Internet getting worse Advertising to blame.

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    RobDavies said:
    Just the other day, a girl at work was talking about keeping chickens.  She has never researched it online. 
    Next time she goes online, she gets bombarded with ads for eggloos etc.   
    Turns out that her iPhone was actually listening to the conversation she was having and responded accordingly.... You need to turn off the mic apparently.  

I didn't even know this was a thing?
    Did she have Siri enabled? I can understand it if she did - although it's still something that would surprise most iPhone users, I'm sure - but if it was just listening to ambient noise without it turned on that's far more worrying.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    RobDavies said:
    Just the other day, a girl at work was talking about keeping chickens.  She has never researched it online. 
    Turns out that her iPhone was actually listening to the conversation she was having and responded accordingly.... You need to turn off the mic apparently.  

Did she have Siri enabled? I can understand it if she did - although it's still something that would surprise most iPhone users, I'm sure - but if it was just listening to ambient noise without it turned on that's far more worrying.
    I've never googled anything about dentistry but am currently regularly visiting my dentist regarding gum problems. Cue loads of sidebar ads on my facebook feed for dental practices in Eastern Europe.

Is it a coincidence that this has only started happening in the few months since I got my first proper smartphone with GPS?
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    57Deluxe said:

The worst for me is these bloody videos in 'thumbnail' format that creep up and blare out at you and you have to navigate away from what you are reading to find them and stop them, then as soon as you navigate away they start agin
    That is especially irritating when you're browsing while hiding in a toilet cubicle at work. 

Apparently.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Is it a coincidence that this has only started happening in the few months since I got my first proper smartphone with GPS?
    It isn't a coincidence, it's all in the terms of service for Google services.

Android harvests data from your activities for targeted advertising, including where you physically go.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    edited January 2018
    It isn't a coincidence, it's all in the terms of service for Google services.

Android harvests data from your activities for targeted advertising, including where you physically go.
    It’s possible to limit ad tracking in iOS, but to be honest I’ve found that being spammed with random crap rather than guitar-related crap is no more or less annoying. 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    57Deluxe said:
    /\ they wise to Adblock now and make you disable it to continue

The worst for me is these bloody videos in 'thumbnail' format that creep up and blare out at you and you have to navigate away from what you are reading to find them and stop them, then as soon as you navigate away they start agin
    Adblock still good for me on vast majority of sites, mainly crappy news sites that ask me to switch it off.

The whole things a fucking farce anyway, as even if I turn off adblock I'm still going to ignore/sneer at the adverts and even purposely avoid brands that advertise at me. Therefore the advertising is no more effective than if I had blocked it, it's just that the pretence that the advertising has had x amount of views can be maintained. Surely it's a bubble that's going to burst come the next financial meltdown?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited January 2018
    For those of you who don't know  - -  there is always right click sub menu - INSPECT ELEMENT

This is a useful weapon on ungainly webs as you can highlight the offending layover or element and delete it - Often those DISABLE ADBLOCK signs that get stamped across the page. You can  then read what it was obscuring. You may though, lose some functionality. I t does though, allow you to watch those USA soccer streams for Premship//Champs Lge games without a big BOX AD blocking your view!

Additionally, I have found Inspect Element invaluable on those Adult Dating sites like CougarDate where they only show one of the profile pics and the others are postage stamp sized and palliated and when you click you are sent to a subscription page. I have find a way to get to see all the pics in large format!! Thanks Inspect Element!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    I get more annoyed with the cookie consent on every single website. Which moron brought that law in? It's the internet, there are gonna be cookies.
    I always wondered about this.  I am not sure why it’s not a browser based disclaimer rather than a website specific one
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Adguard .. brilliant and secure and overcomes the problems with Adblock.

https://adguard.com/en/welcome.html

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I keep getting spam emails for penis enlargement devices.
    I can't believe they know so much about my medical records.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Duck duck go for searches, Tor for browsing. Job done. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    WezV said:
    I get more annoyed with the cookie consent on every single website. Which moron brought that law in? It's the internet, there are gonna be cookies.
    I always wondered about this.  I am not sure why it’s not a browser based disclaimer rather than a website specific one
    @WezV thinking about it - maybe because the browser’s just a vehicle for storing cookies (amongst many other things) but the number and content of the cookies is dictated by the website?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    But does anyone distinguish between number and type when clicking that button?   
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    ICBM said:
    RobDavies said:

I've never googled anything about dentistry but am currently regularly visiting my dentist regarding gum problems. Cue loads of sidebar ads on my facebook feed for dental practices in Eastern Europe.

For iphones, go to settings and check your mic settings and permissions. The only app I have that is allowed to use the mic is Shazam. For GPS stuff check your apps that want to know your location, or turn the GPS off completely if you don't need it.

Ublock Origin for PCs is essential imo for viewing the internet. Adverts pay for the internet but the agencies have taken the piss so I've installed adblockers which enable the claimed speeds of my ISP and frees up my data allowance on the phone to stuff I actually want to see, not chew through it with shit the advertisers want me to see instead.  Some say adblockers are a form of theft, but so is stealing data allowances and slowing of speeds.
    WezV said:
    But does anyone distinguish between number and type when clicking that button?   
    If they want to allow cookies from certain sites and not from others, I guess. I suspect it was designed to give the user a greater sense of security and empowerment. 

To to be honest, I reckon people just largely ignore it, or are super-paranoid and block everything. The latter type of user being a royal pain in the arse for those of us making a living coding web stacks. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    The latest iOS and Mac OS can prevent cross-site tracking now. No more of the stuff you looked at appearing as adverts on every other site you go on. Best update I’ve ever received.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    beed84 said:
    The latest iOS and Mac OS can prevent cross-site tracking now. No more of the stuff you looked at appearing as adverts on every other site you go on. Best update I’ve ever received.
    I just checked mine on my phone to double check it was enabled - it was - but also saw that camera and microphone access was allowed! Not now it isn't... why would Safari need camera and microphone access?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    ICBM said:
    beed84 said:
    I just checked mine on my phone to double check it was enabled - it was - but also saw that camera and microphone access was allowed! Not now it isn't... why would Safari need camera and microphone access?
    Nice new shirt you've got on there. Oh, and turn your telly down a bit will you please?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited January 2018
    The internet started going downhill around the year 2000, or thereabouts.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.