Junction box for on off footswitch

What's Hot

I have an on/off footswitch.  Is there a product such as a 1/4 inch instrument cable junction box that would allow me to plug the footswitch in and use it for on/off to interrupt the signal to the amp, instead of plugging the footswitch directly into an amp?  (E.g. where the amp doesn't have its own footswitch socket?)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8687
    I presume that you simply want to put a switch between your guitar and your amp. A Boss LS-2 line switcher will do this. There are cheaper ways, such as making one yourself with two jack sockets and a latching footswitch in a Maplin aluminium project box.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • APHallAPHall Frets: 0
    Thanks Roland. That's very helpful.

I already have the footswitch (a cheap Lynx LS102) I was thinking to use that. But that would require a third jack for its cable and I have no idea what the circuit in the box would need to be, to route the signal from guitar to amp via the footswitch.. I could build it if I knew that.

Thoughts, anyone?
    I asume the wiring is like this. 
    https://goo.gl/images/5s7cav

Except that in my case the two wires to the switch will go to a third jack, allowing the footswitch to be plugged in. Is that correct?

Also can anyone tell me what gauge and impedance wire I should use to wire it up?

Cheers.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396

Is the switch just going to mute when you press it ? if so then use the switch to short the tip to the sleeve ..... basically a mute switch or kill switch in a box. Any wire will do, something thin is ideal .... doesn't need to be shielded if you use a metal box. Impedance of single bits of wire is irrelevant 

What are you going to use it for ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8687
    The wiring is as the first image in that Talkbass thread, but with a latching switch (stays off/on when pressed) instead of momentary (only on/off when pressed). It replaces your existing switch. 

Any copper per wire would do because the current of a guitar signal is so small. Rather than buy wire I often use brown and blue covered wire stripped out of old mains cables.

Before you go any further down the make-it-yourself line, do you have the tools and skills to do this? You’ll need a drill on a stand, conventional and conical drill bits to make holes for sockets and switch, and a vice to hold the box whilst drilling. Without these you will screw up the box, and possibly your hand.

The LS-2 is about £79 to buy new, less second hand, and there are cheaper copies.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Thanks Gents!

I do just want to mute the signal. 

Great advice. I'll bear it in mind!

All the best.

Adrian. =)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27990
    If you're looking for a specification of wire to buy I would suggest 7/0.2 - pretty standard stuff for pedals. It's seven 0.2mm wires twisted together in an overall sheath.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Thanks Sporky.
  • I may be missing something here, but doesn't every tuner pedal on the market do this?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb