Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Fractal Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• @BintyTwanger77 I think @guitarfishbay has a pedalboard for backup. I think a few of the Ax8 users do too. Do you mean using them together or just two separate setups?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited January 2018
    Can I ask: does anyone here have an AX8 or Axe FX 2, and a pedalboard/amp set-up?

Financially I'm not in any way in the market for one, and I'm not gigging with the guitars just now. Just interested to hear.

Sort of.

I've got an Axe FX 2, but have always used it through traditional cabs except for recording which I do direct.  For a long time I used a Matrix GT1000FX.  More recently I picked up a Mesa 2:90, which I think sounds a bit more chunky and dynamic through the traditional cab, at the expense of tweakability (as it means running with power amp sims off).  But the Matrix still sounds good, it's just now my backup poweramp.

I also have a basic boss/dunlop pedalboard and an AMT P2 (5150 preamp pedal).  I did consider buying an amp again but the  Mesa poweramp kills two birds with one stone and can be used with either setup, plus there wasn't an amp that had a suitable clean and drive tone for my needs within my budget that also had a decent FX loop, given my only intention was to use it as a rehearsal rig when I'm recording with my Axe FX.  Besides that it's a backup.

I don't really have GAS to get another amp head again if I'm honest.  Ironically with the 2:90 I've got more power than I ever did when I had amp heads anyway, and the Axe FX can handle all the sounds I need with simple switching.
  • One thing I noticed when I got the 2:90 was man I had got used to amp gear weighing so little.  I don't know the weights but I'm pretty sure the Axe FX and Matrix poweramp together in a gator flight case weighs less than the 2:90 on its own.
  • @BintyTwanger77 I think @guitarfishbay has a pedalboard for backup. I think a few of the Ax8 users do too. Do you mean using them together or just two separate setups?
    I meant having two separate set-ups. I imagine this would be of obvious benefit to a regular gigger.
  • Yeah, I guess so, makes sense to have a backup :-)

• Can I ask: does anyone here have an AX8 or Axe FX 2, and a pedalboard/amp set-up?

Financially I'm not in any way in the market for one, and I'm not gigging with the guitars just now. Just interested to hear.

Sort of.

I've got an Axe FX 2, but have always used it through traditional cabs except for recording which I do direct.  For a long time I used a Matrix GT1000FX.  More recently I picked up a Mesa 2:90, which I think sounds a bit more chunky and dynamic through the traditional cab, at the expense of tweakability (as it means running with power amp sims off).  But the Matrix still sounds good, it's just now my backup poweramp.

I also have a basic boss/dunlop pedalboard and an AMT P2 (5150 preamp pedal).  I did consider buying an amp again but the  Mesa poweramp kills two birds with one stone and can be used with either setup, plus there wasn't an amp that had a suitable clean and drive tone for my needs within my budget that also had a decent FX loop, given my only intention was to use it as a rehearsal rig when I'm recording with my Axe FX.  Besides that it's a backup.

I don't really have GAS to get another amp head again if I'm honest.  Ironically with the 2:90 I've got more power than I ever did when I had amp heads anyway, and the Axe FX can handle all the sounds I need with simple switching.
    Man, I bet the 2:90 sounds awesome! Would love to be in front of that at full pelt. Nice setup!

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Can I ask: does anyone here have an AX8 or Axe FX 2, and a pedalboard/amp set-up?

Yes. I regularly gig with an AxeFX and Matrix Q12. The Matrix is for personal monitoring and acoustic coupling, with the main volume coming from the PA.

I also have my pre-Fractal rig: 2x12 50w Carvin Bel-Air, Crybaby, TS-9, TU-2 tuner, and a mic. I keep it for two reasons. First, it’s a point of reference, which I use occasionally. Secondly it’s a backup, which I’ve never needed to use.

The valve rig is much heavier than the digital rig. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 362
    edited January 2018
    Hey Fractal buddies, there's someone selling 4 Yamaha DXR10s for £800 on Gumtree. If it was closer I'd snap them up but its collection only from Norfolk or can meet north of London-super-Mare...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited January 2018
    Bloody ‘ell, tidy money, that.

• Some advice if possible please folks - I have a Swan Flight case which I used for my Helix with no problem. The AX8 sits slightly higher so the metal hoop stops the lid closing. I'm thinking about removing the feet to get the few mm I need. Are there any issues with this i.e. no parts are going to fall off inside???
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Some advice if possible please folks - I have a Swan Flight case which I used for my Helix with no problem. The AX8 sits slightly higher so the metal hoop stops the lid closing. I'm thinking about removing the feet to get the few mm I need. Are there any issues with this i.e. no parts are going to fall off inside???
    As I understand it, you need to put the screws back but they are a touch long so replace them with similar diameter but a shorter length.  
    There’s a discussion about it on the fractal forum - I’ll try to find a link when I get home.  
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    John_P said:
    Some advice if possible please folks - I have a Swan Flight case which I used for my Helix with no problem. The AX8 sits slightly higher so the metal hoop stops the lid closing. I'm thinking about removing the feet to get the few mm I need. Are there any issues with this i.e. no parts are going to fall off inside???
    As I understand it, you need to put the screws back but they are a touch long so replace them with similar diameter but a shorter length.  
    There’s a discussion about it on the fractal forum - I’ll try to find a link when I get home.  
    Yes, that's correct .. you'll need a few m3 screws to cover the holes. I have a bunch and can post them over if you'd like.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbellanga said:
    John_P said:
    Yes, that's correct .. you'll need a few m3 screws to cover the holes. I have a bunch and can post them over if you'd like.
    That's very kind of you, I'll see if I can source them locally, if not I'll give you a shout.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    cbellanga said:
    John_P said:
    That's very kind of you, I'll see if I can source them locally, if not I'll give you a shout.
    If that fails, I have a load as well - I used the same ones to remove the AX8 feet as it also wouldn't fit in my Swan Flight case... after I got rid of the Helix.

It's almost like looking in a mirror!
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    edited January 2018
    Just bought @DrCornelius's AX8 and getting to grips with it, so expect to see a lot of me in this thread.

Tonight I connected a Moog EP3 expression pedal for a bit of wahing. In calibration mode, it seems to be reasonable—the range is .28 to .98 or something— but the wah is unusably abrupt. It seems like the first couple of mm of travel in the pedal makes the wah sweep from minimum to past halfway. Is there a way to adjust this?

EDIT: I could also use your advice on mounting my AX8 to a pedalboard—see my other thread.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    I used to use my Axe Fx through a Marshall 2020 and a pair of Yamaha CBR12’s and it worked very well indeed. These days I use it straight into my desk and the studio monitors. After having a ridiculous amount of fun plugged into a Dr Z I’m seriously looking at selling my whole Axe-Fx setup
  • FarleyUK said:
    cbellanga said:
    John_P said:
    If that fails, I have a load as well - I used the same ones to remove the AX8 feet as it also wouldn't fit in my Swan Flight case... after I got rid of the Helix.

It's almost like looking in a mirror!
    Ha!
  • Just bought @DrCornelius's AX8 and getting to grips with it, so expect to see a lot of me in this thread.

Tonight I connected a Moog EP3 expression pedal for a bit of wahing. In calibration mode, it seems to be reasonable—the range is .28 to .98 or something— but the wah is unusably abrupt. It seems like the first couple of mm of travel in the pedal makes the wah sweep from minimum to past halfway. Is there a way to adjust this?

EDIT: I could also use your advice on mounting my AX8 to a pedalboard—see my other thread.
    Yeah you can alter the sweep to your liking.

I don’t know how to access it on the AX8 but if you find the control modifier page on your wah you can edit the points to suit your needs.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590

Take the rubber feet off and use Velcro.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Just got done after my third proper jam with the AX8. I love the sounds, but every time I've been left feeling that the amp models have too much gain and too much compression. I'm wondering if there might be some global setting somewhere I'm missing to fix this. I can't find it. None of the patches I'm using have active compressors or drive blocks. 

I've played a lot through non-master Marshalls, and I know that they are intimidating beasts. Yet here I am on the AX8 with Plexi tones happily pulling off Satriani-style licks. On a Strat. I wouldn't try that through a real 1959SLP. 

I own a JCM800 2204. Into the high input with a Les Paul, there is some clean headroom. Not much, but a little. With the same Les Paul into the AX8 Brit 800 model, with the master on max, the input drive on minimum and the input trim on 0.5, it's virtually at "Let There Be Rock" gain levels.

I also have a Princeton, and again, there is a reasonable clean headroom with a Les Paul into the high input. Much less so on the AX8 model.

Of course, it doesn't really matter if the amps aren't exact replicas of the amps they model as long as they are good, useable tones. Right now they sound great and I'm having a lot of fun, but I'm worried about setting up patches for use on actual gigs, not for home jamming, because that's where I'll need dynamic tones without too much gain, and edge of breakup tones. Right now, the amp models I would expect to do that aren't. Has anyone got around this?

My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.