier, and take longer to cure, so as long as you're aware of that, they're not that bad to work with.

And the only difference between gloss, satin, and matt finishes, are the thinners used. I needed some matt paint for a tractor bonnet a few years ago, and I was surprised to learn all it involved was using a different thinner when mixing the paint.

How about gloss black sides, then something satin/opaque for top and back?

Well, it was going to be a quick and easy project - hence why I thought an oil and stain might be called for. Certainly will be for the neck.

I might have a mooch in halfrauds later and see. If not it's Oil and knickers to the sides ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    I would never pay Halfords prices for paint, plus their paint isn't that good.

Find a small local automotive paint supplier, that can mix aerosols, or just have a search online.
    I used to have the benefit that my neighbour owned a small paint supplier, so was a good source for advise and paint, but he retired and moved away :-/
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    +1 on an automotive paint supplier, better paint to thinner ratio, better coverage, quicker drying, all round winner, in the long run, cheaper too and you can specify Cellulose....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Not all suppliers still deal with cellulose.
    Officially for automotive use it's only allowed for restoration work where the vehicle would of originally been painted with cellulose (modern paints will generally react if painted over cellulose, and modern paints can't achieve the same semi-gloss finish), so it's gradually becoming rarer.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    m_c said:
    Officially for automotive use it's only allowed for restoration work where the vehicle would of originally been painted with cellulose (modern paints will generally react if painted over cellulose, and modern paints can't achieve the same semi-gloss finish), so it's gradually becoming rarer.
    I'm talking rattle can and have never had an issue on the South Island, it would probavly be an issue to buy bulk Cellulose paint for spraygun spraying.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    m_c said:
    I'm talking rattle can and have never had an issue on the South Island, it would probavly be an issue to buy bulk Cellulose paint for spraygun spraying.....
    It's the same paint ;-)
    The only difference between brushable, and sprayable, are the thinners. Aerosol is simply sprayable put in a can and pressurised. If the supplier doesn't deal in cellulose, then you're not getting cellulose. However, most will still have ways of getting what you want.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    JezWynd said:
    Looks good, Danish Oil finish?
    I think given the rather weak sandwich sides and the fact it's a bit ugly round there it will need a proper colour spray.

I am tempted to do a car paint spray job just to see how bad they are..
    Excellent - the comedy element can make a return
    :D

I was thinking about some wooden disks. I'm not sure I have anything to cut them with. I may be able to use a cutter I have as it will need to have a central hole for the pot shaft anyway. 

I've got a set of hole cutters -  one of them might be the appropriate diameter for your holes?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    JezWynd said:
    Looks good, Danish Oil finish?
    I think given the rather weak sandwich sides and the fact it's a bit ugly round there it will need a proper colour spray.

Excellent - the comedy element can make a return
    :D

I was thinking about some wooden disks. I'm not sure I have anything to cut them with. I may be able to use a cutter I have as it will need to have a central hole for the pot shaft anyway. 

I've got a set of hole cutters -  one of them might be the appropriate diameter for your holes?
    I will measure later...!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Nowt wrong with Halfords car paints!...

I give you “Peugeot Aegean blue” coated with Rustoleum “glitter finish” topped off with Halfords clear coat!...
    http://a65.tinypic.com/iv9smg.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Right. Finished sanding the neck. Need some filler from the shop tomorrow to do the holes in the front face.

I have a cutter that will do a circular disk of just about the right size. So that means I just need some hardwood sheet and I can fill those silly control holes in the front.

Wandered into the garage to look for something totally unrelated and found 3 cans of Steve Robinsons finest nitro and one can of sanding sealer. So I now have

- 1 Primer
    - 1 Daphne Blue
    - 1 Clear Gloss

Daphne Blue and matching headstock it is then. Result. 
    I'm mid butchering on the body. Pics later just in case it's an embarrassing comedy failure.

However, a question whilst the various bits dry etc.

The bass has a battery holder (for the comedy LED lights - not a Preamp.) I wonder, is it worth having a Preamp onboard (though I want to stick with three controls) or would you stick with vol vol tone passive?

I will fit the battery holder but keep it empty if I stay passive..
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    More is always better, you know that.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    I think you need to figure out a way to install more comedy lights
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited January 2018
    Is it worth having a Preamp onboard (though I want to stick with three controls) or would you stick with vol vol tone passive?

This video might help. 

I was especially interested in the suggestion of switchable series/parallel interconnection of the two RBX pickups. There is an argument for permanently linking the two pickups and reconfiguring the control array to Master Volume and a stacked knob three-band EQ occupying the other two places.
    Be seeing you.
    Is it worth having a Preamp onboard (though I want to stick with three controls) or would you stick with vol vol tone passive?

This video might help. 

I was especially interested in the suggestion of switchable series/parallel interconnection of the two RBX pickups. There is an argument for permanently linking the two pickups and reconfiguring the control array to Master Volume and a stacked knob three-band EQ occupying the other two places.
    You edited your post so the video link has gone...
    FTFY
    Be seeing you.
    FTFY
    Ta! Will have a watch later on. Got me wood butchering apron on at the mo
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    This is a cool bass! 
    This is a cool bass! 
    You might want to reserve judgement till you see the final result ;)
    You might want to reserve judgement till you HEAR the final result ;)
    FTFY
    Be seeing you.