Strymon Big sky alternatives

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I'm going to be on the look out for a new reverb. I want something with presents and ideally a display for easily seeing what preset/patch I'm using. I guess like the Strymon Big Sky but my budget will be nearer £150-200 (need to shift some pedals first)

Any recommendations ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You might be able to find a second hand Eventide Space for around the top end of your budget. They’re absolutely great. 
  • If you find a Space for under £200, snap the seller's hand off immediately. Preowned ones are hitting £400 on Ebay. 

For your budget, Line 6 M9 should be your first port of call.  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you find a Space for under £200, snap the seller's hand off immediately. Preowned ones are hitting £400 on Ebay. 

Couldn’t remember if mine went for a little over two or three... now you’ve said it, it was probably three
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    You’re not gonna find a Space at £200! £300, yes. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    Im a Big Sky owner and Ive tried several times to find a smaller, cheaper alternative... and there isnt one, imho !

The closest was the Digitech Polara, which is great value new and used.

Other reverbs with less flexibility but still sound and react well include;

- Talisman 
    - Neunaber Wet
    - TC HOF
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7745
    edited January 2018
    I hated the Polara. Absolutely loved the MXR M300.  Saving for an Eventide Space.  Using a HOF 2 for the time being, mostly due to space issues.....but also enjoying the TonePrint and MASH features. 
  • It's unlikely my budget will increase so a display isn't vital.  Any suggestions of reverbs with presets without a display?
  • I would have thought the MXR one was worth a look 
    I didn't know that had presets. I could do with being able to, with one press, go for say a shimmer to a hall
    I didn't know that had presets. I could do with being able to, with one press, go for say a shimmer to a hall
    I might be wrong but I thought it did - remember being impressed when the first load of demos came out 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    edited January 2018

M5 has all the same sounds, less fussy power requirements (although it still needs isolation), smaller footprint and a much lower price tag- shouldn't be more than about £70 used.

Preset switching is potentially a little more difficult than the M9- the standard mode requires you to press both footswitches, then scroll through presets to the one you want and double-press again to select it, but there is an alternative mode that allows you to stay in the menu mode and have each preset come on automatically as you scroll to it. 

Neunaber WET with their EXP footswitch should work, but even used would be at the top end of your budget.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    TC Electronic T2 - I have one and it sounds great - the Tone Print feature is awesome as is the tweakability via an app:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/t2-reverb/

The Hall of Fame is pretty good as well:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/hall-of-fame-reverb/

Neunaber Immerse is awesome:

https://neunaber.net/collections/pedals/products/immerse

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7144
    edited January 2018
    I would have thought the MXR one was worth a look 
    I might be wrong but I thought it did - remember being impressed when the first load of demos came out 
    I am wrong. As you were. 

Mr Black Supermoon eclipse would get my vote. Supermoons sound so very good. 
    I am wrong. As you were. 

The MXR Reverb does have 6 reverb types you switch between by pushing the tone dial, but no presets.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    GFI Specular Tempus - okay it's over budget but it ticks some of the other boxes and if you could use it to replace a delay as well it might make more sense. Unlikely to find one used at present I guess. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I am wrong. As you were. 

The MXR Reverb does have 6 reverb types you switch between by pushing the tone dial, but no presets.

It's a great sounding pedal but not quite what I ideally want. Really want something like Boss RV500, Big sky etc if possible - even If I have to wait a bit
  • Do you need stereo?  If not the old Source Audio dimension reverb was pretty good but only has a couple of presets.

• For your budget, Line 6 M9 should be your first port of call.  
    M5 has all the same sounds, less fussy power requirements (although it still needs isolation), smaller footprint and a much lower price tag- shouldn't be more than about £70 used.

Preset switching is potentially a little more difficult than the M9- the standard mode requires you to press both footswitches, then scroll through presets to the one you want and double-press again to select it, but there is an alternative mode that allows you to stay in the menu mode and have each preset come on automatically as you scroll to it. 

Neunaber WET with their EXP footswitch should work, but even used would be at the top end of your budget.
    I'd discounted the M5 in my head because having just one sound at a time is a restriction that would bug me and I'd move it on very quickly so I could have more more more at once :D Both of the M9's I've had were under £150. 

It's still rather mad that this year will be the 10th anniversary of the M13 (M9 came out a year after). Still one of the best bits of digital guitar kit ever in terms of user interface. 

• Do you need stereo?  If not the old Source Audio dimension reverb was pretty good but only has a couple of presets.
    No need for stereo really

• For your budget, Line 6 M9 should be your first port of call.  

I'd discounted the M5 in my head because having just one sound at a time is a restriction that would bug me and I'd move it on very quickly so I could have more more more at once :D Both of the M9's I've had were under £150. 

It's still rather mad that this year will be the 10th anniversary of the M13 (M9 came out a year after). Still one of the best bits of digital guitar kit ever in terms of user interface. 

The m9 is rather big though isn't it?  I have other effects covered do only need reverb