thebreeze said:
    I’ve just got the popcorn in.
    I'm staying in too...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    We gots to know...
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    Is it just me or does there seem to be quite a lot of issues with these considering how few must be out there? On the Facebook group there’s always someone with problems. Not trying to stir up shit but genuinely interested in one for the future.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Now that is some support from an amp builder :)
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Definitely keep us posted, I have worked on J20s but not a J40, The main chassis layout is exactly as you would expect, but the reverb and vib/trem modules are pretty tightly packed, particularly the reverb which has the send / return valves and the reverb TX mounted on it.  
    He’s a drummer so not amp minded.

Tell him to plug a guitar into the amp B)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Sure he’s not got the speaker plugged into the extension jack? - that’d do it
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • koss59 said:
    Is it just me or does there seem to be quite a lot of issues with these considering how few must be out there? On the Facebook group there’s always someone with problems. Not trying to stir up shit but genuinely interested in one for the future.
    My best mate uses a J20 (which I bought on his behalf as he was out of the country at the time) - it has behaved perfectly and as other people have said Jesse is a top bloke who absolutely stands by his products. I am afraid that as time goes on it is more and more poor vacuum tubes which seem to cause the majority of problems in amps.

HTH

Dave
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    Had my J20 since 2012 and it’s performed flawlessly for a bit of balance...
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Given it has been shipped I would re-iterate check the speaker terminals if he hasn’t got round to it yet
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    I've got a really early J20 that I probably got sometime around 2007.  Only problem in all that time was the contacts on the input jack socket needed cleaning.
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    crunchman said:
    I've got a really early J20 that I probably got sometime around 2007.  Only problem in all that time was the contacts on the input jack socket needed cleaning.
    exactly the same for me .. solved in a sec with WD40
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    cbellanga said:
    crunchman said:
    WD40? Is that good to use on jack sockets?
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    Gadget said:
    cbellanga said:
    crunchman said:
    worked perfectly for me (cleaned the residue with a cloth after)
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    Gadget said:

Not really, no. You're better using proper contact cleaner - WD40 leaves a bit of a sticky mess, which attracts more dirt, which means the problem comes back sooner.

R.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Part 2 postponed until Saturday. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Gadget said:

Not really, no. You're better using proper contact cleaner - WD40 leaves a bit of a sticky mess, which attracts more dirt, which means the problem comes back sooner.
    I use WD-40 on pots, but only as a second attempt solution if proper contact cleaner has been tried at least twice and failed - because then it's a shot to nothing, since you'll have to change the pot anyway otherwise. It very often does work, and as far as I've seen it doesn't tend to leave enough of a residue to attract further dirt, as long as it's in a closed amp chassis.

And *don't* ever use it on rotary encoders such as the ones Line 6 use on the Variax guitars - firstly it won't do anything useful, and secondly I have it on extremely good authority from @impmann that it will attack some of the plastic parts inside and wreck the component.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I keep meaning to buy some Caig Deoxit, which I've been told is ideal for such things. Expensive though.
    edited January 2018
    Gadget said:
    I keep meaning to buy some Caig Deoxit, which I've been told is ideal for such things. Expensive though.
    But bloody magic stuff. I got a can earlier this year and it's fixed a dodgy power connection on a mixer, some switches and pots in a Chapman Stick, and pretty much paid for itself.
    Philtre said:
    Gadget said:
    But bloody magic stuff. I got a can earlier this year and it's fixed a dodgy power connection on a mixer, some switches and pots in a Chapman Stick, and pretty much paid for itself.
    Good to know. Thanks.