Will Fender ever reissue the Electric XII?

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
Because if they do, I will almost certainly buy one.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    A mate of mine has a 90s Japanese one, maybe they'll do it again. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    When I saw this thread my first thought was "They did, in Japan when they first brought out the Jaguar and Jazzmaster."

Then I remembered I had just wanted them to, and it was actually the abomination of the "Strat XII" they did instead...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Amazing they never have - and yes - I’d buy one too....
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    ICBM said:
    When I saw this thread my first thought was "They did, in Japan when they first brought out the Jaguar and Jazzmaster."

Then I remembered I had just wanted them to, and it was actually the abomination of the "Strat XII" they did instead...
    I don't think the Strat XII is an abomination, but it sure as hell isn't a proper Fender 12.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's long overdue.
     I have one and would love another, mostly so I could keep them in different turnings. DADGAD on a 12 string is something to behold.
     I've never missed an opportunity to remind either Fender or Squier that they really ought to reissue the XII, but a few more voices wouldn't go amiss.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sign the petition on offset guitar forum. It's a good few pages deep now and has been going for years
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    ICBM said:

Ah, maybe that's what I was thinking of. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Surprised they haven't at least done a Squier version. I'm sure it would sell extremely well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I imagine a Squier version is much more likely, but I gave up waiting and made my own with a Musikraft neck and a modded Jazzmaster body.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    You could argue the Vista Series Venus XII was 90% of the way there already.  They've become rather collectable over the last 20 years, so there must surely be a market for a proper Squier XII reissue out there.  I'd have one, no hesitation.

Agree that the Strat XII was gruesome in the extreme.  Tried one in a shop once and felt grubby and ashamed with myself for the rest of the day.  Horrible thing.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If Squier were to ever get around to the XII, I would feel compelled to buy one to convert into a Maverick/Custom.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • I think I'd sooner have one of these https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/airwave-12-string

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I do like that, but it's not really the same thing.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Sign the petition on offset guitar forum. It's a good few pages deep now and has been going for years
    Rather than sign a petition, vote with hard currency. Jackson do special runs for JCOnline if enough members agree a spec and willing to put down a deposit. It's the same factory with ever increasing overlap with Strats and Dinkys/San Dimas. If Fender won't do it, Jackson certainly will, they've done Jack Butler's, a 80s Phil Collen (original archtop looks with PC1 tech), white Ghost Flame Soloist and a couple of special finishes which is in effect  a group buy custom shop order to keep costs down.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    If I remember A-level economics correctly, Fender would produce the XII when and where MC = MR (marginal cost = marginal revenue).
  • Bucket said:
    I do like that, but it's not really the same thing.
    It isn't, I agree. The similarity would seem to be that it is an electric 12-string but perhaps that's where it ends. I did like what they had to say about it though, I guess that's what makes me want one or at least want to try one.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Put it another way - I have a Shergold 12 string, which to my ears and hands is the best sounding electric 12 ever (sorry, not a Ric fan - I didn't like mine). I'd be interested in a Fender Electric 12 to have *as well as* the Shergold.

Oh and 90% of the electric 12 on Tommy is a Fender. A small %age is the Gibson Firebird 12 that he was given/lent by Gibson that ended up in various shops around London. Apparently - Mr T wasn't impressed by it...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    They've  been running the petition since the VM Jag and Jazzmaster came out. I suspect if they were going to reissue it they would have by now. Why they haven't, I don't know seeing as they brought out the Bass VI. Maybe more high-profile Bass VI players? Most E XII work goes on in the studio.

Yeah the Strat XII was rubbish apart from the proper Electric XII bridge on the original ones.

The Fender is definitely the best electric 12-string I've played.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    impmann said:

Oh and 90% of the electric 12 on Tommy is a Fender. A small %age is the Gibson Firebird 12 that he was given/lent by Gibson that ended up in various shops around London. Apparently - Mr T wasn't impressed by it...
    Simon Townshend made heavy use of a green (heavily aged Pelham Blue?) Firebird 12 when I saw him with Roger Daltrey on the “Tommy” tour a few years ago. It may not have been on the original album but it sounded spot on (and bloody fantastic) to me!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    dogload said:
    They've  been running the petition since the VM Jag and Jazzmaster came out. I suspect if they were going to reissue it they would have by now. Why they haven't, I don't know seeing as they brought out the Bass VI. Maybe more high-profile Bass VI players? Most E XII work goes on in the studio.

We need a West Coast revival, and not just for an Electric XII