Guitarist demo of the Kantana....very inspiring toanz!

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

Not taken a lot of notice of the Boss Katana, read a bit on here n watched a few demos on youtube in the past...all of which didn't raise an eyebrow till I saw this...

Now Richard Barratt is a great player and I'm pretty sure its his playing that's so selling the amp that it's making me want one. I have to restrain myself....no modelling amp can sound that good can it? :o

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Nah. There's a wall of valve amps just out of camera shot.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    I don't know who the guy in the vid is but straight away you can see he's using his playing to flatter the amp .... so many demo guys just turn out their same riffs and licks s regardless of what they are trying to demo and they try and get the gear to flatter them .... he's doing it the other way round  .... he actually listens and plays something that suits the sound the other guy has dialled in.

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Does sound good there - the cleans and break-up tones are particularly good. The high gain still has that kinda all-midrange-but-still-slightly-hollow sound to it that modellers have. But, yes very impressive.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I'll have to read on these babies at gig or rehearsal volumes! I know the Cube 30 I have sounds nice enough at home but turn that up beyond house volumes and it sounds HIDEOUS.
  • Having  just got myself a new ultralightweight head and cab and  pretty much settled on  a pedalboard, I haven't really bothered following the Katana love-ins that have taken place over the past few months. This is the first time I've actually seen or heard one and I really does  sound excellent. The classic rock crunch sounds were great .

I think the  very sympathetic playing, which is what a good demo should be, really helps to  show the amp off.
  • I'm on my second katana, having gone from the 100 1x12 to the Head. I love these things, and quite a few valve amps have come and gone while I've had one of these, and rarely got a look in. I'm expecting it to have a relatively short life compared to some 40+ year old amps that are still going strong, but for the price of them that's not a massive deal. Technology has moved on rapidly.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    ...they seemingly stuck in a time vortex though...

This is how most Katanas are played in reality...

nausea rising...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I’ve a K50 and it’s a cracking amp. It does or rather did sound a bit wimpy and brittle turned up loud for a few hours but after that it settled down nicely and I’m loving it. Sold my Mesa rectoverb as I wasn’t going to use it. 
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    edited January 2018
    I’ve got a friend dropping he’s off tomorrow while he leaves his tokai with me for a setup. Looking forward to hearing how it sounds.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    I brought my Katana 50 to the Northampton jam and several forumites played through it/heard it and doubtless formed opinions...

I think it's great, but even I find the hype a bit much.  That said the fact some posters have had a decent amount of success in swapping really quite pricey amps for the Katana for less back-breaking gigging is really quite impressive.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Same players, same intro, different amps and different guitars, and yet a remarkably similar sound.

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Wonder how much post production has gone into this? Sounds a bit slick!
    Same players, same intro, different amps and different guitars, and yet a remarkably similar sound.

The tone is clearly in the tone lounge!!
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    siraxeman said:
    Same players, same intro, different amps and different guitars, and yet a remarkably similar sound.

The tone is clearly in the tone lounge!!
    Does The Tone King know about this, or is it some kind of franchise?
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    57Deluxe said:

nausea rising...

and whats wrong with that? pretty good heavy tone there i'd say.
  • 57Deluxe said:

nausea rising...

That sounds decent - not the heavy tone I'd dial in (I'd probably have a bit less gain for a tighter palm mute) but it sounds like a good modern metal tone, sort of a rough approximation of a 6505 crossed with a dual rec or marshall. 

What's wrong with it? 
    my guess is its all one sound and playing style...so gets boring pretty fast?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    siraxeman said:
    my guess is its all one sound and playing style...so gets boring pretty fast?
    I'd imagine the ratio of most kinds of "noodling" (of which I am a horrific practitioner) are probably fun to listen to for approximately 1/100th of how long they are fun for the player!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    markj said:
    I’ve got a friend dropping he’s off tomorrow while he leaves his tokai with me for a setup. Looking forward to hearing how it sounds.
    First impression are it’s good for its price but comes no where near my valve amps.

^^what are your valve amps that slay it? :o