living on a quiet road v's a busy road. pros/cons

What's Hot
which do you prefer and why?
pedal fiend
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I am amazed that you need to ask the question!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CarewCarew Frets: 9
    edited January 2018
    why?
    there are pro/cons
    pedal fiend
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    having lived in a relatively busy road and now living on a very quiet road, the only con of the quiet is when you do get a noisy  car on it (like some bell end with the stereo on full blast) is that it really stands out. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    We live near the end of a small cul-de-sac of 14 houses. 

We chose this one over several similar houses on the same estate because, at the time we bought it, we had 3 pre-school-age children and it just felt safer.  It helped that several of the neighbours also had young children.

That was nearly 35 years ago, and we're still here - of course the kids have all grown up and gone their own ways.  Now we call it Crumbly Corner, because 5 of the 14 houses still have the same owners as in 1983!

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I can’t think of a single pro for living on a busy road, so my choice is obvious.
  • Lived in an over busy terraced houses area close to town where you struggled to get a parking space and constant noise.

pros - could walk to town

now live in a road of 44 semi detached houses most(including ours) have drives. We are the other end of the main road it comes off and is very quiet and a great area.

cons - long walk to town

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Someone list the pros of a busy street?

Might be worth adding I'm on a cul de sac and have 2 children!

But even back in Uni quiet was good, providing I could walk places
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16004
    I live on a farm half a mile up a private farm road 
    PROs ; Beautifully secluded, private environment .Quiet. 
    CONS; Long walk before you even hit the road if you want to walk anywhere
                 Nobody finds it easily
                 Flytippers Paradise (only had 5 separate events this Xmas ...........9 last year ! )
                 Cabs often refuse to drive up the road
                 Teenage daughters can never walk home from school/ evening out as lane is unlit and dangerous for single women 
                   12 years ago I caught a pervy weirdo hiding in the bushes wearing a horror type mask .........a week later a dogwalker was sexually assaulted in the adjoining field on a footpath !
                 Surface is rough and it's crap for skateboarding !
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    The best thing about living on a quiet road is hiding in the bushes wearing scary masks.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There are no pros to a busy street
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    We live in a cul-de-sac (what does that even mean?) and it is quiet but could be quieter, the amount of people that cruise down way too fast, turn in the circle at the end, only to speed out again, get's on my fucking wick.

Some years ago when the close was full of 3-7 year old kids it was great in summer, all the kids would be out playing it the close with their bikes with stabilisers, Little Tikes cars, toys etc, I used to love coming home from work and they would all scatter off the road and when I had parked my son would come running up shouting "Daddies Home!, Daddies Home!..." I would sweep him up in my arms and give him a big hug.

I miss those days...

Now the kids have all grown up, wear hoodies and Vans and are generally miserable...

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I'm sat in a restaurant by myself wearing a hoodie and vans. 

Dad?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    Break-ins are probably less likely on busy roads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    I live on a street that happens to be a handy short cut between two busy roads.

The good things are good transport links and many shops within walking distance.    Within a 5 minute walk I have 3 big convienience stores, Chinese, pizza and 2 chip shops, 2 chemists, 4 pubs(2 good ones), a bloody good butchers, home brew shop, hospital etc....  fire, police, ambulances are all within a mile

but its noisier, kids like to sit on my front wall, people like to block the driveway, drunks like to sing in the street, cars like to beep at each other for blocking the busy street.

All my houses since I was 8 have all had similar traffic, not all have had the amenities.  Oddly they have all had a street light right outside my bedroom window so the light pollution doesn’t bother me too much anymore.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11800
    There are no pros to a busy street
    It will be gritted when it snows.
    Even Yodel can find it.

But neither is worth it if you can find a nice place away from the noise. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    It will be gritted when it snows.
    I see that as a con... you can’t say you can’t get to work because you’re snowed in!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Well there's a bus stop directly outside of my house .... that's a pro if you catch buses no ?

There's also a Co-op shop, a pub, an Indian restaurant, Chinese restaurant and Fish  Chip shop on my road within a 10th of a mile from my house .... that's a pro when your hungry or have run out of beer  :)  

I live on a buy road but my drive is so long you don't really notice the noise from the house, and I have parking on the drive for 6 cars so parking isn't a problem. You do get pissed up people returning to their homes after gigs at 1:20 AM in the morning but I'm normally one of them so it doesn't affect me :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    LuttiS said:
    I'm sat in a restaurant by myself wearing a hoodie and vans. 

Dad?
    You're no son of mine. My kids have friends...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited January 2018
    I love on a main A Road, when we were house hunting we wrote as list of desirable attributes thus
    2/3 beds
    Detached
    Off road parking
    Reasonable size garden
    Easy access to dog walks without having to use the car

We ended up on a main road as the house ticked all the boxes
    As a result there is a bus stop 50 yards away
    A rural train station 5mins walk away
    Across the main road and down a short gravel track is a fenced cliff top park
    Another 7mins we are on the beach

I only really notice traffic if a blue light goes past.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    By far the biggest con for living on a reasonably busy road are the other road users that are far too impatient to wait 10 seconds for you to park the car. That said, when we moved a few years ago, this was the only house out of 40 or so we looked at that wasn't like living in a car park, especially the cul-de-sacs which all had cars on every available space. Apart from the parking thing,its much quieter and less stressful than I thought it would be. Crime, especially burglary is non-existent which according to that police website seems to be focused on the traditional residential areas.

The ambient noise level means that you don't notice a herbert with a shot exhaust, or hear your neighbours (it's always tricky to check on a 87 year old lady to make sure she isn't dead). I didn't notice the farmer behind us playing with a chainsaw until I let the dog out into the garden.

I lived in a cul de sac before, to be honest it drove me nuts as you hear EVERYTHING! Bloody clocks ticking, next door's central heating creaking, someone 100 yards away having a loud conversation....

Next time I'll try and get a happy medium. Though we live in a small village with farmland all around, the road is is fairly bust as it links some large towns.