Em pentatonic...

What's Hot
Why does this scale work over the chord progression E, D, A, A? As witnessed in whitesnake song Spit It Out.
Is this progression a V IV I? Confused.
My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    edited January 2018
    All the notes from the scale fit over the chords, there's an E, G, A and D in the scale, which corresponds to a root note of the chords apart from the G as the lack of the sharp note (G# is major 3rd in E would clash).

The key might be G major which the relative minor is Em hence why the scale works as both share the same notes. Is the first chord definitely an E major and not minor?
  • It's E major to my ears... but I could be wrong
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    edited January 2018
    I think its a powerchord which has no 3rd in the chord (so its neither major or minor) so the G note from an Em will fit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited January 2018
    It is E major, but it has a D chord, so it’s really using the E mixolydian scale. You can either noodle in E major pentatonic - or as you have found out, E minor pentatonic, as the only disputable note would be the G (it should strictly speaking be a G#, but in blues rock, the minor / major 3rd are often interchangeable, and sometimes even played together in the same chord, à la Hendrix-chord, the E7 flat 10 chord, 07678x). Even Coverdale sings both over the E and sometimes squeezes a note between the two. 

In rock and blues, guitarists deviate from traditional classical harmony. So a song in E can have chords which are outside E major. E major would traditionally have:

E major
    F# minor
    G# minor
    A major
    B major / B7
    C# minor
    D# diminished
    E major. 

But in rock you can have
    E major
    G major
    A major
    B major / B7
    D major
    E major. 

See, all those chords can just be parallel major chords, but crucially, despite each one being major, they are built on the E minor pentatonic scale (EGABD,E). So even though every chord can be a major triad, the notes they start on are in the E minor pentatonic scale. 

That’s just rock. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited January 2018
    Drop everything down a tone and it becomes the Sweet Home Alabama progression (with all the associated arguments about which key it happens to be in).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    When it comes to rock \ pop music you can overthink the key  .... it's really only a guide to what notes \ chords might be within the piece but there's generally bits here and there which aren't technically within the key the chords imply  ..... especially when it comes to minor \ major thirds and sevenths ..... Bearing in mind on guitar we use notes BETWEEN minor and major ... notes you wouldn't even find on a piano 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • back to trusting the ear again lol
    My trading feedback

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    You can seriously overthink rock music.