Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lucky ones...

What's Hot

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Well I know a lot of people  can say this, but she was honestly the best gran I ever could have had. 

I owe it to her to repay just a small amount of that favour! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    she will appreciate every minute @joeyowen times precious sounds like you are doing a grand job there mate
  • Death is a dick :(

Make memories with your Gran now while you can. Looking back at memories of lost loved ones is all they leave behind.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

I'm going to bump this from the past (feel free to skip, not a happy read).

A long overdue update on my Gran, I just need to get my thoughts down in brief

So 18  months ago I made this? Roughly?  Not sure!

I remember my Gran finally being well enough to go home, and she told me she wanted to wait until (Lisa and mine) next baby was due, which was a few more months.  Lisa spent a lot of time getting bigger in hospital waiting rooms!  We then (laughably) were scared to take baby to meet gran, just in case that was all she wanted shall we say.  But we did.  And Me, Lisa, Toddler and Baby shared many happy times together over the last year.  Beautiful memories.  To think, from months in ICU to home!

Her health got worse from week to week, then better for a bit, then worse again.  She spent a lot of time in hospital, having many little strokes.  Then she made it home, but chair bound.  Then into a home.  But she'd have good days for sure.  And we were visiting regularly.  You try telling an 85 yr old lady to stay sat down when a 3 year old is running about.  Fun times.

Anyway, I fear (selfishly) that the day may be upon us.  We were all called to the hospital tonight.  She hasn't been right for a while.  She needs emergency surgery in the morning.  If she doesn't (and she may not be well enough), then that is that.  If she does there are massive massive risks, and they're not sure she'll make it.  To be honest, they aren't sure she'll make it through tonight.

But i'm so proud of her.  Without even trying she managed to get from being declared about brain dead, to running round with a 3 year old.  She has her faith, and she believes my Grandad is waiting for her, she is at peace with all of this.

It just isn't quality of life anymore. Social active people don't deserve to be medicated in a bed 247.

All of this gave me the chance to sit and spend time with her as a person, not a grandparent.  Bless her she was so condescending even though i'm 27 ha.

I left the hospital tonight, gave her a kiss, told her I loved her.  She went to sleep with a smile.  And just like that, I'm back to 18 months ago, checking my phone constantly.  Taking it hour by hour.  I honestly don't know the best outcome.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Thoughts are with you and your family mate. Hoping for the best outcome. We’re all here if you need owt.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    Thanks man.

She made it through the night.  Surgery is going ahead. It'll take a while. I'll sit and wait
    I'm still updating this for my own thoughts really

So Weds night she was OK, made it through the night which was great.
    Thursday day she was supposed to go in first thing but the emergency theatre was busy most of the day which I supposed isn't a nice thing to think about...

What was nice is that she has been off a lot of her medication for nearly 48 hours at this point, so she was much more coherent and we managed some small happy conversations.

Last night she went into theatre at about 2245 and came out about 3 this morning.  She made it through that as well.  Bloody invincible this woman!  

So now recovery again.  I'm starting to name her the Gran who cried wolf.  We have been told so many times now that we need to see her, and it isn't looking good.  But she just carrys on.  Important thing is, she isn't in any pain. Well, at least that is what she is telling us.

I need more coffeeeee
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Supergran!

Fingers crossed, and thoughts with you, matey.

• Best wishes!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    @joeyowen: On the bright side, you may have inherited some of her amazing powers of recovery.

One thing I observed when my Mom (sadly deceased), was in hospital, is that the nurses do not have the time to help the elderly folk who are unable to feed themselves. The kitchen staff bring food for the patient, and if it is used, then fine. If not, it is cleared away and the elderly are left hungry and dehydrated. It is down to relatives to make sure that they have had something to eat and drink. The nurses in her ward  may be able to supply an energy drink, Ensure, if she is unable to eat.    

It is a stressful time. . . . I know!!! 

Best Wishes that your Gran recovers well.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    Good luck Joey, hope your gran continues to defy all the odds.  ;)
    Thanks everyone, it is appreciated. I'm well aware we all go sometime, and she has had such a great run. I'm just so proud of her for fighting so well.
    rocktron said:
    @joeyowen: On the bright side, you may have inherited some of her amazing powers of recovery.

One thing I observed when my Mom (sadly deceased), was in hospital, is that the nurses do not have the time to help the elderly folk who are unable to feed themselves. The kitchen staff bring food for the patient, and if it is used, then fine. If not, it is cleared away and the elderly are left hungry and dehydrated. It is down to relatives to make sure that they have had something to eat and drink. The nurses in her ward  may be able to supply an energy drink, Ensure, if she is unable to eat.    

It is a stressful time. . . . I know!!! 

Best Wishes that your Gran recovers well.

Sorry to hear about your experience. To be fair, some wards have been awful. But the medical care has been great overall, and her current ward is amazing!
  • @joeyowen. Stay strong... and stay proud of your gran... I'm sure she's totally proud of you.
    Just a happy bump to say it was her birthday today! We took some pictures the kid had made, and the family got her flowers.

We got some smiles as we read out all her cards

A happy visit!
    Sad bump, today they have withdrawn all medical support. Now it's just making her comfortable. We've been told 2 days max.

However, we've been told she is about to die 3 times before. Emotional Rollercoaster. But I think this is it. But we've heard it before.

We haven't seen her awake since her birthday. But that was a very nice time together. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Sorry to hear that, Joey - but she'll know when it's time.  Good that she enjoyed her birthday with you.

All the best, Supergran!

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Fingers crossed for you all man.
    Roughly about now is the 48 hours she was given, super gran continues!  She is comfortable, and it is near.  

One thing I hadn't said before is how much my gran liked football and played guitar.  I always thing at 27, lecturer, Dad of 2, that playing guitar was uncool at my age... but it gives me hope that the coolness comes back, because it is totally cool when someone is in their 80s!
    It's getting ridiculous... 4 days since she was last given food, water or any medical care (aside from pain meds and anti seizure).

Colour, good, pulse fine, breathing fine.

I get a headache if I don't drink enough in 1 day.

That's all folks

She passed peacefully this morning about 5am.  We were there late last night and she was peaceful, I knew last night would be it (Although I'd thought that before). After a night of me having nasty dreams about it all, we got the call about 5 am. We didn't make it in time, but a healthcare sat and held her hand the whole time until we got there.  She looks so peaceful.  It was nice to see.

So officially, the 7th time we were called in, she passed.  

I'm upset of course, but at the same time so happy she is at peace.

84 years young :)

Without sounding selfish, I'm relieved at not having to be half living at the hospital anymore.  I'm a lecturer with 2 kids, and I was finding myself there almost every night for hours.  Wouldn't change it for the world, and I was sad leaving the room today for the last time.  Going to dedicate a lottt of time to the mrs now, she's been great.  Last night I got in from work about 8, 5 minutes later I went up to the hospital until past 10.  She's totally cool about it all.

Going to play some guitar (after some marking) 

Thanks all for the thread, I just needed somewhere to put these thoughts down.

ps, I found out this morning about a conversation my grandparents had about leaving absolutely everything to the great grandkids.  So skipping to generations and leaving everything to a 3,2 and 1 yr old.  Didn't half make me laugh.

pps, I also found out someone was cremated with a coconut and it exploded.  Which also made me laugh for more than I should admit.