Hard Rock Hell (H)odness

What's Hot
Okay, I couldn't think of a 4th word with H that made sense.

I am in the habit of doing online competitions. I've won a couple of tiny things. Anyway, at some point I entered to win tickets for Hard Rock Hell which is this November in Haven ( I think, it's not very clear) in North Wales. 
Not an event I'd be that bothered about really but I seem to have won the tickets so hey ho.
But:

- I have to pay £15 admin cost per free ticket ( although the full price is £99) so it's ringing some alarm bells.
- it's a two day pass with no accommodation ( the ones with accomodation are in the £500 region) so I'd need to sort something. I have a campervan so it should be possible somewhere ( there is touring parking on site although it's not clear if you can book that). Bit too far for a daily commute. 
- it just might be a bit shit. It's a bit of a dodgy line up and I'm wondering wether it'd be two days with a lot of very drunk people. 

Bit of a change, fairly cheap, relive my youth or waste of money, possibly a scam or to be avoided? 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27576
    From a quick look at the website it's an extra ton if you want to park a caravan or similar.

I'd certainly be thinking scam if they want money for "free" tickets.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Sporky said:
    From a quick look at the website it's an extra ton if you want to park a caravan or similar.

I'd certainly be thinking scam if they want money for "free" tickets.
    Wow, I wouldn't want to be spending £100 plus £30 on admin fees - 'free' starts looking very expensive. 
    I'm rapidly going off the idea. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    HRH Doom Vs. Stoner (festival in Sheffield) ran the same contest...or something along the same lines.

Last year I 'won' six tickets for me and some friends but still had to pay £10 admin fee on top for each ticket.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    It's clearly a scam.  They used to do this with hotel accommodation quite a lot , maybe they still do, you would win a free overnight stay but when you looked at the small print you had to pay for dinner/breakfast which was not optional, and often more expensive than full board in a cheap B/B.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I've gone most years on those "winning" tickets...

They are usually quite a good laugh.. cheap tickets because they get you on accommodation.. Luckily i'm from north Wales and just drive there for each day, or if i'm feeling special i have a mate in caernarfon where i crash..

But for £10 a ticket it's great, if you do get 6 tickets, and have 6 friends, splitting accommodation isn't really that bad.

Or get a chum who's a journalist to call them and offer to do a piece on it, who then gets offered free accommodation, help him interview your favorite bands then leave him to it while you get bladdered and have a great time... That was a good time! :)
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2988
    edited January 2018
    Aye. I foolishly paid the admin fee on the tickets and then realised I was playing at it!

Still a bit of a bargain considering the bands on!
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a good deal if your a local. I went last November for one night after a mate won the same, £10 each for six of us. We all live not too away far so arranged a taxi home. Remember to add cost of food and beer, not cheap. The event itself, not bad, two stages in two halls, one very large. The crowd, which seemed to consist mainly men in combats with beards and tattoos, were well behaved and not as wild as you'd imagine. Bands such as Gun, Reef, 80's hard rock/hair/metal bans, were not really my cup of tea (unfortunately I missed Airbourne who were on the night before). I'd only go again if there was a band I really wanted to see.

You could use a nearby site for your campervan and book a taxi for the end of the night, plenty of Taxis in Pwllheli/Criccieth.

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited January 2018
    I won tickets to the HRH blues festival in Sheffield, had to pay £60 for two nights accommodation. It was a good laugh, saw Bernie Marsden, Mick Moody, Mick Ralphs among others, glad I went to be honest.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I've played HRH Prog twice now..
    it's a good event... lots of fun..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Let me put it this way....I've entered that competition every year for the past 6 years, and somehow have always managed to 'win'....

However, we get a B&B instead of staying on site, and to be honest we tend to go sightseeing instead of staying to watch most of the bands. Used to be great, but last year was waaaaay too busy and full of drunk tosspots.
  • sounds like they cant sell enough tickets so run sham contests in which everyone who enters wins. i guess for the price if you enjoy it could be good fun, but i dislike the phony competition thing.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Cheers all. 

Strange process, I wonder how many people buy the tickets for £99 and then how many of them get a bit pissed off because they realise other people paid a fraction of the price.

I’m sure if I went back to the original competition that the admin fee and all that would have been explained but it is very much in a competition style so you feel like you have won something. 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Accomodation is where they make the money. Winning day tickets to an event in the figurative middle of nowhere, with limited hotels/b&bs nearby for an event of the size, no camping as it's a winter event... 
    Give away enough tickets and then point them towards the accomodation fairy.. 
    And there's the money. 
  • I "won" 6 tickets to HRH AOR in march; booked a 6-berth private static accomodation on site at a 1/3 of the quoted price via HRH. Split between me and two mates I'm looking at sub-£100 for a weekend festival with bands and music I enjoy.... that's a win for me. I could have paid that much for 3 hours of Metallica last year...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?