Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

They missed the Audi drivers

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    With Audi, I've found the worst to be A3 drivers, presumably because they're driven by younger drivers and young drivers are dicks.
    Or because there are more A3s than any other model, so it's likely that there are more bad drivers of A3s than of any other Audi model, and it's the bad ones you remember because the good ones are unremarkable.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I guess there must be good A3 drivers, yes.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited January 2018
    I hate it when people jump into my safety gap. Even more now I have adaptive cruiser control. My car holds a gap (of my choosing, and I haven't got it set crazy big, just enough for safe stopping in an emergency) and speeds up and slows down depending on the car in front. Then you get some knob that thinks because I'm not tailgating, its a safe gap to jump into before speeding up to match my speed. This results in my car hard braking on its own.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    That's a clever car, though.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Drove down to Wellingborough yesterday for marketing conference, while on the M1 the 4th lane was closing and traffic had to merge. This slowed down the 3rd lane as 4th lane traffic merged. 

But one driver decided he shouldn't have to wait. One driver saw that the 4th lane was now almost empty coming up to the closing point. 

This one driver pulls out from the 3rd lane and speeds down the now empty 4th lane right up to the orange cones. 

This driver was a BMW driver. 

Many other drivers took issue with Mr BMW. 
    The dick was still trying to merge at the end when I rolled up a few mins later as people were not letting him in.

I waved as I drove by. 
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I hate it when people jump into my safety gap. Even more now I have adaptive cruiser control. My car holds a gap (of my choosing, and I haven't got it set crazy big, just enough for safe stopping in an emergency) and speeds up and slows down depending on the car in front. Then you get some knob that thinks because I'm not tailgating, its a safe gap to jump into before speeding up to match my speed. This results in my car hard braking on its own.
    People with adaptive cruise control are the bane of my life on the M25.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    edited January 2018
    Garthy said:
    People with adaptive cruise control are the bane of my life on the M25.
    So many people appear to drive on cruise control these days.  I’ve had a couple of cars with old, boggo cruise control and, whilst it’s probably useful on a West Virginia interstate, it was never much chop on the M62.  

A big part of motorway driving is anticipating what’s happening around you - not sitting in a chair coasting up to an inch of the car in front because you can’t be arsed to flex your right ankle.

It’s really a high-speed manifestation of people who drift towards you because they don’t want to have to change from second to first at a pedestrian crossing.

If people are jumping into ‘your’ safety gap to a point where the computer driving your car can’t cope, then it’s probably time to use your feet and eyes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    edited January 2018
    I agree with the post about Kias on page one. I saw a few drivers of assorted Korean cars today with their fog lights on blinding everyone. The fog was minimal, your vision would have maybe been impaired if you was trying to look at something a mile away...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

From one or two I've seen in the last few days, I think older BMWs are the worst.  A lot of them seem to be driven by young guys who probably can't afford a newer one, and also think they are invincible.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:

young guys who ... think they are invincible.

Theu usually do, even if they're driving Peugeot 106s.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    randella said:

So many people appear to drive on cruise control these days.  I’ve had a couple of cars with old, boggo cruise control and, whilst it’s probably useful on a West Virginia interstate, it was never much chop on the M62.  

I like cruise control for quieter 40s and 50s.

Or at least I did when I had dumb cruise control. I don't like the adaptive at all.
    Sporky said:
    randella said:

I like cruise control for quieter 40s and 50s.

Or at least I did when I had dumb cruise control. I don't like the adaptive at all.
    It wasn't really a dig at CC in general, or those who use it - it was more a swipe at folk who perceive any motorway in front of them to be 'theirs' and, should you have the audacity (however safely) to pull into it, will coast right to your bumper instead of temporarily slowing down by 2mph to maintain the gap. 

I'm bloody sure a lot of this is down to some drivers' stubborn refusal to either momentarily interrupt their CC or set the gap a bit bigger.
    I didn't take your comment as a dig at CC. :)

I think it's fair to say that a lot of people do a lot of things badly. 
    Sporky said:

Hahaha, me included I've no doubt.  No worries - realised I was starting to sound a bit militant hence the minor rowback :)

The adaptive stuff makes me uneasy.  I know software flies planes and all that, but the guts of those systems were written back in the late 70's. 

Ask any software developer.  All software has bugs in it, it's a matter of knowing where they are and what they do.  If a dev tells you their software has no bugs, they're over-confident and bullshitting, and should be let nowhere near any sort of safety-critical system.

If you've got software written comparatively recently, you haven't any idea - it's a bit worrying how people trust this stuff in two tons of metal at 90mph.
    Isn't car software written according to a very strict framework though, a bit like aviation software?

I'm not saying one should therefore trust it 100%, but it's not like the kludges you see in commercial software.

The problem I have with adaptive is pretty much what you described - it can't look ahead in the same way I can, so it doesn't know that I'm going to overtake the car in the lane in front in plenty of time, so instead it hits a threshold distance and brakes. It doesn't even just let off the go-pedal to coast.

It's OK in traffic jams though.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    randella said:
    Sporky said:

Hahaha, me included I've no doubt.  No worries - realised I was starting to sound a bit militant hence the minor rowback :)

The adaptive stuff makes me uneasy.  I know software flies planes and all that, but the guts of those systems were written back in the late 70's. 

Ask any software developer.  All software has bugs in it, it's a matter of knowing where they are and what they do.  If a dev tells you their software has no bugs, they're over-confident and bullshitting, and should be let nowhere near any sort of safety-critical system.

If you've got software written comparatively recently, you haven't any idea - it's a bit worrying how people trust this stuff in two tons of metal at 90mph.
    There was a contribution by a Volvo driver using ACC where he was in lane 1 with nothing infront of him and a car a safe distance behind. When he was overtaken by a car in lane 2, the software thought that car was too close and did a full emergency stop. The driver behind who could see a clear road ahead of the Volvo did not anticipate the Volvo stopping from 60mph and neither would anyone else if they are honest with themselves. I can't remember if there was a collision or if it was a close call but either way it was an unnecessary event because one person needed assistance to drive on a motorway.

Planes consider a sphere with a 1 mile radius around them actionable, 1000 feet is called a near miss. On the motorway we are 10 times closer than that of the Red Arrows in tight formation yet people are willing to trust a company that can't even master the simple water pump or even an ABS sensor with radar guided cruise control? It's insane.
    edited January 2018
    Sporky said:
    Isn't car software written according to a very strict framework though, a bit like aviation software?

I'm not saying one should therefore trust it 100%, but it's not like the kludges you see in commercial software.
    Oh god no - it's a whole different ball game from mine and every other commercial dev's world (do you want it working, or do you want it Friday?).

They use blind teams in parallel and heaven-knows what else methodologies, and it's tight.  I did a bit of reading about it once and it's impressive.

Thing is though, it's still being written by humans who are writing code to cope with horribly, horribly complex and often unpredictable data.  Think about how complex the human brain is, then multiply that out over however many human brains there are operating vehicles at speeds of between 50 and 90mph in, say, 500m stretch of M40.
    God I don't half reuse words.  I can write quite well most of the time.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    crunchman said:

From one or two I've seen in the last few days, I think older BMWs are the worst.  A lot of them seem to be driven by young guys who probably can't afford a newer one, and also think they are invincible.

There's something in this. The E46-shape 3 series (so the late 90s/early 2000s one) seems to be at full-on banger status at the minute, the point at which values can't get any lower and all the shit ones are being run into the ground by people who don't really have the means to treat them the way they should be treated.

Round here I see so many lowered E46 coupes with horrid wheels and the de rigueur obnoxiously loud exhaust.

https://rmsmotoring.com/garage/carimages/i13772.jpg
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    randella said:

Thing is though, it's still being written by humans who are writing code to cope with horribly, horribly complex and often unpredictable data.  Think about how complex the human brain is, then multiply that out over however many human brains there are operating vehicles at speeds of between 50 and 90mph in, say, 500m stretch of M40.
    Aye - I'm not belittling the astounding complexity of the problem.

I have enough trouble automating a quote spreadsheet with VBA.