Turning Knowledge Into Instinct - Connecting the Ears & Fingers

What's Hot
mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
I thought I'd share this as I thought it was excellent.

I've often found that it's one thing to learn a new mode / arpeggio etc, but another to apply it and make it 'your own'.

I found this video extremely inspiring.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Thanks dude! :)
    Support me on Youtube or Patreon
    https://www.patreon.com/leviclay    |    https://www.youtube.com/c/leviclay
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited January 2018
    the key points are made in the first one and a half minutes...
    essentially "I know all the stuff and can play every scale but I can't play good solos myself"

the solution is two fold...
    - repertoire: learn lots of songs and lots of solos
    then
    - experiment with what you have learned: you are exercising your creativity
    so... try to turn one lick from the solo into many by changing small bits and noting the impact these changes have in context..
    play over the song you've learned and use it as a backing track to try out your experiments..

some of what you come up with will suck bad... 
    this is good.. finding out what don't work is as important as finding out what does..
    if it sucks in that context.. solution... don't do it again..
    if it sounds great... you're onto something

noodling with the guitar is as [or more] important than learning all the scales, arps and theory
    because ultimately, your ear rules the roost
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't help but point out that not only is that not the advice given in the video.... but that's not even the question being answered...

The question has nothing to do with actual vocabulary, as the title suggests, it's about making the things you know instinctive.

You can do absolutely everything you've claimed and still be no closer to turning knowledge into instinct. It's no use at all if you work out a shit ton of things you like and are then in a world where you play those things over and over.  What do you do when you come up against a song with a 13b9 chord and none of the things you've pre worked out work on it?

What good is stating that your ears rule the roost (which is bloody obvious) when you don't have the ability to have them interpret new sounds and deal with them instinctively. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I can't help but point out that not only is that not the advice given in the video.... but that's not even the question being answered...

The question has nothing to do with actual vocabulary, as the title suggests, it's about making the things you know instinctive.

You can do absolutely everything you've claimed and still be no closer to turning knowledge into instinct. It's no use at all if you work out a shit ton of things you like and are then in a world where you play those things over and over.  What do you do when you come up against a song with a 13b9 chord and none of the things you've pre worked out work on it?

What good is stating that your ears rule the roost (which is bloody obvious) when you don't have the ability to have them interpret new sounds and deal with them instinctively. 

experimentation, composition and improvisation [and lots of it] turns knowledge / repertoire into instinct
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I guess that's why I make content people like and you dole out advice like "play a lot and you'll get better,  that's all" and wonder why you're not helping anyone.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Why the friction guys ?

You are both right.

Just viewing the learning process from different perspectives.

• BradBrad Frets: 658
    edited January 2018
    I've no horse in this race so to speak, but from my experiences both with my own playing and teaching/watching others as per the video above, singing really bridges the gap between fretboard knowledge/fingers to the mind/ears/heart/soul etc faster than any other method I've come across.

It really helps get the 'sound' of things in my ear and places them in a new context on the fretboard, whether I'm learning a new scale or concept, transcribing a line, anything. Further more, timing, phrasing and melodic direction are vastly improved too. It really helps harness the knowledge that a lot of us guitar players obsess over, that lot of horn players I know don't seem so hung up about. I wonder why that is eh? wink  
    Why the friction guys ?

You are both right.

I don't understand the friction either
    bailing out of this cos people like me are clearly not helping anyone...
    laters
    Clarky said:
    Why the friction guys ?

You are both right.

laters
    Don't bail fella, just seems there's been a bit of cross wires between you guys. Sure it's nothing that can't be sorted out. :smile: 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited January 2018
    Brad said:
    Clarky said:
    Why the friction guys ?

You are both right.

laters
    Don't bail fella, just seems there's been a bit of cross wires between you guys. Sure it's nothing that can't be sorted out. smile 

Yes two great players I have huge respect for. I think there might have been an unfortunate misunderstanding.

It's not a competition.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 275
    Brad said:
    Clarky said:
    Why the friction guys ?

You are both right.

laters
    Don't bail fella, just seems there's been a bit of cross wires between you guys. Sure it's nothing that can't be sorted out. smile 

Yes two great players I have huge respect for. I think there might have been an unfortunate misunderstanding.

I agree - it sounds like a misunderstanding. Please keep the conversation going.
  • Because coming in and saying "the key points are made in the first one and a half minutes..." and essentially trying to remove the need to watch the video is a dick move - ESPECIALLY when he then proceeds to completely miss the point of the video, suggesting he didn't even watch it.

I just don't see how that comment helps anyone.

By all means come in and say "this is how I do it", even contradict me, but to divert people away from my content by inaccurately summarizing it?

I can't see how people don't see where I'm coming from.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Because coming in and saying "the key points are made in the first one and a half minutes..." and essentially trying to remove the need to watch the video is a dick move - ESPECIALLY when he then proceeds to completely miss the point of the video, suggesting he didn't even watch it.

By all means come in and say "this is how I do it", even contradict me, but to divert people away from my content by inaccurately summarizing it?

No I get that, and that initial comment didn't come across well either in my opinion, which was where my suggestion of misunderstanding was directed. As it then seemed to spiral out of control. 

If anyone has any brains, they'll have read the comments that have provoked your wrath and had even more reason to watch your video and make their own mind up eh?
    Brad said:
    Because coming in and saying "the key points are made in the first one and a half minutes..." and essentially trying to remove the need to watch the video is a dick move - ESPECIALLY when he then proceeds to completely miss the point of the video, suggesting he didn't even watch it.

No I get that, and that initial comment didn't come across well either in my opinion, which was where my suggestion of misunderstanding was directed. As it then seemed to spiral out of control. 

If anyone has any brains, they'll have read the comments that have provoked your wrath and had even more reason to watch your video and make their own mind up eh?
    re-read what I wrote...
    this is a misunderstanding that is entirely of my own making..

I did see the vid from start to end.. liked it too..
    I thought the fella that did it, did a very good job.. and points made in it resonate with me because I do similar things myself..
    unfortunately, after watching it I was in a rush to reply cos I had to be somewhere and running out of time..
    wrote what was in my head at the time but didn't write it at all well..

"the key points are made in the first one and a half minutes..."
    should have been [I intended it to be understood as]
    "the key issues are stated in the first one and a half minutes..."
    because like the fella in the vid, I see this a lot too from my own students and guitar playing friends..
    it's a common problem..

my intention was never to be "don't watch the vid"
    my suggested solution is not 'instead of what's in the vid'... it was intended to be 'also try'

Aaaand relax...