What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Spy: really, really funny, far better than I thought it would be. Melissa McCarthy as hilarious as ever, some cracking one-liners, and Jason Statham almost steals the show as the rogue agent.

Date Night: absolutely loved it, I'll watch anything with Steve Carell anyway because he's a fucking master, Tina Fey great as always.

Dinner For Schmucks: patchy, but some really funny scenes, again, Carell is superb.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    Watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2, possibly better than the original, if its a super hero movie its up with watchmen, alter egos and kick ass as one of the best.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    @munckee - Watchmen! Yes, I also think its a cracker, though plenty don't

Soon to be series by HBO. That could be good.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    The Autopsy of Jane Doe. 

Lowish budget but some pretty creepy moments. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    Remember. Christopher Plummer and Martin Landau as a couple of Jewish guys in an old people's home who’ve been in Auschwitz. Really well acted (especially Plummer) and some clever plot twists. It’s a freebie on Prime, well worth a watch.  
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Supersonic, the Oasis docu. Very well put together, even if you don’t like them for the music that much it’s worthwhile as a snapshot of that time....and the ‘interesting’ relationship between the brothers. 

On the iPlayer for a while yet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22713
    Supersonic, the Oasis docu. Very well put together, even if you don’t like them for the music that much it’s worthwhile as a snapshot of that time....and the ‘interesting’ relationship between the brothers. 
    I watched that over Christmas.  I'm not a fan of the band at all, but thoroughly enjoyed the film, it's very well done.

Meanwhile, behind the times as always, I just watched Spectre.  Wow, what a non-event.  It's so flat.
  • On New Year's Day I went to see The Good, the Bad and the Ugly at the Prince Charles (London rep cinema), which was full (partly because it was £1 a ticket for members), and although the film won't be new to anybody it was amazing to see it in a cinema full of people totally into it. There's stuff I'd never really noticed before because watching on the TV it's easy to get distracted, but in the cinema there's nothing to do but watch the screen. Well, I suppose you could look at your phone and chat with your friend, but none of us did that because we weren't arseholes. 

Anyway, I think I'll try and see more movies I've never seen in the picture in the pictures, because it can be wonderful if the audience is arsehole-free.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc Sec.

I didn’t love it ( on Amazon BTW) but it’s certainly interesting. Sort of French Indiana Jones/ The Mummy starring the insanely attractive Louise Bourgoin . I think this is the full version as it has Louise ( Adèle) taking her kit off, there was an edited PG version as well apparently. 
    I spotted the delightful Thomas Dutronc playing over the end credits which was a bonus. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6143
    Arizona Dreams - an early appearance of Depp in Kusturica's first US-made movie. Also has Faye Dunaway, Vincent Gallo and Jerry Lewis. It's ... odd. Surreal, sort of deep, often daft, farcical and tragic. I'm not sure there's a point to it? Maybe that is the point. 4/10 for now.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I'm 3 movies into MCU. Skipped Hulk as I've seen before and remember it being a bit pants like. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    The Autopsy of Jane Doe. 

Lowish budget but some pretty creepy moments. 
    Agreed! Great film comsidering there are pretty much only two people in it, worth watching...

Bright.
    Fantasy cop drama, some great effects, racial inequality between Humans and Orcs. Elves and Fairies feature too, in a run down gone to ratshit LA, Gangs roam the streets, everyone hates the cops, but there is a doomsday device, in this case a magic wand, of enormous power to be kept out of the hands of the bad girl....forumla stuff in a different package, Will Smith saves the world again!........
    Slated by the critics, but what do they know? One mans Fish is another mans Poisson!
    I loved it!.....8/10
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Paddington 2 I'd give 9/10. 
    Yep, went in with the little one thinking that it would just be a kid's film and it was bloody brilliant.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6143
    After Life - A Japanese film about exactly that. Not religious or supernatural, no ethereal choirs, heavenly clouds nor angels. Instead a very humanist, charming idea about the spirit passing on. Low-key drama, understated scenes and brilliant acting - like a lot of Koreeda's movies. 8/10
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1299
    Kingsman: Golden Circle
    Amusing.  Grotesque. Ridiculous and OTT in a good and entirely unnecessary way.  Elton John really shoehorned in too.

The first is far better, but this was entertaining.  6.5/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Hostiles. Western in which a reluctant Christian Bale is given the task of returning a handful of Cheyennes back to their homelands. Entertaining enough but something a little bit unsettling about the way it goes about trying to be politically correct. 7/10.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4684

Lego Ninjago Movie.  5/10.  A few laughs but after the first lego movie it's all getting a bit formulaic.

The highlight was before the film,  there was a Now TV advert on with Morph and Chaz of Tony Hart fame.  My missus leant over and said is the other one is called 'Mindy?'

'Mindy?' I replied.  She said, 'yeah, they were called Morph and Mindy when we were kids weren't they?'

Then just into the film, Jackie Chan came on and she asked, 'Is that wax on wax off bloke?'

Unbelievable.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    Moonlight.

I so wanted to like this, but no. It was fucking crap.

1/10.
    Deadman said:
    Moonlight.

I so wanted to like this, but no. It was fucking crap.

1/10.

Interesting.  The combined forces of the Oscars, Golden Globes, BAFTA, SAG, Kermode & Mayo, etc are against you.... but you could be right.

I haven't seen it, doesn't really appeal to me.

It Comes at Night

Low-key post-apocalyptic sort-of-thriller with some mild horror trappings... it's well-acted but bleak and unlikeable.  I don't think it actually has very much to say.