markjmarkj Frets: 910
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markjmarkj Frets: 910
    edited January 2018
    It sure sounds good to me.
    Just discovered  on youtube Dave Simpson,he's a character.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Done by F A Guitar Cabs. He seems to predominantly build vintage style cabs around tranny Marshall’s. Definitely nice looking units
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3297
    edited January 2018
    Why though? I saw these on Facebook, a very  expensive and brilliant looking cab built about a cheap amp. I don’t get it. *edit* not expensive at all! I’m even more confused now 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    set it on fire, that was horrible. 

It sounded exactly like what it is, an MG in a bigger cab, with horrible speakers and a horrible guitar with putrid licks being played on it.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Very valid idea. The biggest problem with most cheap amps is not that the amp itself sounds bad, it's that they use cheap crap speakers and cabinets (usually MDF). Even a half-decent solid-state amp will sound fine through a good cabinet. It's one of the main things that puts me off owning something like a Valvestate VS100 - good amp, shit cabinet.

It's a shame he's using MG100DFXs though - they actually sound OK, but they're unreliable due to the crappy fan-cooled IC power module. If he was to start doing the same thing with the Code amps...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Very valid idea. The biggest problem with most cheap amps is not that the amp itself sounds bad, it's that they use cheap crap speakers and cabinets (usually MDF). Even a half-decent solid-state amp will sound fine through a good cabinet. It's one of the main things that puts me off owning something like a Valvestate VS100 - good amp, shit cabinet.

It's a shame he's using MG100DFXs though - they actually sound OK, but they're unreliable due to the crappy fan-cooled IC power module. If he was to start doing the same thing with the Code amps...
    Are the code amps good?
    markj said:

Are the code amps good?
    I have no experience of them - which at least means they don't break down within the first few minutes :).

In fact, I have no reason to think they will at all - I've heard no reports of it from anyone, and Marshall have been very successful at fixing the problems of the MG-DFX and AVT series (and the appalling Mode Four) by the simple method of throwing out the nasty fan-cooled IC power module design entirely and going back to proper transistors and heatsinks, on the MG 'Carbon Fibre' series... these amps have been out for several years now and to date I have still not even heard of a dead one, let alone had to repair one. So I have high confidence that Marshall now know how to get low-priced solid-state amps right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• The tone is all in the rabbit lurking under his chair 

I like this guy, he's the one who gets the many different tones out of the solid state Orange isn't he?

The guitar world's Guy Martin :-)
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Vox do their own with the AC30 - its called the VR. Looks just look an AC30!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257
    Dave Simpson is great, very entertaining and a bit bonkers.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807

Turn your delay pedal off!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Just put a proper amp in it and sign me up. 
  • I have watched a lot of Dave Simpson's stuff and enjoyed it, but his vocal inflections suggest that he watched rather too much Jimmy Savile on TV when he was a lad!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    rico said:
    Just put a proper amp in it and sign me up. 
    Marshall are doing em with the guts from a Bluesbreaker in em! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    On the Marshall Amps forum there's a fellow in the USA who put the electronics of his CODE 50 into a Bluesbreaker-style cabinet.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    should have put the guts of a 80's peavey special in there, along with a couple of EV speakers.
  • I liked the part 2 video where he demoed the strat through it. Sounded good to my old lugs
    timmysoft said:
    should have put the guts of a 80's peavey special in there, along with a couple of EV speakers.
    Then it would weigh more than an actual Bluesbreaker!