Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Solved: I Needed something that Fuzzes, but Isn't a Regular Fuzz Circuit?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5833
edited November 2018 in FX
I use my Rufus Fuzz for a few songs at Gigs, but have had to sacrifice using my Wireless (Smooth Hound) because the wireless doesn't like the Fuzz Circuit, so probably won't like any regular Fuzz Circuit.

There's nowt wrong with the Wireless, it's just the way it is. I've been over it on here dozens of times, so let's stick to the title subject.

So, the only other option is to ditch the Rufus for Live shows and get some creatively engineered Fuzziness with a Wireless loving Circuit.

I had a quick neb and discovered this rather tasty piece of trickery.

The Catalinbread Katzenkonig

Sounds awesome, but does it have a Fuzz Circuit or just a normal Distortion Circuit?

Any more Fuzzy Non-Fuzz pedals you know of and can recommend?

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited January 2018
    I've been interested in that one for a while too! I believe it's a tonebender circuit into a rat circuit. So it should sound awesome. It does seem to sound like a Rat in the clips, but fuzzier thanks to the input gain control. Could be just what you're after if you're like me and wish the Rat had a bit more of a fuzz quality at lower distortion settings. 

Fuzz dogs does a clone kit for about £50 with enclosure if you fancy a DIY - I'm tempted!
  • TTBZ said:
    I've been interested in that one for a while too! I believe it's a tonebender circuit into a rat circuit. So it should sound awesome. It does seem to sound like a Rat in the clips, but fuzzier thanks to the input gain control. Could be just what you're after if you're like me and wish the Rat had a bit more of a fuzz quality at lower distortion settings. 

Fuzz dogs does a clone kit for about £50 with enclosure if you fancy a DIY - I'm tempted!

It'd be ideal to try out in the shop with my wireless, but no one local stocks this pedal. I'm not much of a DIY'er though re the Fuzz dogs, but thanks for the heads up @TTBZ ;
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    Have you tried playing with the cable tone setting on the wireless? Doing so might help it overcome its issue with your fuzz.....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I’ve got an EWS Little Fuzzy Drive, I’m not aware of it having any problems (?) with my Smooth Hound - although I rarely use it TBH. Not a vintage style overdrive, as the name suggests more an overdrive that gets a bit fuzzy. The fat switch ( not on the original full size version) is great for working with different amps. 

https://youtu.be/FzTVvaO8WBw
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    I've got an EWS Little Fuzzy Drive going spare if anyone wants it...
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    Another Fuzzdog option might be the clone of the Skreddy Lunar Module, or a genuine one if you can find one locally.

It can do fairly smooth overdrive-ish sounds, and raucous fuzz, all depending on where you set the knobs.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    Or Wampler Velvet Fuzz.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    edited January 2018
    Get a Boss FZ-2. It’s a proper fuzz but done properly . Fully buffered and immune from source and load impedance issues.

Or an FZ-3 if you want a more traditional fuzz sound.

I tried the FZ-5 but didn't like it, it didn't sound quite 'right' somehow. (Yes, I know it's digital.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Red Llama, or one of the many clones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SS/BS Mini
  • Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    All the fuzz pedals in my range work fine with wireless and buffers. Designed that way for exactly this kind of situation. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26744
    Red Llama, or one of the many clones.
    Good shout. Lovely thick raspy-but-not-trebly type thing
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    Hudson Broadcast?

Been loving mine since I got it 
  • ThorpyFX said:
    Have you tried playing with the cable tone setting on the wireless? Doing so might help it overcome its issue with your fuzz.....
    Thanks @ThorpyFX ;

I can't recall if I've messed around with that, I'd deffo forgotten that it had the function. I'll have a play.although I expect if I have to increase the "cable length" to 30 ft, it may have a knock on effect to the other pedals, but we'll see.
  • That EWS sounds good @EricTheWeary ;

If you get a chance at some point, can you give it a quick try with your smooth hound on the "cable tone off" setting. Ta Muchly!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    That EWS sounds good @EricTheWeary ;

If you get a chance at some point, can you give it a quick try with your smooth hound on the "cable tone off" setting. Ta Muchly!
    I’ll have to dig out the Smooth Hound instruction manual - I have no idea wether I have that on or off! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Thanks for the recommendations, chaps. Have you tried these suggestions with Wireless, not being funny, just wondered if I was just getting Fuzz recommendations, rather than Fuzz Type pedals with Non standard Fuzz circuits.

@ICBM Those Boss ones are pure Fuzz filth, in a good way if it's that filthy Fuzz tone one is after ;) A bit too much for me though.

• What exactly is the problem with the wireless and the fuzz? 

The only reason I would expect to have an issue with wireless and fuzz is because some old school fuzz pedals don't like buffers. Beyond that I wouldn't expect any problems. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951

@ICBM Those Boss ones are pure Fuzz filth, in a good way if it's that filthy Fuzz tone one is after ;) A bit too much for me though.
    The FZ-3 can do more traditional low-gain fuzz, although I do admit the FZ-2 is pretty much an all-out mayhem box :) - although oddly, it also has a clean boost mode...

What exactly is the problem with the wireless and the fuzz? 

The only reason I would expect to have an issue with wireless and fuzz is because some old school fuzz pedals don't like buffers. Beyond that I wouldn't expect any problems. 
    Pretty much that.

Why people still tolerate fuzz pedals that don’t work with buffers, wirelesses, other pedals or normal power supplies, when there are lots of good modern fuzzes which don’t have a problem with them (not just Boss ones ;) ), I really don’t know.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

The FZ-3 can do more traditional low-gain fuzz, although I do admit the FZ-2 is pretty much an all-out mayhem box :) - although oddly, it also has a clean boost mode...

What exactly is the problem with the wireless and the fuzz? 

Pretty much that.

Why people still tolerate fuzz pedals that don’t work with buffers, wirelesses, other pedals or normal power supplies, when there are lots of good modern fuzzes which don’t have a problem with them (not just Boss ones ;) ), I really don’t know.
    Because there is nothing like the interaction you get with a fuzzface or a tonebender, some people have become tonebender aficionados. Like a fine wine, a good tonebender or fuzzface is a  thing to behold, and in many ways, you need them to truly nail classic sixties music. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com