Strymon Big sky alternatives

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I'd discounted the M5 in my head because having just one sound at a time is a restriction that would bug me and I'd move it on very quickly so I could have more more more at once :D Both of the M9's I've had were under £150. 

It's still rather mad that this year will be the 10th anniversary of the M13 (M9 came out a year after). Still one of the best bits of digital guitar kit ever in terms of user interface. 

Depends how you'd use it I guess- if the OP only wants it for one effect anyway...

To be fair, when the range came out I couldn't work out why anyone would want the M5, but that's the one that ended up working for me.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As the OP is covered elsewhere, M5 it is then :)

• If you can use the m5 so that I can scroll through presets easily then that's a real contender.  I assume the reverbs are good as it does shimmer?
  • If you can use the m5 so that I can scroll through presets easily then that's a real contender.  I assume the reverbs are good as it does shimmer?
    The firmware is 10 years old, so I doubt it's quite as good as you'd get from a newer, more expensive pedal, but the functionality is going to be difficult to get from anything else for the price. 

The preset scrolling thing is best understood from the manual, which is online. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    I just looked at the price of the BigSky….holy crap, it's £100 more today than when I bought it, what the hell.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7745
    £vs$
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    I think my board has gone up in price by about 20%...
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Toys not on offer
  • I would have thought the MXR one was worth a look 
    I didn't know that had presets. I could do with being able to, with one press, go for say a shimmer to a hall
    I might be wrong but I thought it did - remember being impressed when the first load of demos came out 
    I am wrong. As you were. 

Mr Black Supermoon eclipse would get my vote. Supermoons sound so very good. 

The MXR Reverb does have 6 reverb types you switch between by pushing the tone dial, but no presets.

It's a great sounding pedal but not quite what I ideally want. Really want something like Boss RV500, Big sky etc if possible - even If I have to wait a bit

Well I have been round the houses with reverb pedals, but now absolutely settled on the Big Sky, it's my favourite reverb pedal by a country mile, worth the saving up and the wait.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    TheMarlin said:
    £vs$

No

Pound is $1.35 at the moment.  Was around $1.45 two years ago.  That's a drop of 7% against the dollar.  Doesn't explain a 20% price rise.

I think it's partly the importers/distributors/retailers using Brexit as an excuse to jack up prices.

There might also be some issues with the cost of components inside.  I know computer memory has gone up a lot in price (and I think that is worldwide).  I've been told that is down to the use of scarce elements.  Given all the digital technology inside Strymon stuff, it's possible that the components they use have gone up.

Whatever the reason, it's not fundamentally a £ vs $ thing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • One option is to have two reverbs - one for ambient, one for hall/room or to go for something like the Bluesky. Any good alternatives to the Bluesky - reverb with on/off and a favourite pedal switch?
  • How about the Mooer Ocean machine (iirc) The Devin Townsend thing.... Supposed to be pretty cool . . . 
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • EHX Cathedral every time.