Think Fuzz tones stink ?........feast your ears on this

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
https://youtu.be/fU6oBFEix8E

Big loose, wallowy, flubby, farty, spitty and soggy undefined bloated mess, thats is how ive always viewed fuzz pedals. Then there is the fuzz unit in the clip, costs a bloody fortune but what a sound !! Anyone own one of these ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I always find expensive fuzz pedals an odd one that I'm conflicted on. Sometimes it's such a cool sound but I'd feel weird spending that much money on something that sounds so nasty... but in a good way. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    IS there anything special in that sound? Not really. Will stick to my FZ2
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I think it's the player rather than the stomp that sounds so good
    play every note as if it were your first
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    As a general rule I don't like fuzz, but the video sounded good!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    sounds great, really clear, would like to hear it in the room, I love fuzz pedals and own a good number, but often once playing them I get annoyed that they are not tighter
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    edited January 2018
    I’m not a big fan of fuzz pedals generally but that was pretty good.    By coincidence it was the same pedal that I thought sounded the best on this weeks episode of that pedal show.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sounds great, really clear, would like to hear it in the room, I love fuzz pedals and own a good number, but often once playing them I get annoyed that they are not tighter
    I think most fuzz pedals have a big fat saggy arse that skims the carpet like vanessa feltz's rear end, that mkiv just seems to yank on the corset strings and tighten everything up......i think it sounds awesome in the clip
  • The problem I always, always have with Fuzz demos is that its nearly impossible to tell whats the pedal and whats the amp. A slightly crunchy valve amp (which is what that sounds like) reacts so differently to a clean amp that its really hard to judge. 
  • https://youtu.be/cUlFakvc4p8

@Modulus_Amps here is a 2nd clip of the mkiv vintage fuzz, still sounding pretty good
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    This is an awesome  crossover dist / fuzz demo .. 

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I still are not like teh fuzz buzz.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I still are not like teh fuzz buzz.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited January 2018
    sounds great, really clear, would like to hear it in the room, I love fuzz pedals and own a good number, but often once playing them I get annoyed that they are not tighter
    This is my problem with a lot of fuzzes as well. I love the sound for leads and bluesy single string riffing but if I want to do anything with palm mutes it goes mushy. Apparently the Buzzaround circuit is good for a tighter low end but I've never tried one. For me a Rat is the best compromise but I just wish it was a bit fuzzier sounding earlier on the dial and there was one with a slightly different voicing as theres something in the tone/voicing that grates on me after a while playing mine.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1809
    Wasn't that pedal featured on the latest TPS fuzz episode ?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • hotpickups said: 
    Wasn't that pedal featured on the latest TPS fuzz episode ?
    yes it was and it blew the others away
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    I was never a fan of fuzz, always thought it was a big of a grungey flubby undefined mess... 
    They I went on that guitar breaks trips and Pete Honore (from the andertons channel etc) had a Thorpy on his board (I cant remember which it was maybe @ThorpyFX can help, it was the one that had the clean boost built in? dual pedal)
    And that sounded awesome! Fuzz without the brutal flubbiness (if you didnt want it). seemed halfway between and OD/Dist and a Fuzz.

That Velevet Fuzz by Wampler sounds great. I'm looking at a high gain OD for solo's for my small board, and was thinking of a fuzz but thought it wouldnt be versatile enough, but that sounds like it covers most with the tight / big switch.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I only use 2 fuzz pedals, a silicon Fuzz Face for spiky, aggressive sounds and a Fuzz Factory for everything else.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1809
    Is this fuzz buffer friendly does anyone know?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6089
    tFB Trader
    ash96 said:
    I was never a fan of fuzz, always thought it was a big of a grungey flubby undefined mess... 
    They I went on that guitar breaks trips and Pete Honore (from the andertons channel etc) had a Thorpy on his board (I cant remember which it was maybe @ThorpyFX can help, it was the one that had the clean boost built in? dual pedal)
    And that sounded awesome! Fuzz without the brutal flubbiness (if you didnt want it). seemed halfway between and OD/Dist and a Fuzz.

That Velevet Fuzz by Wampler sounds great. I'm looking at a high gain OD for solo's for my small board, and was thinking of a fuzz but thought it wouldnt be versatile enough, but that sounds like it covers most with the tight / big switch.
    Pete has the silicon Veteran and plays the s*** out of it, that man is a tour de force.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6089
    tFB Trader
    Is this fuzz buffer friendly does anyone know?
    Ask scotty I’m sure he’ll know.

That being said I know the buffer friendly thing is vital/important to some people but the whole tone of a germanium fuzz comes from the fact that fuzzes like the fuzzface and Mk1.5 TB are virtual earth current drive inputs, like shoving your pickup straight into the - terminal in an op amp, so there’s tons of gain-  and possible instability. Backing off the guitar vol is like adding the missing series resistor, which reduces gain and cleans it up making it less noisy and more stable.

That’s why it’s so important in those circuits that the pedal “sees” the pickups, that being said the benefits of loopers makes it possible to have your cake and eat it. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com