Head room confusion - Roland JC 40

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Obviously volume is not an issue with the blues deluxe and generally it has ample headroom to stay reasonably clean. Sounds bloody lovely. 

Maybe a little trolley is the solution with another amp for home recording. 

Tell you what though Dawsons have been proper iffy with me about returns and other stuff - also iffy with family and friends. 

Hope those are isolated experiences. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    You could also try a neodymium speaker to drop some weight? I've had good results with an Eminence Lil Texas in Fender amps. 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    p90fool said:
    Clean headroom from a Katana 100 in a 9-piece band?

Not a chance, not even close.   
    Have you tried the Katana on the clean channel?  I thought you used Brown and turned it down from the guitar?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    p90fool said:
    Clean headroom from a Katana 100 in a 9-piece band?

Not a chance, not even close.   
    Have you tried the Katana on the clean channel?  I thought you used Brown and turned it down from the guitar?
    I have, and to be fair to the OP I didn't realise it was a ska band, if he's playing purely ska rhythm guitar then the Katana may be ok. 

For my purposes, where I need a clean tone to step out over a band for solos at a similar level to a lead vocal then no, it'll struggle IME, without monitoring anyway. 

Don't get me wrong, the Katana is a good amp, but it really isn't a 100w amp in traditional guitar amp terms. 

This video is worth a watch for volume context, although it's a shame he didn't do any clean playing:

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Yes - but only one monitor - which the vocalist has (naturally) so I need some volume from my amp for stage monitoring...... is that what you where thinking?
    As @ICBM has stated above JC-40 to PA and position the amp near you - I think 40W amp would be OK for monitoring. Where do you stand on stage in relation to the drummer and I'm guessing a brass section?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    Although there's only 5 and not 9 of us our singer does most of the clean skanky stuff and that cuts through without much problem even from quite tiny amps ( he has a huge collection of very cheap guitar amps like Marshall MGs). The headroom issue for him is that there's nowhere to go for a solo as single notes just disappear with that kind of sound. Thankfully that's where I come in... :naughty: 
    I'd guess the JC40 would actually work fine for old school rythmn work in context ( and we've used one in a rehearsal room and our singer loved it).
    Buy one under distance selling regs, give it a go and look after it very carefully, return it if it's no good. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Trude said:
    This video is worth a watch for volume context, although it's a shame he didn't do any clean playing:

Impressive ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • EvoEvo Frets: 307
    Somebody mentioned the DV Mark jazz stuff earlier, might I point you towards the GH250?

250w of clean headroom on that one, good mid gain tones on the drive channel too. I’ve been gigging it in a 6 piece funk band so not a million miles away from the ska tones you’re after and never had the volume over 4. 

When you see the size of it, you’ll think I’m joking. But I promise you I’m not. 

I paired it up with a DV neo loaded 212 and a 112 for smaller gigs. I had people genuinely ask why I had an empty cab when they lifted them.

And it comes in at around 350 quid for the head. No brainier if you ask me. Give em a look
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @Fretwired I stand to the right of the drummer typically and behind 2 of the four horns - as I am sure you can imagine - there isn'y usually a lot of space on the stages we play on for 9 of us - certainly no room for a monitor. I try to raise my amp and usually manage it. The PA will handle the volume in the mix - it's just so I can hear it. 

Obviously 80% of the time I am playing clean rhythm - I use an Xotic EP booster for clean volume lift and a tube screamer for a bit of gain/sustain on solo's. 

@EricTheWeary whats distance selling regs mate? I am skeptical about Dawsons - there is a kind chap on this forum who I am hoping might lone me a JC40, which I'd buy if the volume issue wasn't a problem. 

Much thanks to all contributors in this thread btw - your expertise/experience is appreciated (@Trude ;@p90fool @LooseMoose @ICBM etc) 

The Distance Selling Regulations state that your right to cancel an order starts from the moment you place your order, and doesn’t end until seven working days from the day after you receive your goods. This period is extended in cases where the seller failed to provide the required information to you after you'd bought the goods (ie after you agreed the contract with the retailer).

Seven days is the minimum legal cancellation period, and many sellers choose to exceed this, so always check the terms and conditions in case you have longer to return your items.

As this seven-day working period is the time you have to decide whether to cancel the contract, by law the seller can’t say that you must have returned the goods within this time frame.

So, basically you get a play at home testing period if you buy online. People have, for example, bought three guitars off thomann to decide which one they like and return two. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Distance Selling Regulations state that your right to cancel an order starts from the moment you place your order, and doesn’t end until seven working days from the day after you receive your goods. This period is extended in cases where the seller failed to provide the required information to you after you'd bought the goods (ie after you agreed the contract with the retailer).

Seven days is the minimum legal cancellation period, and many sellers choose to exceed this, so always check the terms and conditions in case you have longer to return your items.

As this seven-day working period is the time you have to decide whether to cancel the contract, by law the seller can’t say that you must have returned the goods within this time frame.

So, basically you get a play at home testing period if you buy online. People have, for example, bought three guitars off thomann to decide which one they like and return two. 

Perfect - If I am being honest I found it hard to judge in the store and was quite self conscious about having the amp cranked up. The demonstration model was also really noisy and crackly and they couldn't explain why. 

This is what I need - a chance to basically use it in situ. 

Appreciate it Eric. 
    It’s worth reading the small print from any online retailer to see how likely they are to play nicely on this ( although you’d have the law on your side). I couldn’t find the returns policy on the GAK site, for example, whereas on Andertons there is a lengthy policy on the site ( which more or less amounts to you damaged it you bought it) which is easy to find and gives a 14 day cooling off period. 
  • I am literally reading Andertons as we speak....
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Fretwired said:
    Trude said:

Impressive ..
    Impressive indeed.  3:40 - ambient room mic.  The Katana *50* keeping up with a loud acoustic drum kit and bass player.  Case closed methinks on whether the 100 can manage it.
    Fretwired said:
    Trude said:

Impressive ..
    Impressive indeed.  3:40 - ambient room mic.  The Katana *50* keeping up with a loud acoustic drum kit and bass player.  Case closed methinks on whether the 100 can manage it.
    Indeed, as far as driven tones are concerned.  Like I said, it's a shame they didn't do any clean playing here.  I can vouch that the 100 in 50w mode can easily stay clean at that kind of volume, but video proof would've been even better.

Trading feedback here
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Legally even with the DSR they can charge a for return postage. I'd buy from Gear4Music, never bought anything big but got a keyboard stand and some cables from them and they have a very good 30 day money back guarantee.

They collect from your house for free if it's over 20kg, otherwise there is a £5 charge for collection but you can drop it off for free at any DPD shop (usually in newsagents etc..)