The "Bass collection re-stocking" thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Meh, too many frets
    which one? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    I like the look/sound of that Ibanez.  Keep me in mind when you need to flip it to make room for the stuff you buy at the Guitar Show.

There will be some *very* interesting instruments there
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Right, well. Much as the Ric discussion is interesting, I feel duty bound to get back on topic!

New Bass #1

2009 Fender AVRI 62 Precision

Yeah, yeah.. I know. It's another Precision. But this is basically Fender's copy of my '64. I don't gig the '64 - too much risk. But I love playing it. This one came up for a steal so I had to have it for gigging duties.

It looks like the 64. It plays very much like the 64. It sounds a lot like the 64. It's damn close. There's something missing, not sure what, but a little something..

Spot the difference:

'64:

2009 AVRI:

Man - you could've bought a Ric!

(Actually, I'd quite like an old Precision - a '64 would be nice...)
    @Prowla - I got that AVRI for less than I've seen any Ric for sale for at least 6 months..

And for my band the Ric wouldn't suit - the AVRI does.
    @Prowla - I got that AVRI for less than I've seen any Ric for sale for at least 6 months..

It's the other way around - the band doesn't suit the Ric. :-)

If the AVRI was less than a grand, then you'll be right there...
    prowla said:

It's the other way around - the band doesn't suit the Ric. :-)

If the AVRI was less than a grand, then you'll be right there...
    Aye, well not far off then ;) 

Cheapest I've seen a 4003 for recently was £1200

TTony said:
    I like the look/sound of that Ibanez.  Keep me in mind when you need to flip it to make room for the stuff you buy at the Guitar Show.

There will be some *very* interesting instruments there
    ;)
    It's right up your street - you'd like it a lot
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    prowla said:
    JezWynd said:
    @prowla, it's a 4001C64. A limited issue copy of McCartney's Ric, the one painted in pscyhedelic colours before being taken back to original wood. Obviously a right hander, they put a leftie neck on it to give it a vibe of the original. It's specced as an original 4001, with horseshoe pickup and gap tooth bridge but has a dual truss rod as per modern 4003's. It's my first Ric and I love it - very easy to play.
    I was looking at the bridge - it seems to be 3 screws, but I thought the reissues had the extra 2; that's why I asked. (I want a gap-tooth bridge, so it caught my eye!)

I think the horseshoe on those is just cosmetic, as opposed to being part of the pickup like the originals.

Nice.
    Yes the bridge has three screws. It has lifted a little but not enough to merit replacement (about 0.25cm). I did try to source a direct replacement as a spare just in case but they aren't available, only the 5 screw version.

I'm not sure about the bridge pu accuracy, I've not disassembled it to check and tbh, I spend most time on the neck pu, it has a beautiful sound, esp. when pushing a valve amp.

Nice basses @Bridgehouse. The Ibanez looks esp interesting. The weight makes it v attractive, though I'm not in the market for another bass.
    JezWynd said:
    prowla said:
    JezWynd said:
    @prowla, it's a 4001C64. A limited issue copy of McCartney's Ric, the one painted in pscyhedelic colours before being taken back to original wood. Obviously a right hander, they put a leftie neck on it to give it a vibe of the original. It's specced as an original 4001, with horseshoe pickup and gap tooth bridge but has a dual truss rod as per modern 4003's. It's my first Ric and I love it - very easy to play.
    I was looking at the bridge - it seems to be 3 screws, but I thought the reissues had the extra 2; that's why I asked. (I want a gap-tooth bridge, so it caught my eye!)

I think the horseshoe on those is just cosmetic, as opposed to being part of the pickup like the originals.

Nice.
    Yes the bridge has three screws. It has lifted a little but not enough to merit replacement (about 0.25cm). I did try to source a direct replacement as a spare just in case but they aren't available, only the 5 screw version.

I'm not sure about the bridge pu accuracy, I've not disassembled it to check and tbh, I spend most time on the neck pu, it has a beautiful sound, esp. when pushing a valve amp.

Nice basses @Bridgehouse. The Ibanez looks esp interesting. The weight makes it v attractive, though I'm not in the market for another bass.
    I tend to like both pickups rather than just the one.
    @JezWynd  - will update when I've have chance to use the Ibanez in anger!
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    50 Basses later I decided that I only needed my Bravewood '55 P and a Fretless Marleaux Consat Custom - They really did everything and the Marleaux's Fingerboard was Ebony, so it slapped really well.

Glockenlang Onboard Preamp for the Modern Tones and I had a Genz Benz 750 with a Valve Channel for Old School.

B:Assmaster Germanium Pedal for the Chris Squire thing (but I didn't like it) and a Boss DR880 for everything else.

It's easy to overthink things on a Bass, particularly the blasted Neck Profile.
    Schnozz said:
    50 Basses later I decided that I only needed my Bravewood '55 P and a Fretless Marleaux Consat Custom - They really did everything and the Marleaux's Fingerboard was Ebony, so it slapped really well.

Glockenlang Onboard Preamp for the Modern Tones and I had a Genz Benz 750 with a Valve Channel for Old School.

B:Assmaster Germanium Pedal for the Chris Squire thing (but I didn't like it) and a Boss DR880 for everything else.

It's easy to overthink things on a Bass, particularly the blasted Neck Profile.
    To be honest I could have stopped at the one Precision. Helix does enough for me and my needs for the band are quite simple. 

However, like most things in life, I'm in for the ride now and this is just about trying different stuff to see how it works!
  • ajaxajax Frets: 76
    Did someone say Ovation Magnum?   Looking to sell one.  Later (non-potato) body shape, passive (no graphic EQ).  Not many moneys wanted really.  If interested I'll get into details/ photos
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    ajax said:
    Did someone say Ovation Magnum?   Looking to sell one.  Later (non-potato) body shape, passive (no graphic EQ).  Not many moneys wanted really.  If interested I'll get into details/ photos
    That was probably me. I've just PM'd you.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I have a bit of experience of Warwick Basses (recorded a few via Neil Lough aka Bassoctopus who is the bassist in 300ft Gorilla) and I highly recommend a 90s thumb bass (if you can find one) or an Infinity (semi hollow with F holes)
    Cabicular said:
    I have a bit of experience of Warwick Basses (recorded a few via Neil Lough aka Bassoctopus who is the bassist in 300ft Gorilla) and I highly recommend a 90s thumb bass (if you can find one) or an Infinity (semi hollow with F holes)
    90s thumbs are getting quite collectible, and the prices are going up. I'd have to try one - I hear mixed reports on the necks and how playable they are
  • Do the Thumbs balance on a strap?

I do like the sounds I’ve heard from them but haven’t played one myself.
    Do the Thumbs balance on a strap?

I do like the sounds I’ve heard from them but haven’t played one myself.
    I've always found the shape a bit off putting 
    Cabicular said:
    90s thumbs are getting quite collectible, and the prices are going up. I'd have to try one - I hear mixed reports on the necks and how playable they are
    You either like the neck or you dont
    Neils is a 5 string so it is chunky alright
    the infinity is a more contemporary neck and probably a better all round sound, but the thumb has something... a real density and evenness in the low end I don’t think you can get from anything else.
    they sit quite comfortably to play although Neil and I are both over 6ft.
    They record really well. If you listen to any of the 300ft Gorilla stuff it is all over it. Only in the later albums he started using the infinity.