The next les paul(s)

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    I have done on the last few builds so this one will have weights at various points too.  It’s useful for me to look back at
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    My Spanish cedar burst has really underwhelmed me despite being under 9lb, I was thinking of doing a thread for suggestions

It's the only guitar I've ever made that is not what I expected, whereas my African mahogany ones sound great, the difference is staggering

I'll be watching with interest as usual
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Is it an acoustic difference, or plugged in?

i have had guitars that don’t quite do it for me before, but really suit others.  I have also had guitars that just needed tweaking and playing in a bit.  Don’t give up too soon

or just use it as practice for relicing and finishing stuff... with both my Moderne and recent goldtop I was not happy with the way the played until they were reliced.. they just felt loads better once I had the patina where I wanted it.

amd then there is just preference.  Get opinions off others you trust.  It might not suit you, but it could be just right for someone else.   I have had people prefer stuff I didn’t like, and not like stuff I thought was miles better.

its rare a well made guitar put together with good materials will be a total dud
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:o
    Is it an acoustic difference, or plugged in?

i have had guitars that don’t quite do it for me before, but really suit others.  I have also had guitars that just needed tweaking and playing in a bit.  Don’t give up too soon

or just use it as practice for relicing and finishing stuff... with both my Moderne and recent goldtop I was not happy with the way the played until they were reliced.. they just felt loads better once I had the patina where I wanted it.

amd then there is just preference.  Get opinions off others you trust.  It might not suit you, but it could be just right for someone else.   I have had people prefer stuff I didn’t like, and not like stuff I thought was miles better.

its rare a well made guitar put together with good materials will be a total dud
    I might have to do a seperate thread, it's not a dud just not good enough for my taste, sounds like someone stuffed a blanket over it or rolled the tones back

It's ok unplugged but not quite as bright as the African ones, I swapped the Faber bridge to a pigtail which was better, the pickups are a mojo low wind 
    I even took the whole wiring out put it in the African one and it's an incredible difference

I'm going to take it apart and work out why when my workshops done starting with frets and fretboard and maybe take the neck out

I'm also thinking of a big belly contour to take weight off it, very interesting although annoying 

People say wood doesn't matter should listen to the difference
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Me tooTeyeplayer said:
    WezV said:

This one in a dark Oxblood please, light relic treatment too, and no rear binding. 
    This ^ very much this.
    Me too. That could move to Hinckley for a much longer stay than Earth 52 managed!

Swiftly followed by the oxblood. Dibs!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    ellwood said:

Me too. That could move to Hinckley for a much longer stay than Earth 52 managed!

Swiftly followed by the oxblood. Dibs!
    The Earth 2 '52 left Hinckley before it arrived! 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    merlin said:
    The Earth 2 '52 left Hinckley before it arrived! 
    Schrödinger‘s Earth 2 '52 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Seriously @WezV : having seen pictures of @merlin ‘s uber sexy gold top this thread has my utmost attention :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    edited December 2017
    both bodies now cut out

oddly, they are both now weighing in at 6.4lb???   Thats possibly because i chose to cut away most of the  sap wood on the one piece body,

the one piece looks much nicer from the back 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just spent the last hour or two prepping  wood for these two

all the tops, fretboards and necks are now ready to go, and  got a spare top to boot

The necks and mahogany  tops are old stock honduran, a gift from a woodworkers widow.   I got loads of big wide planks, some too heavy for bodies and too erratic for necks, but it makes nice tops where the extra weight pushes it a bit towards maple tonally. 

I also got some big long square chunks which are perfect neck wood.And i will be going one piece with dual CF rods this time to make the most of this wood, usually I laminate.  the rods will not be solid CF bars, but hollow rods as i think this makes the neck controllable and predictable without making it too stiff

here is the neck blank

roughly cut for 2 long full width tenon les paul necks

Indian rosewood and ebony to go with them

Here are the tops - ths started as one long plank.   I think B is too nice to paint

and the sycamore

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    WezV said:
    And i will be going one piece with dual CF rods this time to make the most of this wood, usually I laminate.  the rods will not be solid CF bars, but hollow rods as i think this makes the neck controllable and predictable without making it too stiff

I used square CF tubes in Sporkbaster 1 for that reason - I did the sums and if I'd used solid with the same cross-section I'm not sure the truss rod would have been able to move anything. The square ones are a lot easier to work with, at least with the tools I have.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    i must admit I have not tried box section, i got a load of rods a few years back when it seemed relatively difficult to find anything in non-industrial quantities.     I will try some when the rods run out
    tFB Trader
    I'd be interested in any difference tonally or anything else with the carbon rods and a normally constructed neck

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    I'd be interested in any difference tonally or anything else with the carbon rods and a normally constructed neck

The reason for going for less stiffness in the rod is to reduce the tonal impact.  I think Les paul necks benefit from a bit of flexibility, whereas a more modern design often suits a stiffer neck 
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:

The reason for going for less stiffness in the rod is to reduce the tonal impact.  I think Les paul necks benefit from a bit of flexibility, whereas a more modern design often suits a stiffer neck 
    I get that part and totally agree with you on stiffness, are you putting a 2 way truss rod in as well

I make mine with a traditional rod and maple filler strip, I thought these were stiff enough so I'd never put carbon rods in, it's still very interesting how others build 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Yeah, 2-way rod.  The bars are for stability and predictability, not just stiffness.  Think of them as helping to control variation in the wood.

the layout will have an affect too, I put them parallel with the truss rod, others but them parallel with the sides which is stiffer and helps with twist prevention.

there are many ways you can vary it, mine just gives the wood a bit of help
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    What’s the ballpark price for a DC Jr? Following this thread with interest! 
    rico said:
    It’s not a straightforward answer and this is where I start to sound flakey.

At the moment I just build what I want and sell it on to fund the next builds when done.  It’s all done between a full time job and 2 young kids, so I can’t make it a viable career just yet.  

Aftet these 2, and the Firebird that’s nearly ready for paint, I will probably take a short break from building Gibson styles to develop some other skills and work on some aspirational builds.

i don’t see there being a DC junior in the foreseeable future, although I do really like building them so you never know.  

The up up side is that when I do have a guitar for sale, it’s usually well priced
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    rico said:
    It’s not a straightforward answer and this is where I start to sound flakey.

At the moment I just build what I want and sell it on to fund the next builds when done.  It’s all done between a full time job and 2 young kids, so I can’t make it a viable career just yet.  

Aftet these 2, and the Firebird that’s nearly ready for paint, I will probably take a short break from building Gibson styles to develop some other skills and work on some aspirational builds.

i don’t see there being a DC junior in the foreseeable future, although I do really like building them so you never know.  

The up up side is that when I do have a guitar for sale, it’s usually well priced
    What's the aspirational builds Wez

I can't finish or build anything for maybe a month because of workshop building, big pita at the moment, I just get to look at what's being made 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited January 2018
    More acoustic and archtop stuff.  I had a good start on the acoustic stuff but life got in the way... I want to revisit it later this year
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom