Holiday parks vs clubs

longshinslongshins Frets: 246
Hi there, I did my first holiday park gig last night for New Years Eve, found it to be quite similar to a club gig except tons of children racing around pand less people up and dancing... we didn’t go down as well as usual and ended up with a few nasty Facebook comments which has got me worried that the booking agent might not be best pleased.

Just wondering what kind of thing these places expect? We do a bit of dressing up and try and put on a show, no backing tracks, decent 4 part harmony vocals etc but perhaps they want more of a full on tribute act experience? Or maybe they just wish it could be the chuckle brothers every night?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've never gigged a holiday park, but have been in the audience when I've stayed at them, mainly at Haven Parks. For the most part the entertainment has been full of hyper kids that have eaten too much sugar and half gassed parents who probably aren't too interested in anything challenging as far as music goes.. Most of the time when I've been to these places it's generally been full-on tribute acts, mainly MOR pop type stuff (ABBA, Elton John, Rod Stewart, that kind of thing...) and usually set to backing tracks, maybe with a little live rhythm guitar or keyboards.
    I wouldn't take it as a reflection on your band, in these sorts of places you're pretty much background music to parents letting their kids run themselves tired while they get tanked up.

• longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    Yeah it was a weird one, I had a hunt through the venues page and indeed it’s all tribute stuff or solo acts with backing tracks, a very different vibe for sure. 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    We do a lot of the Holiday Parks (mainly the Welsh ones - Tenby, NewQuay, Trecco Bay etc etc) - we are a 4 piece Rock Band and we might be lucky but we get loads of good feedback from the crowd.

We do a mixture of stuff from the lighter Brown Eyed Girl malarkey through to Floyd and Zep/Lizzy/Jovi etc.

We tend to tame it a little 1st half with the lighter stuff and then rock up the 2nd half.
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    welshboyo said:
    We do a lot of the Holiday Parks (mainly the Welsh ones - Tenby, NewQuay, Trecco Bay etc etc) - we are a 4 piece Rock Band and we might be lucky but we get loads of good feedback from the crowd.

We do a mixture of stuff from the lighter Brown Eyed Girl malarkey through to Floyd and Zep/Lizzy/Jovi etc.

We tend to tame it a little 1st half with the lighter stuff and then rock up the 2nd half.
    Interesting! Heaviest we go is Quo... maybe we got unlucky and the crowd were expecting a higher tier act for New Year’s Eve. I’m surprised that you can do Floyd stuff and get away with it!
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I've played HRH Prog a couple of times, which is in a holiday park
    it's loads of fun... really nice event..
    play every note as if it were your first