Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• Q1:  Where did you username come from?

The Mark Wirtz/Keith West song from Theme from A Teenage Opera

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

London Town

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

Release a mini album and an album this year with my band. Maybe play overseas? 

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

1964 Fender Jaguar - jangle city!

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? 

I Can See For Miles - The Who.  Impossible question though :) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from? I played golf for a few years and my nam is kev

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Newcastle - Geordieland

to learn to play guitar with my 10yo daughter. both complete beginners and she has just got a Yamaha Pacifica 112v from her grandad for christmas and I though learning together would be fun as well as helping her stick with it

my daughters pacifica, I'm yet to buy

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? I'm a fan of Guns N Roses, ACDC, Aerosmith, Foo Fighters and I find it difficult to pick just one. If forced I'd say Foo fighters - Learn to Fly as thats the track that got me into guitar heavy music as I was kinda lost in music limbo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BootsclanBootsclan Frets: 4
    edited January 2018

Hi I'm Bootsclan. Been playing since the tender age of 9 years old - 30 years is quite a while. I live in Buckinghamshire and am looking for a place to talk gear and for a safe forum for buying and selling. 

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Been in use a long time - an encompassing way to use my name!!

UK, Buckinghamshire

to enjoy playing and in search of the illusive magical tone. I'll know it when I find it....

Ltd edition Gretsch "Power Tenny"

The first real guitar track I ever heard when I was 8  - 'Wind cries Mary'.

• Hello, my name is Petar and I am from Sofia, Bulgaria. While looking around for gear information I noticed that the fretboard forum is pretty active and full of great finds. Looking forward to getting good deals on gear and learning a lot.

PetarNed - It's a combination of my first name and a shortened version of my family name - Nedyalkov.

Q2: Where in the world/country are you?

Sofia, Bulgaria

Q3: 
    What's your main musical ambition?

To have fun playing and to come up with the music I want to listen to and enjoy.

My '59 Wildwood Thin Skin AVRI Stratocaster which I brought from the US myself.

Ain't No Telling by Jimi Hendrix, so much going on in this song.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    Welcome @blank28 - but were the other questions too boring to bother with?  ;)
    Welcome @Grocer_Jack - good luck with the releases, feel free to post in the "plug my stuff" section when you're ready
    Welcome @kevoffthetee - that's a good incentive to learn to play, and you'll get plenty of suggestions on what to buy
    Welcome @Bootsclan - enjoying playing can be difficult enough without worrying about finding a magical tone too ...
    Welcome @PetarNed - I don't immediately remember that Hendrix track ... must go give it a listen.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BenjiDNABenjiDNA Frets: 1
    edited January 2018
    Hi all, Ben here from High Tech Distribution...after lurking on here thought I'd join in on the fun - nice to meet you all!! Ok, so here are my quick answers...

Band I was in growing up...
    Salisbury, UK
    My own happiness
    My Ruby Red custom built Vigier Excalibur Ultra
    I'll get back to you on this, depends on my mood...
  • CarewCarew Frets: 9
    Hello, I'm new

Wales

Wales/Canada
    pedal fiend
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blowinblowin Frets: 7
    Hello. Just getting back to playing after years away. Was in a couple of OK bands when I was in my teens and twenties although always 'relegated' to bass (sorry bassists) because I was never the best guitarist and made the mistake of buying one.

A few weeks ago I found myself with some money and time for the first time in a while so bought a Les Paul and started trying to remember everything...

I moved out of London to the Hertfordshire countryside. One of my team at the time (an Aussie) said "Don't buy a Land Rover, you'll look like a blow-in." It made me laugh and it's been a name on a few forums now.

North Herts. About 15 minutes into the sticks from J9 of the A1.

To play in a local band that, at worst, doesn't embarrass my children.

My wine red Gibson Les Paul Studio.

Band of Gold by Freda Payne. I love plenty of more obviously 'guitar' music but desert island discs wise this is number one. Worth noting, though, that it uses an electric sitar where most Invictus/Motown would have horns. So kind of fits...

• Hi I'm a solo acoustic guitar player / singer in Milton Keynes. Like many of you I buy, I try, I get bored, I sell. I like quality gear not because it's reliable necessarily but because it's well made and lasts (that's quality). I keep a very simple PA / guitar setup as it allows me to focus on the music, but occasionally I fall of the wagon and end up with more stuff to sell.

My name is Tom, so I am only a tom - you see?

I'm from lovely Bristol in England

I used to want to tour the world with a band, but I have a feeling that ambition has passed. These days it's just to enjoy and consume as much music as possible, and continue to create my own music.

My Gibson Les Paul - gifted to me by my uncle - a wonderful player that sounds phenomenal.

The Clash - (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais

• JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 190

Q1:  Where did you username come from? Nowhere special. It’s basically my name, with some generic digits. 

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Born in Widnes, currently live in Runcorn for my sins. Basically just outside of Liverpool.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? I was in a signed band for a number of years, playing blues/classic rock and sort of 70’s style fuzzy type stuff. Now I’m a full time electrical engineering student and father of three, so I just play where I can. I record/session with a couple of bands. And play covers occasionally in the Hard Days night hotel in Liverpool. That’s enough for me at the moment.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? My Hummingbird is my pride and joy. I get itchy over it from time to time. But luckily I come to my senses and realise how gutted I’d be without it. With everything else I’m very transient. 

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones. Not particularly guitar-focused.. it’s just my favourite song. 

''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''

Cant remember anymore, I started using the username in my early teens and it has stook since.

Nottingham/UK

To become a bedroom shredlord.

Constantly trading gear so nothing stays for long, but the best guitar Ive ever had was my custom Carillion Nemesis "Empress" 7 string.

Impossible :P

• fatneck59fatneck59 Frets: 1
    edited January 2018
    TTony said:

Q1:  Where did you username come from? My small neck teehee

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? I live in Spain but from the UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To try and play the guitar

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? AM93 cherry sunburst

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Over Kill, Colin Hay but to many too mention

[edit]
    ChristophEar has created a Spotify playlist of all the #1 tracks
    Everyone's #1 tracks.

And I just "stickied" this for as long as we've got lots of new rejoiners arriving!

It’s my name.

Epsom.

To keep improving and find the “Sound”.

RJM Mastermind GT. 

Aaaarg!!!

• Hello

Im new to the forum, used in the past for advice and info but never posted myself.
    Thought it was time to get off my arse, say hello, and contribute.

Q1 : My username was originally military slang for 'situation normal all f***ed up', its now a word in itself and its also the name of a BMX parts brand. I trained for the Royal Marines (but never joined as my daughter arrived), i also ride BMX (even though im 43), and....i like the word, thats it.

Q2: Manchester way

Q3: Play some big live gigs with my daughter, we started but have yet to finish.

Q4: Vintage Yamaha F335

Q5: Nah, you cant narrow it down to one, no way, never, i just wasted half an hour trying !!!
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from? It's just my Twitter name, nothing too exciting.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Scotland.

Played a long time as a drummer and have recently gone back to guitar in a big way!

Probably my Strymon Flint.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Secret Machines - The Road Leads Where It's Led
  • DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198

Drums is my main instrument, but I also play guitar; drums in three bands and guitar in one. Very busy working musician, music journalist and published author.

United State of America, the State of New Jersey

To continue making music and enriching people's lives in a positive way until I no longer am able to do so.

My best guitar is a reissue Newark Street Series Guild Starfire IV. Best guitar I own. It does everything well and plays, sounds and looks fantastic.

Favorite song of all time is, "I Fought The Law" by The Bobby Fuller Four.

USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947

Hi folks - I decided it wasn't enough to be on Twitter and other forums - I needed one for music too. I'm married with an almost-2 year old, own a stupid dog, and play in an instrumental band which can only practice monthly. It's just me and the drummer, and of course lots of loop pedals and ambient / noise effects. We're still doing practices but hoping to record and upload stuff for general consumption soon. I've spent years recording my own stuff which started with vocals but increasingly became more instrumental as tastes changed. Will edit signature to include list of gear if possible.

Bands which have influenced me most would be The Appleseed Cast, Radiohead, This Will Destroy You, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, And So I Watch You From Afar, Caspian, Fugazi, Refused and Deftones. Always loved PJ Harvey too. Mostly in the rock/post rock/experimental sphere but also a big fan of ambient electronic music too. And then everything else after that - blues, folk, black metal, funk, hardcore (punk), noise...if I like it, I like it. 

Q1:  Where did you username come from? It's my Twitter handle, and I probably first used it years ago when I was a member of Musofinder (remember that?). It's me plus my favourite guitar. 

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? South East Wales, but originally from Gloucester.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? Keep plugging away in current band > get stuff recorded properly > upload to bandcamp > profit!  And to keep recording my own stuff.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Can I choose one? If I have to, it's my trusty Standard Tele with upgraded p/ups. But I am fond of the Zoom Multistomp pedal...

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Hard to choose, but possibly 'Steps and Numbers' by The Appleseed Cast. 

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from? Rather unimaginatively, it's my name plus 1-25 is my Birthday, and when I played Rugby League I played number 12, and number 5 in Union.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Cheshire in the UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To practice various guitar stuff until it's at least recognisable and doesn't offend people's ears too much

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Currently my Fender SRV Signature Strat.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Impossible to say, I've thought about this on and off for days now, maybe Little wing/Hotel California/changes by the hour.

• Hi, I've just joined to see what goes on over here.  I've been a member of a couple of other (partially) guitar-related forums for a while, so it's possible that someone here might recognise me from there as I'm using the same user name.  I am 49 years old and not a very good guitarist; I played a tiny bit as a child but then only picked it up again a few years ago, through playing Rocksmith.

I got the gear bug and bought a bunch of guitars and other gear, but in the last year or so I've stopped buying guitars and started making them.  I've been to Crimson Guitars twice for their six-day guitar-building course - if you follow them on YouTube, you might have seen a video montage of photos of the guitars that my son and I made there last May.  Since then, I've started making guitars at home.  I recently finished the first one (although I need to do a couple of final corrections!) and I'm very close to finishing the second (actually a bass), and nos. 3 and 4 are both under way too.

Onto the questions...

Q1:  Where did you username come from?  My first name is Jonathan and one day I made up the name "GloopyJon" as a player name in a computer game.  I find the word "gloopy" rather comical, just because of the way it sounds.  The name stuck, and I use it on a couple of forums largely because it's a bit silly but it's rather unique.  As a sidebar, my profile picture is my two dogs (although the one on the right is all growed up now!).

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?  I live in Belgium but I am English.  I got a job offer out here nearly 25 years ago and stayed.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?  It used to be singing the role of the Russian in the musical Chess, but I'm probably starting to get a bit too old for that and I haven't done any musicals for a few years.  Now, it's probably more about learning how to make decent guitars.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?  I have a rather nice Wood Library PRS Custom 24 which looks and plays beautifully.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?  I haven't recorded any music (at least, nothing of any real worth), so....nothing to say here.