Internet getting worse Advertising to blame.

What's Hot
Am I the only one who is fed up of all the advertising blurb all over the internet
it seems your mouse only has to hover over something a second or two and
some process starts and when you try click off it freezes and screws everything
up.Even  youtube becomes a chore when watching guitar videos as the
bloke with the beard and bouncy balls won't shut up.Everything seems to be
getting more intollerably irritating..
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Getting older does that to you..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Adblock
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited January 2018
    /\ they wise to Adblock now and make you disable it to continue

The worst for me is these bloody videos in 'thumbnail' format that creep up and blare out at you and you have to navigate away from what you are reading to find them and stop them, then as soon as you navigate away they start agin
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I find it interesting that each time they upgrade our (as in everyone, not just myself) internet speeds, there are ways found to fill it with even more crap than before, thus slowing it down again. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Yes, I object to sites comendeering my audio and often giving me heart attacks
    if my volume was up from watching a badly recorded video on youtube.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    57Deluxe said:
    /\ they wise to Adblock now and make you disable it to continue

The worst for me is these bloody videos in 'thumbnail' format that creep up and blare out at you and you have to navigate away from what you are reading to find them and stop them, then as soon as you navigate away they start agin
    Then try Ublock. I rarely have trouble with that on youtube. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Just added it will give it a go thanks.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Click bait is the biggest problem, no matter what page your one there's endless bits of click bait trying to entice you to click so you can read one paragraph of something interesting but are surrounded by a sea of adverts. Thank god for this site
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    And content gets split over multiple pages for no reason other than to generate more clicks.
    Danny1969 said:
    Thread bait is the biggest problem, no matter what page your one there's endless bits of flat earth or tonewood baiting trying to entice you to click so you can read one paragraph of something interesting but are surrounded by a sea of thread drift. Goddam this site
    FTFY ;)
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    I'll just leave this here...

http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    All that content has to be paid for somehow, this is the trade off. Years ago we got rid of autoplay videos blaring out from some random tab in the browser, now they've made a sneaky comeback which is what makes me add sites to my blocklist. Mobile phones  were a bit of a sanctuary for a while  but now with 2 page long scrolling ads, requests to fill out newsletter subscriptions before the main page loads or the equally annoying "please take our site survey. Let us know how were doing" it's getting back to the bad old days. 

I use adblock, ghostery etc but I don't mind ads that could be relevant to me to  just hate the scattergun approach that a lot of sites now use. 

God bless The Fretboard...........
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    edited January 2018
    "Sure, I'd love to sign up to your newsletter! Why, I've only just been on your site for less than one second, have no idea what you do or what it's about but, go ahead, sign me up!"

-- said no one ever
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • AlmachAlmach Frets: 105
    MVPS hosts helps too.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    WezV said:
    And content gets split over multiple pages for no reason other than to generate more clicks.
    They get right on my tits. "10 most biggest things..." lists that don’t even have the decency to use an AJAX handler to pull the content and, as a result, reload the already ad-heavy page every bloody time. They can be a right old chore. I’ve got to the point where I don’t even bother with them on anything other than a desktop browser, and even then they tend to be rehashed content. 

I don’t mind them splitting a list over a couple or three pages, but those page-per-paragraph ones can knob right off. 
    randella said:
    WezV said:
    They get right on my tits. "10 most biggest things..." lists that don’t even have the decency to use an AJAX handler to pull the content and, as a result, reload the already ad-heavy page every bloody time. They can be a right old chore. I’ve got to the point where I don’t even bother with them on anything other than a desktop browser, and even then they tend to be rehashed content. 

I don’t mind them splitting a list over a couple or three pages, but those page-per-paragraph ones can knob right off. 
    Congratulation! You have special selected for free iphone7. Enter bank details for enter.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    randella said:
    WezV said:

Congratulation! You have special selected for free iphone7. Enter bank details for enter.
    Nope, no dice. 

I want to be LITERALLY AMAZED at how this one simple trick can help me get cheaper life insurance and then I’ll click. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Just the other day, a girl at work was talking about keeping chickens.  She has never researched it online. 
    Next time she goes online, she gets bombarded with ads for eggloos etc.   
    Turns out that her iPhone was actually listening to the conversation she was having and responded accordingly.... You need to turn off the mic apparently.  

I didn't even know this was a thing?
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Danny1969 said:
    Click bait is the biggest problem, no matter what page your one there's endless bits of click bait trying to entice you to click so you can read one paragraph of something interesting but are surrounded by a sea of adverts. Thank god for this site
    Absolutely. They entice a reader with a 'you'll never guess what happened next' type question and then you spend the following ten minutes clicking through the photos or whatever to discover the picture you clicked isn't actually there.....infuriating but I fall for it every so often.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    When browsing using a tablet, I hate sites that load adverts after the main page has loaded, making the content move down a bit further - often I'll click a link just as it moves and end up clicking the wrong thing - happens to me a lot on join my band