The "Bass collection re-stocking" thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Yeah I prefer the corvette shape but the pickups are in a different position on the thumb.

Though if I got another bass at this point it’d be a G&L L2000 I think, based on tone. Though I’d love to try a Dingwall to see how the low B comes out on a fan fret

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:
    I have a bit of experience of Warwick Basses (recorded a few via Neil Lough aka Bassoctopus who is the bassist in 300ft Gorilla) and I highly recommend a 90s thumb bass (if you can find one) or an Infinity (semi hollow with F holes)
    90s thumbs are getting quite collectible, and the prices are going up. I'd have to try one - I hear mixed reports on the necks and how playable they are
    You either like the neck or you dont
    Neils is a 5 string so it is chunky alright
    the infinity is a more contemporary neck and probably a better all round sound, but the thumb has something... a real density and evenness in the low end I don’t think you can get from anything else.
    they sit quite comfortably to play although Neil and I are both over 6ft.
    They record really well. If you listen to any of the 300ft Gorilla stuff it is all over it. Only in the later albums he started using the infinity.

If the new Ibanez has taught me anything, it's that I need to be more open to trying new stuff more, so I wouldn't discount a thumb at all until I'd tried one. I would like a few more "modern" styles/sounds in the collection and a Warwick probably needs to be in there. 
    I've seen a few original L2000s recently for silly money. My worry is how much the sound overlaps the core precision sound
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    He also used it in my stuff which is a little less heavy

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s0u1b1o1x38efc/04%20Sufferance.mp3?dl=0
  • I've seen a few original L2000s recently for silly money. My worry is how much the sound overlaps the core precision sound
    Never tried one, but there are a lot more sounds in them otherwise with the series/parallel switching and second pickup, plus you can wire them for splits too.

From what I can tell from the demos I’ve heard it can sound similar to the precision in one position but not the same.
    Cabicular said:
    He also used it in my stuff which is a little less heavy

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s0u1b1o1x38efc/04%20Sufferance.mp3?dl=0
    Thanks - I shall have a listen later.

I do appear to be negotiating another left field purchase this morning tho..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've seen a few original L2000s recently for silly money. My worry is how much the sound overlaps the core precision sound
    Never tried one, but there are a lot more sounds in them otherwise with the series/parallel switching and second pickup, plus you can wire them for splits too.

From what I can tell from the demos I’ve heard it can sound similar to the precision in one position but not the same.
    Funny you should mention series parallel switching. My current negotiation includes exactly that.. hmmm
  • I think the Tribute L2K is supposed to have a huge neck, which IIRC is you’re preference. They seem an excellent deal used
    I think the Tribute L2K is supposed to have a huge neck, which IIRC is you’re preference. They seem an excellent deal used
    Yes - the original l2000 was a 1.75 nut and slim back to front - the tribute is the same.
    Having said that, the Ibanez is a super slim neck and I'm quite liking it - nothing is off the table.

One of these days I'll find a Jazz that I actually like playing... maybe.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Having said that, the Ibanez is a super slim neck and I'm quite liking it - nothing is off the table.

I don’t even particularly like mine...
    I’ve got a 70s maple neck precision which is a fantastic Bass. The jazz just seems kinda flat
    I put quarter pounders in it and that helped but they are maybe just not my style
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671

If I was buying basses today (money no object) then:

If allowed one, I'd buy a nice P bass.

If two, I'd buy a P bass and a Rickenbacker 4003.

If three, I'd buy a P bass, a Rickenbacker and a Musicman Bongo 4HS

Other than that I don't think I'd want anything, apart from maybe a Yamaha SBV500 for old times' sake.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Paul_C said:

If I was buying basses today (money no object) then:

If allowed one, I'd buy a nice P bass.

If two, I'd buy a P bass and a Rickenbacker 4003.

If three, I'd buy a P bass, a Rickenbacker and a Musicman Bongo 4HS

Other than that I don't think I'd want anything, apart from maybe a Yamaha SBV500 for old times' sake.
    Well I have 3 nice P basses ;)

At the moment this is supplemented by a hollowbody. I have some Partscasters which do individual things and are handy to have. 

Will be interesting to see where I end up!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited January 2018
    Cabicular said:

I don’t even particularly like mine...
    I’ve got a 70s maple neck precision which is a fantastic Bass. The jazz just seems kinda flat
    I put quarter pounders in it and that helped but they are maybe just not my style
    Does that have the bridge pickup closer to the bridge?

I prefer the 60’s position (which is the current standard position) where the bridge pickup is closer to the neck.

Took me a while to work that out though, I did GAS after a 70’s position bass for a while but I think the in between position is nicer on the 60’s position. Nice scoop but not too aggressive.

If you want fatter the EMG J set is nice. Though I went back to the stock pickups on mine, through an Aguilar Tone Hammer it sounds great and can get the level bump it needs (IMO).

It's official. New bass deal negotiated and paid.

So, new bass incoming... 
    Sneaky peak from the seller - new photos when it arrives..

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Too many frets, already, Reuben.
    Be seeing you.
    Too many frets, already, Reuben.
    I need somewhere to keep my dust.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    More pics I don't hear you say?

Oh, ok then..

(You're getting them whether you like them or not)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Ah lovely, the ACG cricket club auction bass, that's a real corker. And a bargain too!

Is that a flat radius board? Interesting...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom