SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted- Canon EOS EF wide angle lens

What's Hot
mattdavismattdavis Frets: 840
edited January 2018 in Misc £
I’m trying to optimise my fairly basic APS-c sensor Eos 500d camera (which has a crop factor of about 1.6!) with a wider faster prime lens (as my standard 18-55 lens is quite slow). Anyone got something like the EF-s 24mm pancake lens going spare before I buy a new one?

Similarly any older standard EF mount wide angle prime lenses to compliment my 50mm lens on my old film 1000f would be of interest. 

Cheers folks 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    If you don’t get any luck on here, try MPB.  ;) Bought lots of gear from them and they’re a decent company 
    https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    edited January 2018
    Some years ago I bought the EF 40mm f/2.8 for my 650d and absolutely love it.  Combined with the cropped sensor it means I have to spend longer framing my photos because they're slightly more zoomed in than a traditional 50mm lens on a full frame camera.  But I feel this has added to the amount of thought I have to put into my photos, added to which the pictures are really crisp.  It's rewarding to play around with them in Lightroom.

In 2016 I bought the 24mm version expecting to use it maybe even more than the 40mm lens but it didn't work out this way.  It's slow to focus and takes many more out of focus shots.  The wider field of view has never resulted in a more rewarding photo even of landscapes, which I can only explain as resulting from my familiarity with the 40mm lens.  About 2 months ago I lent the 24mm lens to a friend because I just ended up carrying it around with me and never using it.  I wouldn't care if he keeps it.
    revsorg said:
    Some years ago I bought the EF 40mm f/2.8 for my 650d and absolutely love it.  Combined with the cropped sensor it means I have to spend longer framing my photos because they're slightly more zoomed in than a traditional 50mm lens on a full frame camera.  But I feel this has added to the amount of thought I have to put into my photos, added to which the pictures are really crisp.  It's rewarding to play around with them in Lightroom.

In 2016 I bought the 24mm version expecting to use it maybe even more than the 40mm lens but it didn't work out this way.  It's slow to focus and takes many more out of focus shots.  The wider field of view has never resulted in a more rewarding photo even of landscapes, which I can only explain as resulting from my familiarity with the 40mm lens.  About 2 months ago I lent the 24mm lens to a friend because I just ended up carrying it around with me and never using it.  I wouldn't care if he keeps it.
    But sometimes you just need that wider angle. Horses for courses. My 16-35 gets just as much use as my 24-105. If anything it’s my longer lenses that don’t get used much. 
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 840
    Thanks for the advice chaps..
    It’s also worth joining the Talk Photography forum if you’re not already a member. They’ve got a good classifieds section and you can sometimes get some real bargains on there. You do have to jump through some hoops first to get access to the ads section but it’s worth it. (Be warned, there are a lot of old farts and pedants on there but there’s plenty of good advice to be had too). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Pedants on a forum? Never!!! :-)

thanks for that - I’ll check it out 
  • How wide and fast do you require?

http://www.ffordes.com/product/17101216165581
    edited January 2018
    Cheers @strumjoughlamps Think I’m set on the compact and pretty affordable EF-s 24mm pancake for my 500d. Going to head off toJessops in a bit. 
  • mattdavis said:
    Cheers @strumjoughlamps Think I’m set on the compact and pretty affordable EF-s 24mm pancake for my 500d. Going to head off toJessops in a bit. 
    STM lenses are great especially if shooting video with AF on, I wouldn’t consider 40 odd mm as wide tho.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    Does it have to be prime? If not the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 is well rated. I’m toying with the idea of one for my APSc Nikon.
    Budgie said:
    Does it have to be prime? If not the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 is well rated. I’m toying with the idea of one for my APSc Nikon.
    Likewise the Sigma 10-16 is a great lens, especially for the money. You can pick up one s/h for around £250 in mint condition.